Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:19 AM

632 posts, read 1,739,566 times

Advertisements

America's Most Miserable Cities - Forbes.com

Forbes ranked America's most miserable cites, based on weather, commute times, crime, tax rates, and toxic waste.

Guess what? Despite all the bitching and moaning on this site about all 5 of the above items, Pittsburgh didn't make the top ten.

However, a number of cities that are often used to paint Pittsburgh in an unfavorable light did make the list. These include:

#4 - NYC (land of everything exciting, unlike Pittsburgh's provincial dullness)

#5 - Philadelphia (a "true" eastern city, unlike Pittsburgh's provincial midwesterness)

#7 Los Angeles (wasn't this supposed to be paradise on earth for at least one City-Data Forum troll?)

And last but not least, the oft mentioned...*drum roll*

Charlotte, NC, coming it at #9. Yes, Charlotte, which is supposed to be just like Pittsburgh except 1000 times better in every imaginable way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 11:48 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Ha; I saw that story too. In all honesty, I did not expect to see Pittsburgh on the list. But Modesto, CA and Charlotte, NC were real surprises to me.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:54 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
And I always think of where I was born (Detroit) when people lament about Pittsburgh's decline after the steel industry collapsed. As this index rightly shows, Detroit has done a far worse job handling a similar problem (the collapse of the auto industry).

So while Pittsburgh certainly isn't perfect, it could also be much, much worse.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:57 AM

Oh, and I am personally not surprised to see some of the places which were part of the housing-fueled boom (like Stockton, LA, and Charlotte) hit this list--I expect even more will in the near future.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:56 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
Quote:
Forbes ranked America's most miserable cites, based on weather, commute times, crime, tax rates, and toxic waste.

Guess what? Despite all the bitching and moaning on this site about all 5 of the above items, Pittsburgh didn't make the top ten.
Quote:
Charlotte, NC, coming it at #9. Yes, Charlotte, which is supposed to be just like Pittsburgh except 1000 times better in every imaginable way.
HAH!! You really made me laugh subdivions. Very cute post, thank you. What you said is so true, lol!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:06 PM

632 posts, read 1,739,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
HAH!! You really made me laugh subdivions. Very cute post, thank you. What you said is so true, lol!
I'm glad I could brighten someone's afternoon on this cold, snowy day!

Old 02-12-2008, 05:57 PM

394 posts, read 1,430,270 times
I was surprised to see providence on this list. I almost moved there instead of PGH because everyone told me it's a great place to live,ect. I'm definitley NOT miserable here, so maybe I made the right move after all.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Oh, and I am personally not surprised to see some of the places which were part of the housing-fueled boom (like Stockton, LA, and Charlotte) hit this list--I expect even more will in the near future.
Stockton? Not exactly the garden spot of the earth, and I doubt had much of a housing boom.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Stockton? Not exactly the garden spot of the earth, and I doubt had much of a housing boom.
This is from the slide show accompanying the Forbes article:

"The population of the Stockton metro area soared 28% over the past 10 years as people looked for affordable options to the pricey Bay Area. The population flow helped home prices jump 158% between 2000 and 2005, but they have fallen the past two years, as Stockton has one of the highest foreclosure rates in the country."

Old 02-13-2008, 10:20 AM

85 posts, read 286,625 times
Stockton does not have high incomes and homes are expensive, hence the defaults.

I lived in NYC for four years and I liked it at the time, but I am not surprised to see it on this list. The only thing I miss is the variety of restaurants. Crime, taxes, corruption, commute times, expensive everything, miserable winters, sweltering, stinking summers, no open space, abrasive locals...... you can have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh