Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 08:15 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,037,335 times

Advertisements

I live in McCandless, and like Copanut, I am pretty old. I have lived in this community for over 30 years. I have three children (one of whom has special needs and had an IEP) who received superior educations through the North Allegheny School District. The district itself is nationally acclaimed as one of the best in the region, the state, and the country. The community amenities are extensive, and is very safe. The proximity to downtown Pittsburgh, and the ease of getting to the city events have always been pluses for my family and me. I am now retired and have the financial resources to relocate virtually anywhere in the country, but I have chosen to stay in the McCandless community- it is, and has been, an absolutely tremendous place to call home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 08:43 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainlove View Post
You would do well in Mt.Lebo or Fox Chapel school districts for the commute to downtown and school districts! (Please ignore gg's comment by the way...about not fitting in).
You do know Fox Chapel is a nature preserve. Mt Lebanon is better suited for someone from an area around NYC. Geez people are very sensitive these days about everything.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:18 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,535,271 times
We have a couple of boys ages 9 and 8. They play lacrosse. Don't know about Football or baseball but the top high school lacrosse program is historically Mt. Lebanon. Although, now Mars is ranked #1 right now. At the youth level, Upper St. Clair, Mt. Lebanon, North Allegheny, Seneca Valley, Pine Richland, Mars and Fox Chapel (PYLAX) all have pretty good youth programs. Your 10 year old is getting to the point where some of his peers are playing lax year round on a tournament team in addition to their local team. These are not really tied to a school district. We only a few. Some are north of the city and some are south of the city.

As far as football. Most of the bigger districts have decent youth organizations. Don't move to Fox Chapel Area School District if you care about football. Our team usually stinks.

Most of my friends that have kids that are focused on baseball have their kids on "train" with year round baseball academies (Diamond Dogs, All American, etc.).

My point is really that most of the "top" school districts have decent youth sports programs.

GG is right if you hated Wexford, you probably should look at Mt. Lebanon because it is the district that is most different from Wexford (which is a mailing address and not a town).

One of my kids has an IEP and we have been very pleased with the support he has received in the Fox Chapel Area School District. The one thing I would say is a lot of times parents really only have first hand knowledge about their district. I would imagine that we would see no difference in support if our child went to the other top schools (Mt. Lebanon, USC or NA). Just a guess but at some point as you compare Fox Chapel with the schools that are "ranked" lower at some support offered would be different. Where this happens I have no idea.

Last edited by robrobrob; 05-16-2016 at 09:26 AM..

Old 05-16-2016, 10:14 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,397,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfds View Post
We currently live in Bethel Park. We would certainly consider moving to USC or Mt. Lebanon for the better schools if we could afford it.
I grew up in USC and now my son goes there, I know alot of people from Bethel. I don't think there is a big difference between the districts

Old 05-16-2016, 11:45 AM

68 posts, read 84,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I grew up in USC and now my son goes there, I know alot of people from Bethel. I don't think there is a big difference between the districts
Bethel Park has really gone downhill in terms of overall school performance.
School Performance Profile: Bethel Park HS

USC is one of the best school districts in the state:
School Performance Profile: Upper Saint Clair HS

It's probably going to get worse as income segregation continues unabated. We may have to consider either private school or moving to a better district.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:39 PM

598 posts, read 748,542 times
If I had to move again, I'd still stay north of Pittsburgh. Anywhere north of McCandless. As others mentioned, amenities here are extensive, schools are the best in the state, very little traffic congestion and great parks.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:23 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,397,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfds View Post
Bethel Park has really gone downhill in terms of overall school performance.
School Performance Profile: Bethel Park HS

USC is one of the best school districts in the state:
School Performance Profile: Upper Saint Clair HS

It's probably going to get worse as income segregation continues unabated. We may have to consider either private school or moving to a better district.
I thought after the new high school was built they would have been a better district.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:51 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,971,727 times
If you value walk ability, then Aspinwall or Mount Lebanon. If you don't, I'd suggest looking in the Avonworth district, specifically Ohio Township. It's a quality school district that is getting better by the day. Within a couple years it will be at or above the Fox Chapel school district, and it's closer to the city than North Allegheny.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:03 PM

373 posts, read 378,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Within a couple years it will be at or above the Fox Chapel school district.
Shots fired!

Old 05-16-2016, 04:03 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
You do know Fox Chapel is a nature preserve. Mt Lebanon is better suited for someone from an area around NYC. Geez people are very sensitive these days about everything.
Pretty sure Seven Fields on the Mars/Cranberry border is also a nature preserve so I'm not sure that counts as anything in regards to the OP. Fox Chapel is an older demographic and it's area really doesn't suit many with children or have many close conveniences.

With IEP, I would certainly look to McCandless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh