Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 01:38 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
You are reading its policy wrong.

I'm not saying that they were mandated to rent to Cruz. I'm not an expert (or even a lawyer) and details matter. It is a complicated area and school districts are certainly allowed to control their facilities and reject events for various reasons. They may even be able to reject all outside events. I'm saying that a government body can't allow some types of outside events and have a blanket "no politics" policy.

I think this is in general a good idea and necessary for democracy.
I don't know if I (or Chenango County School District, for one quick example) would agree with you there:

"Use of facilities for political meetings or rallies is not permitted."

http://www.cvcsd.stier.org/Downloads...acilities2.pdf

That's the result of a 30-second google search BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 02:57 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Maybe Cruz will have the rally, but not use advertising in the school.

Why do I get the feeling that we wouldn't be having this discussion if it was Hillary renting the Gateway school?

Old 04-23-2016, 03:14 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post

Why do I get the feeling that we wouldn't be having this discussion if it was Hillary renting the Gateway school?
Because we wouldn't...with any Democrat, actually.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:49 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I don't know if I (or Chenango County School District, for one quick example) would agree with you there:

"Use of facilities for political meetings or rallies is not permitted."

Note that in the second paragraph they start with "Use of the facilities will be in accordance with the requirements of the United States and New York State Constitution..." It's like a lawyer was there.

There are many campaign events at public schools around the country. Quick googling found a similar event for Clinton, Sanders, Trump, and Kasich.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:53 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Note that in the second paragraph they start with "Use of the facilities will be in accordance with the requirements of the United States and New York State Constitution..." It's like a lawyer was there.

There are many campaign events at public schools around the country. Quick googling found a similar event for Clinton, Sanders, Trump, and Kasich.

Kasich is appearing at Montour this evening, and Sanders will be at the Pitt Field House this morning.

Traffic alert particularly for those looking to go to or through Pitt's upper campus this morning or early afternoon. Sanders is popular with college students with his promise to provide a free education to them if elected.

What are the policies of Montour and Pitt in regards to political events?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh