Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,138 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to identify neighborhoods in the suburbs that have curbs and sidewalks. I was driving through some parts of Shaler, Ross, and McCandless townships and didn't see any. To me, it was strange because where I am now only the most rural areas do not have them.

Any help would be appreicated, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 03:59 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_D12 View Post
I'm trying to identify neighborhoods in the suburbs that have curbs and sidewalks. I was driving through some parts of Shaler, Ross, and McCandless townships and didn't see any. To me, it was strange because where I am now only the most rural areas do not have them.

Any help would be appreicated, thank you!
Unfortunately most of Pittsburgh's post-WWII suburbs are poorly-planned, and, as such, lack sidewalks and curbs.

If I had to pick a suburb to reside within it would be Oakmont. It's an older community but has several newer construction neighborhoods with sidewalks within its boundaries. It's northeast of the city---not north as those other communities you listed are.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:24 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,025 times
Mt. Lebanon is a sidewalk and treed community. Nevillewood in Collier is a sidewalk and treed community. Many neighborhoods in Upper St. Clair have sidewalks. These are just a few. Some developments in Hampton Township have sidewalks. There ARE OTHERS.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:26 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Mt. Lebanon is a sidewalk and treed community. Nevillewood in Collier is a sidewalk and treed community. Many neighborhoods in Upper St. Clair have sidewalks. These are just a few. There ARE OTHERS.
These neighborhoods also came to my mind, but I didn't suggest them because it seemed like the OP only listed communities in the North Hills. If they're open to the South Hills I'd recommend Mt. Lebanon hands-down before Oakmont.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:40 PM

398 posts, read 701,891 times
Aspinwall, parts of O'Hara, Blawnox, Sharpsburg, Ben Avon, Emsworth, Millvale, Etna, Avalon, Bellevue, Sewickley, West View, Springdale... that's off the top of my head, and focused on northern suburbs.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:42 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Parts of Plum Borough? Unbelievable! How do people accept living in such a place? Some residential roads are dangerously narrow once people park on both sides - then they wind, and of course, the speeding doesn't make things safer for someone trying to pull away in their car, let alone for pedestrians.

There are no sidewalks, of course, and as a result, neighborhood mobility based on wheels - but never on legs or feet. I'm thinking Pine Valley Drive and uphill from there, for starters.

Even lovely Churchill has no sidewalks in the neighborhoods.

A friend in local government told me these fancy schmacy engineers came from DC with a plan to develop somewhere on Arlington an area for a number of homes. They were practically kicked out because sidewalks were not part of their plan....and including sidewalks threw off all the lots and measurements that were packed so tightly on a rare flat area of that neighborhood.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 4,138 times
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'm open to anywhere in the area as I'm still researching and do appreciate it very much.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:47 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Bridgeville, dormont, Heidelberg, crafton, Ingram, Carnegie for the most part

Old 09-07-2016, 05:50 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Mt. Lebanon is a sidewalk and treed community. Nevillewood in Collier is a sidewalk and treed community. Many neighborhoods in Upper St. Clair have sidewalks. These are just a few. Some developments in Hampton Township have sidewalks. There ARE OTHERS.
I live in USC, our sidewalks don't go anywhere. That goes for Nevillewood also.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:52 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,456,897 times
irwin is cool and has sidewalks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh