Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It's already there.
qft

welcome to 5 years ago?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 11:03 AM

969 posts, read 772,376 times
Which Garfield galleries should I check out if I'm looking for oil paintings or other hanging artwork?

Old 08-24-2016, 01:01 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
I hate it, but Garfield isn't like it was when I was born or even a teenager. Its WAY BETTER. Late 60's-70's decline. 70-80's decline. 80-90's major decline. 90's-2000 rock bottom. 2000's was decade for the turn around. Early-mid 2000's "UpTop" 5100-5200 Garfield Heights was first to be raised & redeveloped into Garfield Commons Mixed Income Apts. Soon after this, Penn-Dearborn streets were starting to be revitalized. Hence adjacent Bloomfield/Friendship north of Coral became way better too. Then late 2000's, "5300" or "Five-Tre" or the "The Boat" was next to turn into the Commons. Garfield-Glen followed by redeveloping blocks west of Pacific Ave from Broad to Kincaid. Now days all but a few blocks have greatly improved.

Clarendon Place was notorious in the 90's, so were Garfield Heights, Broad & Kincaid into the 2000's for black on black crime... Now there's diversity & an increasing number of white young professionals. East Liberty & Garfield who woulda' guessed.
Check out this visual representation of Garfield in the 2016 Allegheny County Crime Map. Garfield and East Liberty were very much in the mix, but currently there's a decreasing amount of Garfield and only a little left of East Liberty. Now the mix primarily runs from East Liberty Gardens/Larimer through most of Lincoln-Lemington, all of Homewood, parts of East Hills & most of Wilkinsburg. SW Penn Hills is spillover. Larimer is getting better however.

Last edited by Uptown kid; 08-24-2016 at 02:06 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 01:11 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Which Garfield galleries should I check out if I'm looking for oil paintings or other hanging artwork?
Just do the gallery crawl on the first Friday of the month. See them all.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:51 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Clarendon Place was notorious in the 90's so were Garfield Heights, Broad & Kincaid for black on black crime, Now there's diversity & an increasing number of whote young professionals. East Liberty & Garfield who woulda guessed.
Tell me more about Clarendon Place in the 90s- which is in Friendship - in the 90s. I only know a bit of the story - that neighbors in Friendship worked towards purchasing the properties from the landlord because they were an ongoing nuisance. They had them renovated and sold them to owner occupants, except one unit that the Pgh Glass center purchased to house visiting artists. This was about 15 years now and the units sell for 210-300k.

Loysen + Kreuthmeier Architects

From a Trib article:
Clarendon Place, Friendship. Kevin Kunak, an architect with the Rothschild Doyno Collaborative cites this short block as another intimate residential place that's almost poetic in feel. These also are single-family row houses, but “a grand public-realm gesture” is created, he says, through broad front steps that run the full front width of each unit. This creates “a ‘stage set' that frames ‘the ballet of the sidewalk,' ” he adds. Clarendon runs between Roup and South Fairmont near Penn.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:28 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
Tell me more about Clarendon Place in the 90s- which is in Friendship - in the 90s. I only know a bit of the story - that neighbors in Friendship worked towards purchasing the properties from the landlord because they were an ongoing nuisance. They had them renovated and sold them to owner occupants, except one unit that the Pgh Glass center purchased to house visiting artists. This was about 15 years now and the units sell for 210-300k.

From a Trib article:
Clarendon Place, Friendship. Kevin Kunak, an architect with the Rothschild Doyno Collaborative cites this short block as another intimate residential place that's almost poetic in feel. These also are single-family row houses, but “a grand public-realm gesture” is created, he says, through broad front steps that run the full front width of each unit. This creates “a ‘stage set' that frames ‘the ballet of the sidewalk,' ” he adds. Clarendon runs between Roup and South Fairmont near Penn.
The only thing I know is that when the Horoscope Lounge (Hoe Scope) was across Penn drugs and prostitution was out of control in that area. The alley was used by prostitutes, Johns, and addicts. Most of the activity was tied to that Lounge.

My brother and sister in law lived in the lofts above the Dance Alloy during that time. My sister in law was pregnant and had to park in the alley one night and her purse was snatched from her arm. An older white man that lived on the cross street behind the Dance Alloy found her purse on his front porch. The restoration of that alley coupled with the restoration of the homes across from Penn Aiken Dairy changed that section of Penn Ave overnight.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:31 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
When the First Friday events began in the 90s it was so crazy. You had drug dealers, addicts, and prostitutes mixed in with artsy fartsy folk. If you could see the look of bewilderment on the dealer and addicts faces. It was like the twilight zone for them. That section of Penn was so dark and lonely at night.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:02 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post

From a Trib article:
They only make up a small portion of the area and never truly had a divsion from the rest/mirco-neighborhood, but the area of Friendship north of Coral and Bloomfield past Friendship Ave to this day has several Black and European immigrant families who heavy multi-generational tithes to Garfield/Lower Hill District. In the late 80's-mid 90's was when Clarendon Place was at it's worst. There was a "justified" police shooting in '94. And the streets were known turf for the Garfield Bloods & even female Bloodetts. As stated in the article the Garfield Bloods claimed turf from the Fern St/Mossfield St projects down... The "Valley" was Broad Street south to Penn Ave. The streets from Penn Ave to Coral/Friendship Ave were known as the "Alley Wayz" (known for more drugs, vandalism, thefts, and prostitution than shootings or murders). Clarendon Place was a gang nest & drug hot spot for the Alley Mob set of Garfield Bloods until the late 90's.

By the early-mid 2000's things got better. By 2005-07ish things completely turned around like Lawrenceville, the War Streets/parts of Central Northside/West Deutschtown, parts of Manchester or most of East Liberty.

Edit: R.I.P to the young fella... That 94 police shooting would probably be considered unjustified now smh *not to get off topic

Last edited by Uptown kid; 08-24-2016 at 03:48 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 06:02 PM

969 posts, read 772,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Just do the gallery crawl on the first Friday of the month. See them all.
I am aware of and have been to First Fridays, but it has been years and back then I wasn't a buyer. They were a lot of fun.

Assuming I will be out of town for the next few and want to visit specific galleries in the meantime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh