Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:05 AM

187 posts, read 492,193 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job in Mooresville NC. Are the university choices plentiful? Are there soccer, football, and basketball leagues for the younger kids? Is it possible to walk my kids to school? In general are people genuine and neighborly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 07:09 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,716,167 times
My wife and I moved from Falls Church about 4 years ago. The answer to all of your questions is "YES". Just like DC suburbs, Charlotte suburbs have all the same great things but with about 10% of the traffic and 50% of the cost. We really love it down here.

Keep in mind that Mooresville is about 30 minutes north of the city which means it gets pretty "country" and less like the suburbs of DC. You might be happier a little closer to the city such as Huntersville, NC which would be an easy commute for your husband and lots more to do.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:20 AM

Yes! That is so helpful. I love the hustle and bustle of the city but the community feeling of the suburbs. It sounds like Huntersville is a good mix.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:22 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy4kids View Post
Yes! That is so helpful. I love the hustle and bustle of the city but the community feeling of the suburbs. It sounds like Huntersville is a good mix.
Coming from NOVA you should really prepare yourself for a bit of culture shock... Try to spend as much time as you can in the area.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:41 AM

224 posts, read 458,399 times
Quote:
My husband is considering a job in Mooresville NC. Are the university choices plentiful? Are there soccer, football, and basketball leagues for the younger kids? Is it possible to walk my kids to school? In general are people genuine and neighborly?
My aunt sold real estate for years in the DC metro area for many years and based on that, I would probably say that Mooresville will have much less of a metropolitan feel than you are accustomed to. It is much more suburban than urban in it's demeanor. Probably not much of an opportunity to walk to the schools and live in a subdivision type setting. Many, many parents drive their kids to school here to have that one on one time in the mornings. However, the people for the most part, are nice and friendly...and there are plenty of options for leagues and activities for the kids, including the Lake Norman Soccer Club and the Lowe's YMCA.

Lake Norman Soccer Club

http://www.ymcacharlotte.org/lakenor..._homepage.aspx

Last edited by kchenette; 07-07-2010 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: corrected link

Old 07-07-2010, 08:43 AM

Can you be more specific? Are you saying that going into Charlotte for a baseball game or musuem will be a let down? Or are you referring to the people? It is very diverse and competitive here. Many of our doctors are Indian and Asian. Everyone is so busy.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:46 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Can you be more specific? Are you saying that going into Charlotte for a baseball game or musuem will be a let down? Or are you referring to the people? It is very diverse and competitive here. Many of our doctors are Indian and Asian. Everyone is so busy.
If you're expecting it to be comparable to DC, yes, it will be a let down. It's all a matter of perspective.

I don't understand the point of your last two sentences, though?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
If you're expecting it to be comparable to DC, yes, it will be a let down. It's all a matter of perspective.

I don't understand the point of your last two sentences, though?
In the sentence prior to that she said DC is "very diverse and competitive", so I imagine she just used "asian" and "indian" as an example of the diversity

Old 07-07-2010, 09:00 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Fair enough.

I still don't get the "everyone is so busy" comment. Is that good? Bad? Neither? Are you asking if Charlotte is as busy as the DC 'burbs? Competitive for what? Jobs? Homes? Parking spaces?

Old 07-07-2010, 09:00 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
I think what people are trying to tell you is that life moves a bit slower here than you might be used to in NVA. Most of us think that's a GOOD thing

In addition, when you live in DC you have such a wealth of things to do and see - it's a real tourist mecca. But Charlotte isn't really a tourist desintination, it's just a nice place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte