Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 12:22 PM

6 posts, read 18,429 times

Advertisements

My husband just accepted a new job, he originally applied thinking it was closer to home when in reality it's not. It will be in RIDC park on 28. Our kids are still in preschool so we have some flexibility on where to live.

We are quite invested where we are in Moon- have a nice house with low taxes since we bought it several years ago... but the commute is a bit intense. His commute down 65S to 28N has been okay, 65 has some pretty rotten traffic around McKees Rocks bridge, but he said it's decently bearable (takes 50 minutes on a good day to 90 minutes on a bad day).

Considering moving to Hampton/Allison Park or Richland Twp. I am originally from Butler county but we never hung out around Rt 8 so I know next to nothing about it. Can anyone tell me what it would be like commuting down Route 8 South to outbound 28 during the morning rush, and then inbound 28 to Route 8 North during the evening commute? What time can my hubs reasonably expect to gain for his commute time if we were to move to a house that's somewhere around the Route 8/Turnpike junction? Is 910S a viable option as well? (I know a portion is shut down for turnpike bridge construction, but assuming that it's back open and operational this coming fall). Obviously turnpike is the best most direct route from Hampton to Rt 28, but we're not too keen on spending $500 a year on tolls.

School districts are important in our decision where to move, Moon Area is generally ranked in the top 15 or so (and all of their schools have been completely renovated the last decade!), and we know Hampton and P-R are both steadily in the top 10. I would prefer not moving to a district that is lower ranked than where we already are... and yes, of course, Fox Chapel is too expensive for us. But, we need some commute info to help sway our decision... thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 12:41 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,533,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsync View Post
My husband just accepted a new job, he originally applied thinking it was closer to home when in reality it's not. It will be in RIDC park on 28. Our kids are still in preschool so we have some flexibility on where to live.

We are quite invested where we are in Moon- have a nice house with low taxes since we bought it several years ago... but the commute is a bit intense. His commute down 65S to 28N has been okay, 65 has some pretty rotten traffic around McKees Rocks bridge, but he said it's decently bearable (takes 50 minutes on a good day to 90 minutes on a bad day).

Considering moving to Hampton/Allison Park or Richland Twp. I am originally from Butler county but we never hung out around Rt 8 so I know next to nothing about it. Can anyone tell me what it would be like commuting down Route 8 South to outbound 28 during the morning rush, and then inbound 28 to Route 8 North during the evening commute? What time can my hubs reasonably expect to gain for his commute time if we were to move to a house that's somewhere around the Route 8/Turnpike junction? Is 910S a viable option as well? (I know a portion is shut down for turnpike bridge construction, but assuming that it's back open and operational this coming fall). Obviously turnpike is the best most direct route from Hampton to Rt 28, but we're not too keen on spending $500 a year on tolls.

School districts are important in our decision where to move, Moon Area is generally ranked in the top 15 or so (and all of their schools have been completely renovated the last decade!), and we know Hampton and P-R are both steadily in the top 10. I would prefer not moving to a district that is lower ranked than where we already are... and yes, of course, Fox Chapel is too expensive for us. But, we need some commute info to help sway our decision... thanks for your input!
I think I would probably take Route 8 and then head north on 28. The issue is that sometimes you have a bit of traffic that would back up on 28 north of RIDC. This is when there is a wreck. If you are worried about the traffic look for houses just over the Hampton line along Route 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh