Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 07:27 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times

Advertisements

Edgeworth is a western suburb of Pittsburgh, located just down the Ohio from Sewickley, and upriver from Leetsdale. Like many of the boroughs immediately surrounding Sewickley, it somewhat lacks a distinct identity of its own, sharing a common school district (Quaker Valley), using the Sewickley business district, and generally speaking being considered part of "Greater Sewickley." The borough went through two distinct periods where it was built out. The first ran from roughly 1900 to 1920, and the second ran from 1950 to 1970. As a result, it has a wide mix of housing typologies, but everything is very suburban in built form. This is because Edgeworth was built out as an extension of Sewickley, and as an "old money" place the wealthy who moved there in the early 20th century universally had cars. Indeed, looking at individual streets, the early 20th century areas are often much more visually impressive than the mid 20th century areas.

Although Sewickley has a reputation for wealth, most of that wealth is truly in the outlying municipalities like Edgeworth. In terms of per-capita income, the numbers I have available from Wiki show Edgeworth as the third wealthiest municipality in the county (after Fox Chapel and Sewickley Heights) and the fifth-wealthiest overall. Admittedly, much of the latter is because in the eastern part of the state, the true wealthy areas along Philly's "Main Line" are part of much larger townships which are more mixed in income. Still, Edgeworth is a very tony area, almost completely suburban and residential aside from a few businesses located along Route 65 close to the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 10:45 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Edgeworth is beautiful and some of it is walkable to Sewickley's downtown. Huge trees and many very nice homes and good proximity to the airport for those that need to travel.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:22 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Edgeworth is beautiful and some of it is walkable to Sewickley's downtown. Huge trees and many very nice homes and good proximity to the airport for those that need to travel.
Desire for proximity to the airport is becoming more of a reality for me. Being at the airport at minimum every other week has been taxing, especially if I am coming home around 5 pm and need to go through the Ft. Pitt Tunnel. I often spend more time commuting home from the airport than I do in the air from the midwestern destinations I frequent.

Alas, I would prefer not to leave the city and walkability.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Desire for proximity to the airport is becoming more of a reality for me. Being at the airport at minimum every other week has been taxing, especially if I am coming home around 5 pm and need to go through the Ft. Pitt Tunnel. I often spend more time commuting home from the airport than I do in the air from the midwestern destinations I frequent.

Alas, I would prefer not to leave the city and walkability.
Sewickley proper seems perfectly walkable to me. Admittedly it's the equivalent of one city neighborhood, but still, it would be the obvious solution.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:16 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Sewickley proper seems perfectly walkable to me. Admittedly it's the equivalent of one city neighborhood, but still, it would be the obvious solution.
Sewickley and part of Edgewood are as walkable as any city area in our region. Heck, the amenities are probably better than most city neighborhoods as well. Certainly better than downtown Pittsburgh, but that isn't saying much.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Sewickley and part of Edgewood are as walkable as any city area in our region. Heck, the amenities are probably better than most city neighborhoods as well. Certainly better than downtown Pittsburgh, but that isn't saying much.
Did you mean part of Edgeworth?

Old 03-22-2017, 10:40 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,749 times
Quote:
Heck l'ville is quoted as the walkable mecca without a grocery store. seems like "walkable" is intertwined with "walkable to bars and restaurants" for some people.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:58 AM

969 posts, read 772,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
Heck l'ville is quoted as the walkable mecca without a grocery store. seems like "walkable" is intertwined with "walkable to bars and restaurants" for some people.
You keep repeating this, but it isn't accurate. There is a Shop n Save in Lawrenceville.

SHOP 'n SAVE
450 56th St, Pittsburgh, PA 15201
(412) 784-8701

https://goo.gl/maps/SGmzKidpSDz

Old 03-22-2017, 11:53 AM

684 posts, read 419,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
You keep repeating this, but it isn't accurate. There is a Shop n Save in Lawrenceville.

SHOP 'n SAVE
450 56th St, Pittsburgh, PA 15201
(412) 784-8701

https://goo.gl/maps/SGmzKidpSDz
That's the very far edge....that's probably a 1/2 hour walk from the heart of Lawrenceville.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:15 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
That's the very far edge....that's probably a 1/2 hour walk from the heart of Lawrenceville.
The Bloomfield ShurSave is a 6 minute walk from my Lawrenceville home and is very walkable for most Central and Lower Lawrenceville residents, just as the Shop n' Save is very walkable for some Central and Upper Lawrenceville residents. Those without easy walkable access to one of those two places are likely in the far reaches of Lower Lawrenceville which has easy walkable access to the Strip. In most cases, an able bodied individual should be able to walk from their Lawrenceville residence to a grocery in 20 minutes or less. I'd call that very walkable by most standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh