Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 11:15 AM

5 posts, read 6,897 times

Advertisements

What internet service company are all of you using in the Pittsburgh area? Cost? Package? Service?

I will probably be more towards Cranberry/Wexford.

I am not familiar with what all is out there. I am also going to try and not sign up for cable. I may be streaming live television through Sling or PlayStation Vue. So I would want something reliable, but also not too expensive.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 11:36 AM

54 posts, read 50,853 times
Been in the East End a while and have used both Comcast/Xfinity and Verizon FiOS. We cut the cord years ago and are internet-only.

Verizion has been more consistently reliable, easier to deal with, faster (plus symmetrical, if that matters to you) and cheaper or only slightly more.

Biggest complaint I've had with Verizon was some misleading information around my contract renewal offer, but that was solved with a single call and I ended up with a better deal anyway.

The biggest downside is the contract - best pricing requires a 2 year deal. But moving to a non-FiOS area gets you out of it, and you can transfer if moving within a service area, so unless you're just getting horrible service there's not a ton of downside from my perspective.

We're on the 50/50 plan and it's plenty fast. $60/mo. We did buy the "Quantum Gateway" upgraded router, but I didn't see that much advantage despite having a lot of simultaneous device usage so if it's cheaper, stick with the default and you're probably fine.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:39 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
I went from FiOS to Comcast because I got a great deal, but they are the worst company to deal with, I am actually getting my FiOS back on Sunday. I think there is a small provider for that area, I think it is Armstrong cable?. In my opinion FiOS is the best

Old 11-30-2016, 12:00 PM

140 posts, read 166,265 times
I'm currently using Comcast..
$29.99 for 25MBPS internet (no tv or phone)

I don't have any complaints so far.. The service seems reliable (at both addresses I have used it at)..
I did have some trouble with them at my previous address (they wouldn't let me continue with my promotional rate after it expired), but I merely cancelled my service with them & went without internet until I could get a better deal..

Though I have never purchased Verizon services, I have repeatedly inquired with them about purchasing service (FIOS at my previous address, DSL at my current address).. I didn't find them any better to deal with than Comcast (still the same call center bs) & they were more expensive than Comcast with both FIOS & DSL..

My issues with verizon FIOS:
-Contract based
-Requires an expensive verizon FIOS branded router (even if you don't want wifi).. there are ways around this, but verizon doesn't seem to look to kindly on people who don't have their router. (they actually wouldn't sell me the service without their router)

My issues with verizon DSL:
-They dont offer Dry Loop service
-The service is frequently unavailable (due to "full ports")
-Incredibly expensive

If you're in the north hills, might I suggest looking at the following companies:
-Armstrong
-Consolidated Communications
I have no experience with either, but am pretty sure both are in the north hills..

Old 11-30-2016, 12:06 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
$119 a month with Verizon Fios and a lots of TV with HBO and Showtime. I don't use most of it, but I have my BBC.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:36 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,106 times
Why are you avoiding cable?

IMHO, Armstrong cable is the way to go (and should be available where you are). Their service is 2nd to none. You call and they're at your door same or next day. No charges.

You can buy packages that need your specific needs.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:30 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,165 times
I just had Verizon FIOS installed a few weeks ago. $39 a month for the year then up to $49.

I was using a little company called Freedompop which was perfectly fine as long as you are on a tight budget and don't need large amounts of data. They run on the 3G/$G network and have plans starting at $5 a month. But really if you do any streaming at all, and I mean even if you only watch a few youtube videos, you really do better just sucking it up and going with Verizon or Comcast. I was using their 10 gig service at first and it was only $29 a month. For me that was find for what I do which only included watching a few videos and one or two tv shows a month. Last year they had some sort of contract issues with Sprint and they hiked the prices and I ended up paying $39 a month for only 5 gig of data. Not enough for my needs. They set you up to auto top up every time you run out of data but this is a money pit you don't want to fall for. You can easily disable that function though on your account controls. They tend to put more into selling their phone services than the internet.

I've had Comcast before. Basic package started at $29 but over the years it crept up and up until I was paying over $90/month for internet service with the basic cable they make you get with it.

I use Dish for my TV. The basic package is pretty nice, plus being able to stream on the net gives me more than enough visual entertainment. I pay $45 a month for that and have been with them for several years. No complaints.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:08 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,758 times
Verizon Fios $64.99/month (all fees and tax included) for 100/100mbps internet. No contract.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:08 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
We have Verizon FiOS and live between Downtown and the East End. We pay roughly $200/month for high-speed Internet and a great cable package with HBO, Showtime, etc. We paid the same with Comcast. We've been happier with FiOS.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:52 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
We have had no issues with the service of comcast. We can always get someone on the phone. On the other hand, my parents had an issue with Verizon and it was very very difficult to get someone on the phone.

Downside our cable, internet and useless phone is shockingly expensive. I think we get all of the channele except for TMC. I did try to price Fios and it was about the same because there is one channel that we have to have and in order to get it we would have to buy the most expensive package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh