Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 11:14 AM

3,112 posts, read 2,937,147 times

Advertisements

I am part of the Tako/Ace Hotel demographic, and that being said, this will be my movie theater of choice. It is easier for me to get from my house in Brookline to downtown than it is to a suburban movie theater, so I would be all over this. Now after work happy hours can have bowling too.

Also for business/convention travelers, this is something different to occupy your time. If you are done at the office at 5, and aren't big into going out eating/drinking with co-workers or other convention attendees, you can now grab a movie on a week night.

Last time I was in Cleveland for a few days for work, we hit up the bowling alley on East 4th Street. It was really great because it was easy to get to and was a different and more lively atmosphere that just a bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 11:17 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,913,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
I don't know your demographic, but maybe this development isn't for you.
Admittedly I may be using too much of my personal situation in my thinking. I have a nice movie theater I can walk to (SS Works), same with plenty of sports bars; would certainly rather go to Arsenal Lanes to bowl because it rocks & have no interest in an arcade. I do enjoy going out downtown too; this place just wouldn't make the list. (At least judging from their website & menu & examples of the other locations they have). Again all my personal opinion.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:38 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,102,565 times
I think the bowling aspect especially could become a site for the kind of office party/ "mandatory fun" type team building get together that we all love. I worked for a firm once where we left downtown for Arsenal Lanes just to pull an event like that off.

I think having an indoor, family-friendly entertainment spot downtown like this would probably work. It's not particularly innovative or "cool" but it would fill a niche that's not really being addressed right now.

Honestly, if you're downtown and you want to go to a downscale, chain-type sports bar (which honestly sometimes I do), you have to go to the North Shore (maybe The Yard, but not really).

Old 10-26-2016, 11:39 AM

8,090 posts, read 7,013,680 times
The movie theater will drive business to the rest of the complex. It will immediately become my multiplex of choice. Right now, if I want to see something that isn't playing at the Manor Theater, I head down to the Waterfront. I would MUCH rather go downtown.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:49 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,800,043 times
They should nix the arcade part and instead put in a mid size grocery store with adjoining area to sell beer & wine.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:59 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,607,911 times
I would love a good downtown movie theater. In Boston we always saw movies at that big theater by the Commons, and its something I have really missed in Pittsburgh. It helps that so many of our bus lines (like the one I ride daily) take people straight downtown, and of course all the Pitt and CMU students can take the 61, 71, etc for free.

I realize that downtown is a bit of an underdog location for this sort of thing, but I think that can change.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:35 PM

32,639 posts, read 77,918,044 times
We'd gladly walk Downtown to go to a movie theater. We've been driving up to the Cinemark in the McCandless Crossings/SoDoSoPa because we think the theater at the Waterfront is starting to feel dated and worn out. A bowling alley? We'd probably stick to Arsenal Lanes for our roughly bi-annual bowling pilgrimage.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:45 AM

325 posts, read 325,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
We'd gladly walk Downtown to go to a movie theater. We've been driving up to the Cinemark in the McCandless Crossings/SoDoSoPa because we think the theater at the Waterfront is starting to feel dated and worn out. A bowling alley? We'd probably stick to Arsenal Lanes for our roughly bi-annual bowling pilgrimage.
that mccandless crossings theater is great.. So clean and new.. Waterfront is def dated and worn and becoming nasty... Needs a reno soon or there going to ruin that beautiful building..

Old 10-27-2016, 07:42 AM

6,601 posts, read 9,041,428 times
You think The Waterfront theater is dated and nasty?! Don't ever go to the Waterworks one if you have that high of a standard for theaters!

Old 10-27-2016, 07:42 AM

994 posts, read 906,191 times
It's funny that people who have been to downtowns in other cities are all for this idea. Those who don't think other cities exist outside of Pittsburgh believe it will fail.

Anyway, this theater would actually be the closest new theater for many people in the city and region. Plus, there are lots of people who avoid the Waterfront because of either the traffic jams or because of problems there. Same thing with the theater at Monroeville Mall. However, not having a light rail line from the east end is still a huge weakness for downtown.

The comment about this being like Dave and Busters is incorrect. D&B doesn't have movies theaters and bowling allies. At least not the one in Pittsburgh.

In the end, the local folks with influence will likely stop this from happening so that the owner of the Manor Theater in SH can put in a crappy behind-the-times offering downtown.

Last edited by MountainDewGuy; 10-27-2016 at 07:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh