Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 10:09 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
When did the city lose "100's of thousands of people due to no work"?
Population from 1960-2010

604,332 (16)
520,117 (24)
423,938 (30)
369,879 (40)
334,563 (52)
305,704 (59
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 10:21 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post

604,332 (16)
520,117 (24)
423,938 (30)
369,879 (40)
334,563 (52)
305,704 (59
So in 50 years time? Not sure where you'd fit 600k+ in da 'burgh today and I'd bet it wasn't because 300,000+ jobs were lost. I could see maybe 100,000 due to jobs.

You do realize people moved from the city to surrounding areas/burbs?

50 years time and your idea of the importance of sports is of zero relevance...but a huge number of people that have moved from the area have carried the 'burgh team passion with them. A huge reason the Stillers are one of the most popular teams every year.

Most every pro sport team has players that attended college and most got the opportunity via scholarship. Many of those kids now are good/great role models for the younger generation who will one day fill their shoes. This process has repeated itself since its inception and will continue to do so.

Last edited by erieguy; 03-09-2016 at 10:37 PM..

Old 03-10-2016, 05:59 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post

604,332 (16)
520,117 (24)
423,938 (30)
369,879 (40)
334,563 (52)
305,704 (59
Look at the number of occupied housing in the city not just population. Kids that grew up in the city moved to the suburbs in droves during the last 50 years. My grandparents still live in the city, but I grew up in the burbs. So alot of the decline had to do with declining family size, not just people leaving.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:09 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Look at the number of occupied housing in the city not just population. Kids that grew up in the city moved to the suburbs in droves during the last 50 years. My grandparents still live in the city, but I grew up in the burbs. So alot of the decline had to do with declining family size, not just people leaving.

This is true, I believe the region just recently hit a new high in terms of workforce population, but the city limits population is still very low compared to last century. Families today have fewer kids, so smaller households. More singles live in the city, while more families live in the burbs.

People leaving the cities after WWII was due to many factors but certainly not limited to Pittsburgh, or even industrial cities - it was a phenomenon everywhere due to changing lifestyles and wide availability of cars. It wasn't due to lack of jobs.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:08 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
I would imagine that more women are in the work force now than in past.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:18 PM

5 posts, read 5,911 times
Thanks everyone for your feedback! Didn't mean to start back and forth(s)!

To clarify, I wasn't just mentioning skin color, nor having necessarily more Asians in the class. Perhaps, I should've clarified. We are Asian Americans (my husband and I were born here and so were my children) - we've moved around a lot within the U.S., lived abroad (Spain and Germany). I want diversity in terms of socioeconomics, culture, race - ALL of it. Being where we are now, kids are all the same. They come from generally the same income, live in generally the same kind of home, have access to same types of resources - talk about Edward Scissor Hands. It's not life. It's not reality. The kicker is I want my kids to attend an Elementary School with outstanding academics. This is non-negotiable. Yes, we understand what this implies (socioeconomics and or race profiles of each school)... but we're just trying to do our due diligence. To see which school has most of the things we are looking for.

I was relieved when my husband was relocated to Pittsburgh. It's going to be have more of what we're looking for than our current town. It's all relative, I guess! We love Pittsburgh so far, from our visits.

Knowing that NA is larger, which may create more competition... I guess I will lean on my parents' advice since I was young - don't fear competition. Surround yourself with people who are better than you!

Thanks again, for everyone's candid opinions! This has been super helpful!!

Old 03-11-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejo1881 View Post
Thanks everyone for your feedback! Didn't mean to start back and forth(s)!

To clarify, I wasn't just mentioning skin color, nor having necessarily more Asians in the class. Perhaps, I should've clarified. We are Asian Americans (my husband and I were born here and so were my children) - we've moved around a lot within the U.S., lived abroad (Spain and Germany). I want diversity in terms of socioeconomics, culture, race - ALL of it. Being where we are now, kids are all the same. They come from generally the same income, live in generally the same kind of home, have access to same types of resources - talk about Edward Scissor Hands. It's not life. It's not reality. The kicker is I want my kids to attend an Elementary School with outstanding academics. This is non-negotiable. Yes, we understand what this implies (socioeconomics and or race profiles of each school)... but we're just trying to do our due diligence. To see which school has most of the things we are looking for.

I was relieved when my husband was relocated to Pittsburgh. It's going to be have more of what we're looking for than our current town. It's all relative, I guess! We love Pittsburgh so far, from our visits.

Knowing that NA is larger, which may create more competition... I guess I will lean on my parents' advice since I was young - don't fear competition. Surround yourself with people who are better than you!

Thanks again, for everyone's candid opinions! This has been super helpful!!
Most of the better school districts aren't socioeconomically diverse. For the most part the students are middle class and up. The Fox Chapel Area School District is the one top district that has a fair amount of poor students. Quaker Valley also has kids that come from all walks of life.

I don't think you will go wrong if you pick a house in the following school districts, Fox Chapel, Hampton, Pine-Richland, Mars, North Allegheny and Quaker Valley. All of which are north of the city and sort of close to the turnpike. Each district has their pros and cons. You might like one district over another based on the availability of houses in your price range.

Good luck with the housing search.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:02 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
What is no one ever recommend the Mount Lebanon school district on this site? It's with a better districts in the Pittsburgh metro area. Is it just the tunnels? Do suburbanites find the area too urban?

Old 03-11-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
What is no one ever recommend the Mount Lebanon school district on this site? It's with a better districts in the Pittsburgh metro area. Is it just the tunnels? Do suburbanites find the area too urban?
The OP wants/needs to live near the Turnpike.

Plenty of people love Lebo.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:22 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
The OP wants/needs to live near the Turnpike.

Plenty of people love Lebo.
Maybe my sense of geography is off, but how is Fox Chapel close to the turnpike?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh