Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 08:13 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,223,692 times

Advertisements

As they say, all the good ones are leaving Pittsburgh for greener pastures;

High-tech help hard to find for Uber in Pittsburgh | TribLIVE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 06:16 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post

I really don't see the point here. Either uber needs to lower their standards or pay more. I think the problem is a lack of entry level jobs in Pittsburgh that help these people get experience, and the lack of commitment to teaching people on the job. I can't really feel bad. You moved to Pittsburgh to save money and then complain about the lack of job base that comes from the more expensive cities. I would gladly sign up to work there tomorrow if they were looking for someone with my skills.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:17 AM

121 posts, read 110,946 times
Wish I would have studied computer science. That's where the $$$ is.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:23 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post

Except, that's not what the article says at all. It says that Pittsburgh does not have a enough seasoned tech professionals from which to hire. The city has a lot of mid career job openings. Local grads don't qualify for the jobs.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:27 AM

354 posts, read 475,664 times
Uber's ideal candidate is a CS/Automotive engineering double major with a decade of Python experience. A big part of it is they just have extremely specific skill sets they are looking for.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:28 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Except, that's not what the article says at all. It says that Pittsburgh does not have a enough seasoned tech professionals from which to hire. The city has a lot of mid career job openings. Local grads don't qualify for the jobs.
Yeah. Just looked over the listings. Most are very specific tech oriented and require 5 years of experience.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:36 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Maybe if you hire away an entire department from CMU, you find it hard to get people because the rest of CMU isn't being helpful?

Old 04-15-2016, 06:46 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
I really don't see the point here. Either uber needs to lower their standards or pay more. I think the problem is a lack of entry level jobs in Pittsburgh that help these people get experience, and the lack of commitment to teaching people on the job. I can't really feel bad. You moved to Pittsburgh to save money and then complain about the lack of job base that comes from the more expensive cities. I would gladly sign up to work there tomorrow if they were looking for someone with my skills.
I agree. It's hard to feel bad for them, considering they want seasoned employees and has minimal entry level jobs. It's hard to leave SF to take a pay cut and try out a whole new city all at the same time.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:49 AM

6 posts, read 6,111 times
If Uber can afford to hire "100 of the right people" right now, then they can afford to hire a couple of trainers and make their own "uber technology bootcamp" where new cs grads get a crash course in the skills they need to do the job. For all the time and money they waste trying to attract outsiders, they could cash in on local talent for less than they'd pay elsewhere (the talent is still here, even if the experience is not).

I get it. Programming and engineering are skills that take time to develop. But an eager, young mind with good direction can get caught up faster than I think many tech employers realize.

What if these tech companies worked more closely with the universities? Maybe they can sponsor some scholarships, or even professorships, that push the skills the companies really need. Why not go in and grab the sophomore/junior CS/IS/Engineering major and encourage them to take a sequence of courses in modern programming languages (sponsored by tech companies) with the promise of a paid internship, and maybe employment, upon graduation? I bet plenty would sign up to take the "Uber-sponsored Python course". I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

I don't think it is realistic to expect the city of Pittsburgh to turn itself into a silicon paradise at a pace that will make an immediate impact for these companies. The schools provide employable resources. Those resources could be improved upon, but it is going to take some interaction and maybe a new learning model.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:18 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiz View Post
If Uber can afford to hire "100 of the right people" right now, then they can afford to hire a couple of trainers and make their own "uber technology bootcamp" where new cs grads get a crash course in the skills they need to do the job. For all the time and money they waste trying to attract outsiders, they could cash in on local talent for less than they'd pay elsewhere (the talent is still here, even if the experience is not).

I get it. Programming and engineering are skills that take time to develop. But an eager, young mind with good direction can get caught up faster than I think many tech employers realize.

What if these tech companies worked more closely with the universities? Maybe they can sponsor some scholarships, or even professorships, that push the skills the companies really need. Why not go in and grab the sophomore/junior CS/IS/Engineering major and encourage them to take a sequence of courses in modern programming languages (sponsored by tech companies) with the promise of a paid internship, and maybe employment, upon graduation? I bet plenty would sign up to take the "Uber-sponsored Python course". I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

I don't think it is realistic to expect the city of Pittsburgh to turn itself into a silicon paradise at a pace that will make an immediate impact for these companies. The schools provide employable resources. Those resources could be improved upon, but it is going to take some interaction and maybe a new learning model.

Exactly...it's going to take some time for us to change our weather patterns, completely price everyone out of the housing market, and substantially increase our homeless population. They basically want a cheaper version of SF amenities, but SF is not cheap because of those things. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh