Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 07:17 PM

3 posts, read 5,919 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I recently found out I'll be moving to Pittsburgh, and I am looking at an apartment in Green Tree. It's near Mansfield Avenue. Is that a safe area? I'm a female, so I tend to be overly cautious of these things, and I'd rather not get tied into a year long lease in an unsafe area.

Also, what is the deal with taxes there? Someone told me you are taxed less since it isn't technically in the city? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 07:28 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngnashprofessional View Post
Hello!

I recently found out I'll be moving to Pittsburgh, and I am looking at an apartment in Green Tree. It's near Mansfield Avenue. Is that a safe area? I'm a female, so I tend to be overly cautious of these things, and I'd rather not get tied into a year long lease in an unsafe area.

Also, what is the deal with taxes there? Someone told me you are taxed less since it isn't technically in the city? Thanks in advance!
No part of Green Tree is dangerous. There is a little gritty residential neighborhood called Rook down by the railroad tracks, but it's just a part of the borough which is old with run down houses.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:15 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,921,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngnashprofessional View Post
Hello!

No, Green Tree is a very safe community. It's suburban in nature, but still extremely close to the city.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:46 AM

140 posts, read 166,335 times
Greentree Is very safe Also quite convenient to most everything..

Regarding taxes, the Pittsburgh region is made up of a bunch of independent municipalities instead of one large city, Greentree is just outside of the city limits and governs itself independently from Pittsburgh..
Wage taxes in the Pittsburgh: 3%
Wage taxes in Greentree (and most other municipalities): 1%

Old 06-29-2016, 06:11 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMan_152 View Post
Greentree Is very safe Also quite convenient to most everything..

Regarding taxes, the Pittsburgh region is made up of a bunch of independent municipalities instead of one large city, Greentree is just outside of the city limits and governs itself independently from Pittsburgh..
Wage taxes in the Pittsburgh: 3%
Wage taxes in Greentree (and most other municipalities): 1%
The converse of course is property taxes are much higher (on the school side) than in Pittsburgh, but that's really something you only feel as a homeowner - it doesn't seem to translate into higher rents.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:44 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,962,366 times
Greentree is very safe. My wife and I have lived here for about a year and it's a great community. Wish there were more sidewalks, but otherwise it's very safe and a nice place to live.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:44 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
They have a real problem with jay walkers out there. Other than that, pretty crime free.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:16 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
They have a real problem with jay walkers out there. Other than that, pretty crime free.
I agree. Pedestrians ought to be sticking to the sidewalks!

Oh wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Greentree is very safe. My wife and I have lived here for about a year and it's a great community. Wish there were more sidewalks, but otherwise it's very safe and a nice place to live.
In all seriousness Green Tree is fine. It has a Starbucks AND an Olive Garden so you can dip your breadsticks into the frappuccinos! What more could one ask for?

Old 06-29-2016, 11:35 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,534,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
No part of Green Tree is dangerous. There is a little gritty residential neighborhood called Rook down by the railroad tracks, but it's just a part of the borough which is old with run down houses.
I knew a person who is/was a junkie. This is where she lived. From what she said this area is nothing but trouble. She fit right in. Her house was haven for other junkies. She was lucky if she had all of her utilities on at the same time.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:43 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There is a little gritty residential neighborhood called Rook down by the railroad tracks, but it's just a part of the borough which is old with run down houses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I knew a person who is/was a junkie. This is where she lived. From what she said this area is nothing but trouble. She fit right in. Her house was haven for other junkies. She was lucky if she had all of her utilities on at the same time.
Interesting. I suppose sometimes appearances can be deceiving because although I've never been to Rook I just cyber-visited it via Google Street View and thought it looked perfectly fine. The homes, while dated, seem largely well-kept. New(ish) cars on the streets. I mean Kenmore Street even has sidewalks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh