Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 06:02 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Sorry, I think college students are just scary, though with their totalitarian sense of being in the right. I remember John Stosl from 20/20 did a feature years ago, at a college campus, where he was literally surrounded and shouted down for a dissenting opinion, just inches from his face. I can't remember if I was like that at that age. Maybe.
Um, no we weren't like that in the least. We had much more discipline and respect. We welcomed opposing views so we could learn from each other. It is NOTHING like today. Lots of young people have a lot of anger, which is quite opposite of my years in my 20's. We sure were starry eyed and filled with hope. I think much better prepared as well and could handle defeat with some dignity and learn from it.

Anyway, I think the smartphone/propaganda feed is taking its toll on this addicted generation. It is sad stuff, but as we can see it breeds intolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 07:28 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
But see, I disagree with this, too. "OUR problem"?

Seems like everyone wants racial harmony and love everlasting, blah blah blah....but then still go with their tendency to see themselves as hyphenated Americans.

I see this, and everything in our town, as EVERYONE'S problem. If there is murder and despair in a tough part of town - it's Pittsburgh's problem. If there is murder and violence in the South Side Flats - same thing.
Most black people care more about racial equality. We are not holding our breath waiting for racial harmony. I am OK as long as I can access a well paying job, education for my children and travel freely without the threat of violence. It is not up to black people to end racism because my people did not create this monster. It is up to "us" to speak out about and fight against it.

Contrary to what many of you think "we" are a very hopeful and resilient people. No underclass in the history of the world impacts a society in a way that "we" do. I voted for Hillary Clinton but did not expect her to change the world or the conditions for black people. I simply chose the lesser of two evils. I do not expect my quality of life to change under the Trump administration. I will continue to work, save and ensure that my family prospers. I will continue to volunteer with the youth and be the voice for my community. I could care less about what anyone thinks of me or my people. This is my country and I will live my life by my rules and enjoy my time on this earth.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:59 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
I'm not even going to try to respond to some of the ignorance/lack of knowledge here... But this is what I'll say:
In most of 2015-2016 the powers that be that govern this portion of society deemed stopping fist fights On Liberty Avenue & Fifth Avenue (Downtown) as a lost cause. Police, teachers, bus drivers, business owners, most adults either tried and could do nothing/turned a blind eye. Such a fights between young black males AND females got so bad that the kids started bringing guns to fend against group stomping and beatings with knifes/other hand weapons. Liberty and 5th were the free zone for violence. This was a gradual progress which is not just the kids or parents or schools or police or various business owners fault. This is an example of societal failure that occurs in the ghettos and only became visible after the gunshots downtown. Since then the City Council reform following the 2nd shooting, fights have moved from around Wood St. Now a days it's more like the other chain smoking parts of Downtown. Still in terms of safety, not race or anything that doesn't pertain to physical safety in this situation, you should mind your p's & q's.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:25 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
I'm not even going to try to respond to some of the ignorance/lack of knowledge here... But this is what I'll say:
In most of 2015-2016 the powers that be that govern this portion of society deemed stopping fist fights On Liberty Avenue & Fifth Avenue (Downtown) as a lost cause. Police, teachers, bus drivers, business owners, most adults either tried and could do nothing/turned a blind eye. Such a fights between young black males AND females got so bad that the kids started bringing guns to fend against group stomping and beatings with knifes/other hand weapons. Liberty and 5th were the free zone for violence. This was a gradual progress which is not just the kids or parents or schools or police or various business owners fault. This is an example of societal failure that occurs in the ghettos and only became visible after the gunshots downtown. Since then the City Council reform following the 2nd shooting, fights have moved from around Wood St. Now a days it's more like the other chain smoking parts of Downtown. Still in terms of safety, not race or anything that doesn't pertain to physical safety in this situation, you should mind your p's & q's.
I have told you in the past the police hands are tied. They can't really go after anyone of color unless they catch them breaking the law to the point of endangering someone else right in front of them. The media has created this. Nothing police can really do about it. They were even attacked by the mayor for using some force against protestors right in front of everyone. The police are doing what they are told to do. Stand down. It is what it is, but I certainly don't blame the cops in this situation.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:39 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I have told you in the past the police hands are tied. They can't really go after anyone of color unless they catch them breaking the law to the point of endangering someone else right in front of them. The media has created this. Nothing police can really do about it. They were even attacked by the mayor for using some force against protestors right in front of everyone. The police are doing what they are told to do. Stand down. It is what it is, but I certainly don't blame the cops in this situation.
Well I'm saying why wait until after the mayor tells you to do something to end the fights? You're right the police do not deserve all of the blame. They answered calls, made citations, made arrest - albeit only after things were really bad. Perhaps either those at the top (McLay's administration at the time) or regular officers who were involved: thought it was a better to let them release tension and fist fight than bang it out with guns. I don't know... That's all speculation, but I will say what was going on there was like free zone in The Wire Season 3 for fist fights. Whenever a problem is that big, there's broader societal issues at hand. Yet recognize that neither of us said it ends all or be's all in regards with the police... What your elluding to is depolicing. It HAS happened on the South Side and West Side of Chicago, probably Memphis and other cities where the murder rate is rising...

It could happen to Pittsburgh, only time will tell. Depolicing - in a sense other than training officers to avoid unnecessary killing black men, is also not being pressed to solve murders... For those that don't know how it is to live in communities where mothers mourn 0-10 year old deceased children to stray bullets) isn't 100% the community's fault (bad parenting, no snitch code, drug money families, etc), nor the police's (lack of witness protection, corruption, brutality, unjust arrest, unjust response time, etc) it's bigger. Education, poverty, mass incarceration are roots too.

Eventually the system will fall as every dysfunctional society with a system of oppression has historically, and IMO we seem to being getting closer to that every day.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:58 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post

Eventually the system will fall as every dysfunctional society with a system of oppression has historically, and IMO we seem to being getting closer to that every day.
There have been people who have been saying that or prophecizing that since the last century. The "oppression" is mostly an aggregate reaction to people who abuse their liberties and affect the safety and quality of life of those around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh