Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 11:50 AM

969 posts, read 771,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I'd think with all the existing river front development and the projects to come that a fire boat is a no brainer. I have no idea what the tech costs but those pontoon boats? I can swim faster than those things.
That's a good point re: riverfront development. I also feel more comfortable knowing that this boat should take care of the City's needs for more than a decade. It's not like we are buying one every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 12:12 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
I think the Liberty Bridge is still a good example. I doubt the small boats you used as examples could be effective against a fire so high up. The bridge was minutes from collapsing. A fire boat could potentially save tens of millions of dollars if a similar situation occurs.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:22 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
I'd think with all the existing river front development and the projects to come that a fire boat is a no brainer. I have no idea what the tech costs but those pontoon boats? I can swim faster than those things.
Okay, not pontoon, but the Springdale boat is plenty fast with 200hp. Anyway, I am calling out the city for more waste. $550K is nuts, but like others have said tax money pays for it so might as well spend as much as possible. Debt is a way of life.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:24 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,100,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
That's a good point re: riverfront development. I also feel more comfortable knowing that this boat should take care of the City's needs for more than a decade. It's not like we are buying one every year.
On the cost; even small pleasure boats are outrageously expensive. Outfit a medium to large boat with high tech gear and I'll bet the cost climbs quickly. Just this last summer there was a boat fire where a young woman was killed, other pleasure boaters came to the scene for assistance.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:18 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
City resident who votes Yes for the fire boat! However I am all the way up in Brookline, not even close to the water here, so I think my vote only counts as a half vote.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:51 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,203 times
Quote:
On the cost; even small pleasure boats are outrageously expensive. Outfit a medium to large boat with high tech gear and I'll bet the cost climbs quickly. Just this last summer there was a boat fire where a young woman was killed, other pleasure boaters came to the scene for assistance.
I checked other cities. The low end I saw was just under $300k, they can go into the millions, plural, if you're on the coast, see below.
New 69' Fireboat Ordered | City of Boston

Also - the fireboat in Pittsburgh that was decommissioned was 4x250hp, so no, a single 200hp is probably not what the FD wants. I couldn't find good info on the requested specs though.

They did mention in the news article that the major concern is the shore fires (one riverfront property in Penn Hills in particular) and the oil trains, so this isn't just, or even mainly, boat fires.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:44 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,100,231 times
Right, this boat won't have some commercially available motor. It's going to have a heavy duty power plant and drive gear. It's got cop tires, cop shocks, cop suspension and it will go like hell on leaded gas.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:02 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Right, this boat won't have some commercially available motor. It's going to have a heavy duty power plant and drive gear. It's got cop tires, cop shocks, cop suspension and it will go like hell on leaded gas.
The motor/s are "commercially available".

Excellent Blues Brothers reference.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:20 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Could we upgrade one of the Duckie Tour Boats?

Old 12-20-2016, 07:22 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Could we upgrade one of the Duckie Tour Boats?
Would be excellent in conjunction with the submarine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh