Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 15,205 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
I will be working at upmc and moving to waterfront apartment complex(managed by lincoln eastern management company) located in munhall/homestead .....this complex is right across waterfront mall....I heard about recent reports of breakin into cars parked in mall/complex (which i think possible considering big mall in place..) but what kind of other incidents--theft/shooting or anything else.// any information is appreciated....Thanks again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 10:21 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
A friend lived there with his girlfriend and they thought it was fine... they only moved out because they wanted to buy a house. The apartments are pretty nice and obviously very close to plenty of shopping. They are seperated enough from Homestead that they should be fine. Waterfront sees a lot of traffic, most of which is harmless. There was a shooting at the movie theater there about 2 years ago... it was a huge deal, all over the news, and resulted in a huge police prescence for a long time. It is definately not the norm, more of a "nowhere is 100% safe" sort of thing. I go there all the time and never had any significant safety concerns aside from locking the car door, etc.

I wouldn't wander into Homestead though, its not a good area and is definately one of the worst parts of Pittsburgh. If taking long walks outside through the community is your thing, I would find somewhere to live.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:05 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Just an idle thought, but that development reminds me of the sort of communities one often sees in retirement areas, where the residents ride on golf carts to the shops in the open-air mall across the street. Accordingly, I always imagined if our parents for some reason decided to move to Pittsburgh, we would encourage them to look there.

Anyway, The Waterfront is basically its own neighborhood, in that it is pretty obviously separated from the nearby neighborhoods where it is nominally located, and the residences are even more separated because the shops are in between. So I am not sure there are good crime statistics available for that area, but I would guess it is pretty darn safe.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:25 PM

237 posts, read 859,781 times
Do people really consider Homestead one of the worst parts of Pittsburgh?

I find this really hard to believe. It is a depressed little town (and no, not a Pittsburgh neighborhood) but I can think of far worse neighborhoods and towns. I can even think of a few occasions where, yes, I did walk around Homestead.

Bong - are you sure you are not confusing it with Homewood - which is a city neighborhood & is notorious for its crime level?

Old 04-14-2008, 12:59 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
I'm sorry, in retrospect, I think I did exagerate a little bit. Homestead isn't the worst area in Pittsburgh... or even really "one of the worst" but I still wouldn't call it a very nice area especially in comparison to the relatively upscale waterfront shopping area and apartments. It's very run down and dumpy.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:26 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Last year I was on a blind date with a girl from Butler. Somehow we ended up driving through Homestead. I asked if she ever heard of it. She said yes, it's on the news all the time. There's lots of murders there.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:27 AM

353 posts, read 825,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmal View Post
Hi guys,
I will be working at upmc and moving to waterfront apartment complex(managed by lincoln eastern management company) located in munhall/homestead .....this complex is right across waterfront mall....I heard about recent reports of breakin into cars parked in mall/complex (which i think possible considering big mall in place..) but what kind of other incidents--theft/shooting or anything else.// any information is appreciated....Thanks again...
There have been some recent robberies and shootings... very recent. I think there was one there last week. It's not the nicest place to live. I wouldn't recommend it. The Waterfront seems to have just become of magnet for crime, attracted to the little bit of new money there. It's a nice place to go for entertainment on weekends before 2am when there are a lot of people around, but I would be concerned for the safety of anyone down there during the off hours.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:00 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Last year I was on a blind date with a girl from Butler. Somehow we ended up driving through Homestead. I asked if she ever heard of it. She said yes, it's on the news all the time. There's lots of murders there.
I strongly suspect she was confusing it with Homewood.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:48 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
^ You're probably right. I was so shocked by her remark that I don't remember my follow up to correct her.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:12 AM

299 posts, read 1,008,830 times
Homestead does have one of my favorite Chinese restaurants, Me Lyng. It absolutely is a depressed, run-down area. But I don't know enough about it to say how safe it is.

The Waterfront is separated enough from Homestead proper that I wouldn't worry about living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh