Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2016, 05:33 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
I have a good source that says the person shot in the head was a Pitt student and innocent bystander. So senseless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 05:35 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
irresponsible gun owners, drugs, turf wars, machismo, cultural violence and the ever cheapening of human life are what is at hand these days. Take your pick.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:40 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
irresponsible gun owners, drugs, turf wars, machismo, cultural violence and the ever cheapening of human life are what is at hand these days. Take your pick.
Curious to hear about irresponsible gun owners?

Many of these crimes are committed with stolen guns. One can report a missing gun but it doesn't mean it's going to be found. Same as any other stolen item.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:23 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Don’t forget a horrible education system, a messed up criminal justice system, glorification of violence, the breakdown of communities, corporate welfare, a complete lack of respect for anyone anymore, social media feeds being treated as news....basically everything you see everyday that shocks you is our own fault. We have created this tangled up mess over the past 50 years and no one did this to us, we did this to ourselves. There is no “them” to blame, only “us.”

Old 07-06-2016, 03:44 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times

in the name of all that's holy
is it really so hard to actually discuss the topic without resorting to personal attacks, troll tactics and thread hijacks ? Seriously.
Unless what you really want is to make me lose faith in humanity, if that's the case -you're on the right track.
Yac.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:26 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,992,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I have trouble believing that you have been physically harassed around the Wood Street station. I have trouble believing you've seen multiple people harassed or provoked on 7th Street. I have trouble believing you've ever been in downtown PGH after dark. I have trouble believing that you are allowed outside your house without a chaperone.

BUT

I have to respond based upon what you write, rather than speculating about you. You'd do well to try the same approach for a change rather than engaging in all your silly speculation and hyperbole.

I understand. YOUR AGENDA is to keep all the child abusers out of downtown PGH, and I wholeheartedly support that mission. Keep it up.

And still... you avoid the question. Are the parents who take their kids to sporting events... where all the same behaviors you are discussing here have and continue to occur,child abusers? Can you at least show some consistency in your perspective?

Believe it or not; that is your choice but your belief does not change the reality. I have experienced exactly what I stated at that location and so have other people I know. If you have read this thread you will see that other people have also reported similar problems at that location.

Read your own words. It is you who are twisting what others say and being dramatic while doing so. at the same time you are putting people at risk who would be better off avoiding that area.

You sporting event comment is way off-topic and is just noise in this thread.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I can speak from experience that I was verbally harassed for no reason in front of that station about 2 weeks ago following the Pirates-Giants game that luckily didn't escalate further than some yelling on the sidewalk as the aggressors shirked away after being confronted on it.

Obviously I survived but any mayor that doesn't know this is perpetually a problem area, does little to improve it & is suprised someone got shot there apparently clueless.
The city and PAT need to realize this is a problem spot and despite the mayor's rhetoric, other problems have happened in that location. I would suggest police presence on foot and a hard look at the bus routes which use that stop.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:49 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I can speak from experience that I was verbally harassed for no reason in front of that station about 2 weeks ago following the Pirates-Giants game that luckily didn't escalate further than some yelling on the sidewalk as the aggressors shirked away after being confronted on it.

Obviously I survived but any mayor that doesn't know this is perpetually a problem area, does little to improve it & is suprised someone got shot there apparently clueless.
That bus stop/T station has been a disaster where the biggest scum in Pittsburgh have congregated as long as I can remember (over 10 years). I usually try to avoid waiting or getting off at that stop as much as possible. I can't figure out why the city lets that block be such a blemish on Downtown. Also I'm not sure why someone keeps refusing to believe the reality of how trashy that block of Downtown always is.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
You act as if this "specific location" is a strip club. It is a city block within downtown. There are issues at that location but to label it scary is quite naive. I can assume that you could not tell the difference between a shady character vs a working class/poor person waiting for the bus. To you its all shady even though this is a main bus stop within downtown Pittsburgh. My kids and I attend quarterly gallery crawls and the gallery above the T station houses the main attraction. Am I a child abuser for exposing my children to cultural offerings as well as city life? I show my kids the good and the bad in our society. I do not hide from anything. Most parents have common sense and can spot danger a mile away. Seeing urban life for what it is can be beneficial and my children can appreciate the life that we provide for them.
This is the area:

https://goo.gl/maps/5oVKLUrPodz

And yes, I do consider it scary when people are subjected to rude and provoking comments when all the do is quietly walk by. During a Gallery Crawl, there are a lot more people around. Those happen four times a year. That is not representative of the crowd at that location the rest of the year. I guess the other people on this thread reporting that area to be a problem are wrong? I guess they people I know who have experienced confrontational remarks at that location are wrong?

Old 07-06-2016, 10:20 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
I wouldn't go as far as child abuse or anything of that nature but it is indeed a good idea to avoid that area at night when feasible, or after school lets out. I don't mind some punk mouthing off (though it's likewise not something that should occur) & can give it right back, but being that these kids have no issue using weapons at a whim (or in a crowd apparently) should be cause for avoidance. Of course this is only because the city is blatently choosing to ignore the whole issue & act like every incident is some crazy out of nowhere thing they had no idea would happen. Now innocent people are maimed for life thanks to the city's years of inaction there & you still have a few people acting as if it's no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh