Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 09:36 AM

154 posts, read 179,428 times

Advertisements

Our new house has step cracks and a bowed in area and I'm just wondering what fixes have worked for other people. We've had a few contractors come out and give recommendations / estimates but some of their recommendations differ, so if curious to hear some personal experience of anyone has had these problems...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 10:07 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,592 times
most often if its horizontal cracks, you can use wall anchors. They are more expensive than people seem to think they should be. anywhere from 1k to 1.6k ish per anchor. and depending on the size and situation, you may need 2,3,4, 5 or more of them.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
most often if its horizontal cracks, you can use wall anchors. They are more expensive than people seem to think they should be. anywhere from 1k to 1.6k ish per anchor. and depending on the size and situation, you may need 2,3,4, 5 or more of them.
My concern with Wall anchors is that the reason the bowing /cracks exist is because the ground is pushing the wall in. If you then install something (anchors) that pull the wall back towards that pressure, I imagine that could cause even more damage..?

Old 12-08-2016, 10:35 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
You should consider having an engineer look at the foundation, and advise you on whether or not something needs to be done.

You can have a company that does foundation repair look at it, but they are likely going to tell you it has to be repaired, even if it doesn't.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:18 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,106 times
I too would suggest you look to an engineer to get it done properly.

What I did (no engineer, just over-engineered).
Dug out everything on the exterior of the wall, all the way down to the foundation (I now have a 90' long trench, 8' deep and 2' wide). Just having this presents several issues and safety hazards so if you do the same, make sure whomever is doing it knows what they're doing.

In the basement, used jacks horizontally to push the wall back to straight (remove the bow).
In the basement, approx every 16', hammer out the concrete floor next to the wall making a 2x2' hole.
Got some 8" I-beams and stood those vertically, tight to the wall into the holes in previous step. Attach tops to floor joists then concrete in the bottom bringing the floor back up flush. Basement work is now complete.

Using probably 40 tons of gravel and hundreds of feet of perforated 4" schedule 40 pipe, put in 3 french drains (every 2' coming up) and fill in that exterior trench all the way up to grade. Also tweaked the grade in front of the house so it tapers away. Then dug another trench about 15' away and laid more gravel and pipe. This then catches almost all the water coming towards the house from the hill out front.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:36 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Mathews wall anchor is what I would do. Used them once on a home flip and they have a lifetime guarantee.

https://www.matthewswallanchor.com

Old 12-08-2016, 02:32 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I too would suggest you look to an engineer to get it done properly.

What I did (no engineer, just over-engineered).
Dug out everything on the exterior of the wall, all the way down to the foundation (I now have a 90' long trench, 8' deep and 2' wide). Just having this presents several issues and safety hazards so if you do the same, make sure whomever is doing it knows what they're doing.

In the basement, used jacks horizontally to push the wall back to straight (remove the bow).
In the basement, approx every 16', hammer out the concrete floor next to the wall making a 2x2' hole.
Got some 8" I-beams and stood those vertically, tight to the wall into the holes in previous step. Attach tops to floor joists then concrete in the bottom bringing the floor back up flush. Basement work is now complete.

Using probably 40 tons of gravel and hundreds of feet of perforated 4" schedule 40 pipe, put in 3 french drains (every 2' coming up) and fill in that exterior trench all the way up to grade. Also tweaked the grade in front of the house so it tapers away. Then dug another trench about 15' away and laid more gravel and pipe. This then catches almost all the water coming towards the house from the hill out front.
Wow, why not slide a rebar down the block and fill full of grout. The beams seem to be overkill.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:43 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,963 times
Folks this is why you get an inspection.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
Was there a suggestion that we didn't get an inspection? We did, by a reputable inspector. The main issues were hidden behind finished walls. I've torn out the drywall and that's where I discovered them.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:42 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
You are acting like an inspector would have found this, I would say half the inspectors couldn't find the front door let alone a hidden defect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh