Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 06:59 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I don't have a lot of knowledge about the NH to Oakland commute, but what are you looking for in your new town. USC has great schools like a lot of other areas in pgh, but it also has a lot of activities for families that other areas don't offer. My family having an abundance of parks, athletic fields, a unbelievable fitness center with a top of the Line aquatic center is why I tolerate a longer commute.
The Wexford area has no shortage of parks and fields especially with fantastic North Park. For swimming there is the YMCA as well as various swim clubs. Check out Bradford Woods - such a gorgeous neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 07:24 AM

420 posts, read 805,181 times
Thanks for all the responses so far. Initially Upper St. Clair caught my attention as it seems to fit the bill in what we are looking for (similar to our current town, a family-oriented town with great schools, good parks and a great community feel). The Wexford area seems to fit the bill as well and is probably a better choice since the wife would be working at either UPMC or in Cranberry (which would be an impossible commute from Upper St. Clair). Also money seems to go a little further with housing in the Wexford area. I looked at some beautiful houses near North Park on Edelweiss Drive via Zillow. That area seems a very short drive to everything we would ever need.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:54 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
Thanks for all the responses so far. Initially Upper St. Clair caught my attention as it seems to fit the bill in what we are looking for (similar to our current town, a family-oriented town with great schools, good parks and a great community feel). The Wexford area seems to fit the bill as well and is probably a better choice since the wife would be working at either UPMC or in Cranberry (which would be an impossible commute from Upper St. Clair). Also money seems to go a little further with housing in the Wexford area. I looked at some beautiful houses near North Park on Edelweiss Drive via Zillow. That area seems a very short drive to everything we would ever need.
Is your heart set on newer-construction homes and large suburban lots? If not, you might consider Aspinwall. It fits the description you laid out, and actually feels like more of a community than Wexford. It has a quaint, walkable village feel, with sidewalks everywhere (I never get the impression that areas without sidewalks are particularly kid-friendly). The commute to Oakland is MUCH easier, and the schools (Fox Chapel School District) are some of the best in the area.

This is what your money gets you:

310 Western Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15215 | MLS #1215635 | Zillow

400 Brilliant Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15215 | MLS #1235665 | Zillow

504 Eastern Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15215 | MLS #1237029 | Zillow

Old 08-10-2016, 08:00 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,076 times
Probably about 15-20 minutes less each way from Wexford (assuming 5-10 proximity to I-79) than from Upper St. Clair. It's kind of far and but traffic inbound isn't bad. Traffic in the afternoon going home is generally a bit worse.

Commuting from USC isn't the worst thing imaginable, but it would be a bit painful and you have other options if your main criteria is an upscale suburb with good schools.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:40 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
I would look into the Fox Chapel Area. They have a swimming and diving team. There are several outdoor pools in O'Hara and Fox Chapel as well. Indoor pools are at the high school or Alexanders Athletic Club. There are other options for swimming, but are in nearby city communities. The Jewish Community Center in Squirrel Hill and Club One in East Liberty come to mind. I wouldn't want to commute from Upper St. Clair or Wexford when I have O'Hara Township in a much better location. Fox Chapel itself is a nature preserve and there are countless parks. Beechwood Farms is the headquarters of the Audubon Society of Western PA which is right in Fox Chapel. Again, Fox Chapel is a nature preserve and has no street lights because at night nature likes it to be dark. Street lights are a no-no.

Anyway, good luck. Commuting is a waste of your time and better spent with your family.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:29 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I would look into the Fox Chapel Area. They have a swimming and diving team. There are several outdoor pools in O'Hara and Fox Chapel as well. Indoor pools are at the high school or Alexanders Athletic Club. There are other options for swimming, but are in nearby city communities. The Jewish Community Center in Squirrel Hill and Club One in East Liberty come to mind. I wouldn't want to commute from Upper St. Clair or Wexford when I have O'Hara Township in a much better location. Fox Chapel itself is a nature preserve and there are countless parks. Beechwood Farms is the headquarters of the Audubon Society of Western PA which is right in Fox Chapel. Again, Fox Chapel is a nature preserve and has no street lights because at night nature likes it to be dark. Street lights are a no-no.

Anyway, good luck. Commuting is a waste of your time and better spent with your family.
the commute to oakland isn't much better from those areas. you have to deal with 28 or going through the east end. plenty or traffic. 279 is an easy drive and you are against going back east into oakland.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:33 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
(I never get the impression that areas without sidewalks are particularly kid-friendly).
I lived in Aspinwall and yes there are lots of kids but frankly most of my friends when they had kids and they got older they moved. Only one of my friends is still there with kids in Elementary school. Most often families want yards and driveways for kids to play in. Another friend has very young kids and hasn't felt the need for a driveway or yard for his kids to play in.

The problem the OP faces is that McMansions are much more expensive in the Fox Chapel area than in other parts of town. And they are almost non-existent close in.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:29 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
the commute to oakland isn't much better from those areas. you have to deal with 28 or going through the east end. plenty or traffic. 279 is an easy drive and you are against going back east into oakland.
You have got to be kidding me. Stop giving horrible advice. I actually live in this area and commute to the East End. You can't possibly compare commuting from 279 to shooting across the HPB or the 62nd Street Bridge. This is why I don't reply to these kind of questions. It is mind-blowing how someone could even dream of comparing where I live to Wexford. Care to race me to Oakland at anytime of day. I am happy to put up $100K on a bet with you. Seriously, just stop dreaming! I get to Oakland in 10 minutes or 15 if it is horrible. Good luck getting to 279 and driving into downtown and back out. HA, HA, HA!!!! I mean really!

Old 08-10-2016, 10:32 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
The problem the OP faces is that McMansions are much more expensive in the Fox Chapel area than in other parts of town. And they are almost non-existent close in.
I think our area is a bargain to say the least. Some may find it to be super cheap these days. It is cheaper to live in the Fox Chapel District than it is to live in the city in a safe area. O'Hara is pennies on the dollar these days.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:31 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
You have got to be kidding me. Stop giving horrible advice. I actually live in this area and commute to the East End. You can't possibly compare commuting from 279 to shooting across the HPB or the 62nd Street Bridge. This is why I don't reply to these kind of questions. It is mind-blowing how someone could even dream of comparing where I live to Wexford. Care to race me to Oakland at anytime of day. I am happy to put up $100K on a bet with you. Seriously, just stop dreaming! I get to Oakland in 10 minutes or 15 if it is horrible. Good luck getting to 279 and driving into downtown and back out. HA, HA, HA!!!! I mean really!
both wexford and ohara township are around 20 minutes to the cathedral of learning right now on google maps. maybe a 10 minute difference which isn't out of line. your fox chapel bias is showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh