Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 10:38 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,926,060 times

Advertisements

I have some friends coming into town for a week, in a couple weeks. I was thinking of going down to the Strip for a few hours, but we can't go on the weekend like normal. How is it during a weekday? Obviously it's not as crowded, but are the shops all still open for business as usual and worth a trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 10:49 AM

121 posts, read 110,929 times
Most shops will still be open and the lack of congestion will make parking a lot more easy to find.

I recommend hitting up Gaucho for lunch (BYOB, too) if you are looking to grab a bite to eat for a reasonable price.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:57 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Keep in mind that a number of shops down there will close at 3pm or 4pm on weekdays. But pretty much everything is open and it is less crowded.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:02 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
I vastly prefer the Strip on weekdays. You can get around better, and you can actually DO things, like chat with the merchants and taste samples.
I usually go on Tuesdays.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:20 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times
It's bustling on weekdays, too, which I find better than the packed weekends. It's more enjoyable walking around without clogged sidewalks.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:18 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I just came back from a walk out my front door down to the fountain at Point State Park and back via Penn Avenue through the Strip District, and it was hopping with the nice weather today. Not as many of the vendors were out, obviously, but there were a few of them, and all of the stores and restaurants were open. I walked by a new authentic Mexican food stand right next to The Savoy (former Dulcinea Bakery storefront), and it smelled fantastic! Surprisingly enough it also looked like the Pho place a few doors up from Gaucho was busy---pho is the last thing I want when it's in the 80's outside, but to each her or his own!

I also recommend not forgetting to stroll up and down some of the side streets and Smallman Street, too. There was NO LINE at Gaucho today when I walked by. On weekends the line goes outside and sometimes almost up to the first pylons of the McCullough Bridge, and it can take 45 minutes of waiting just to ORDER your food! If you find Gaucho (highly recommended) to be too busy for your liking when you're here I'd also suggest trying out the Smallman Galley on 21st Street between Penn & Smallman (between Pamela's and The Thin Man Sandwich Shop). It's an incubator space for fledgling new restaurants to get their footing on the cheap and develop a following so they can eventually transition into their own brick-and-mortar storefronts. There are four different restaurants in there right now. You order at whichever one you'd like, pay, and then sit down in a food court-styled area, and they will bring your order to you! It's a great way to discover hot new restaurants before they're even a "restaurant"!

We live in Polish Hill, which is adjacent to the Strip District, and we've thoroughly enjoyed it. There are some great deals on fresh produce to be had at two different vendors. There's one on the right-hand side at Penn & 19th and another about a block or two down on the left-hand side just past Penn Mac, which is another place I highly recommend. You'll also want to walk through Wholey's, Penzey's, In the Kitchen, Mon Amee Chocolatiers, Sunseri's, Strip District Meats, Grandpa Joe's Candy Shop (get some SURGE soda for a caffeine kick!), La Prima Espresso (one of my favorite local roasters in the city), Peace Love & Little Donuts, Chicken Latino OR Reyna (if you want great Peruvian or Mexican food, respectively), Pittsburgh Popcorn, and a few others.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:24 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,926,060 times
Excellent everyone, just what I wanted to here. And we will be out of there by 3 so that is perfect. Thanks!!

Old 05-31-2016, 12:29 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
I think 3PM is early for a lot of places down there - my experience is that they close at 4:30 or so, but will keep things open until 5PM if business warrants it.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:31 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I think 3PM is early for a lot of places down there - my experience is that they close at 4:30 or so, but will keep things open until 5PM if business warrants it.
This has also been my experience. With all of the new condos and apartments being built in the Strip District these days I can easily see more places staying open until 7 PM in the future so Strip-dwellers who work Downtown can have time on their walk/bike ride home to grab groceries, sundries, a bite to eat, etc.

It's a shame Marty's Market wasn't able to "stick it out" because I think their location is actually prime for a grocery store in about another three years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: