Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 10:43 AM

80 posts, read 375,656 times

Advertisements

We currently live in San Diego (Carlsbad) but we're looking at potentially relocating to the Charlotte area. We have a one year old daughter and want to have another baby eventually, but we're too far away from our families right now (his parents are in New York and mine are in Ohio but we want somewhere warmer and between the two).

What are some good suburbs in Charlotte for us to consider? Here is what we're looking for:
1. Single family home (price range is $500k to $700k) - this is my big selling point to husband - we can get more for our money in Charlotte than San Diego, right? Or is that a misconception?
2. Golf course community or nearby - he is a huge golfer
3. Excellent schools - I mean really excellent, top notch, high rated, etc.
4. Neighborhood, community feel
5. House with character - not necessarily brand new construction
6. Community - I want our kids to have sleepovers, ride bikes, ring doorbells of their friends, etc.

Where should I look? Help me narrow it down! Commute is not an issue - he would open up his own branch of his company in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 10:47 AM

85 posts, read 193,837 times
check out the myers park area. beauitful neighborhoods, myers park high school was ranked 38th. best in the country amongst public schools by newsweek.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:51 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,302 times
If you want suburbs with golf....I would suggest

Huntersville (closest suburb to Charlotte) - Birkdale or Northstone
Cornelius - The Peninsula
Davidson - River Run
Mooresville - The Point (non waterfront of course in that price range) - TOPS for Schools
Fort Mill, SC (2nd closest suburb to Charlotte) - Springfield - TOPS for schools

If you want in Charlotte...I would suggest

Ballantyne Country Club

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 06-05-2008 at 11:43 AM..

Old 06-05-2008, 11:10 AM

80 posts, read 375,656 times
Thanks. The houses in Fort Mill seem really large and nice for great prices. Looks like we could get a beautiful home for $400 - $500k there that is more than 3500 sq. ft with all new upgrades. That sounds really good to me. Is the school system really that good? Is it a family place? Is there something wrong with the area that I'm not noticing? Or am I just jaded by the San Diego prices?

Old 06-05-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica12 View Post
Thanks. The houses in Fort Mill seem really large and nice for great prices. Looks like we could get a beautiful home for $400 - $500k there that is more than 3500 sq. ft with all new upgrades. That sounds really good to me. Is the school system really that good? Is it a family place? Is there something wrong with the area that I'm not noticing? Or am I just jaded by the San Diego prices?
Fort Mill has EXCELLENT schools. Fort Mill is in 2 SC counties...make sure you are in YORK County for the better schools. Some parts are in Lancaster County and they might have OK schools but not as good as York County.

In Fort Mill...you can be in Uptown Charlotte in 15-20 minutes...30 minutes in rush hour. Very close to Pineville, NC (10 min) & Ballantyne (Charlotte..15 min) for shopping and dining.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:32 PM

797 posts, read 3,296,274 times
Piper Glen (golf course community)which is in south charlotte near Ballantyne. You could live on the golf course. Also Ballantyne Country club but their prices start in the $500's. You can go to Carolina Homes - North and South Carolina Homes, Properties & Real Estate and look in area 5 and find these communities. South charlotte has awesome schools.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:35 PM

28 posts, read 88,735 times
You may also want to consider Firethorne in Union County.
Firethorne Country Club

There are parts that are in SC (Lancaster County) with Fort Mill Schools too... Union County schools and in particular, Marvin/Marvin Ridge Schools are highly sought after.

It's beautiful, a FABULOUS golf course, and country club, mature landscaping on most homes. Close to multitudes of Equestrian Facilities, and Historic Waxhaw is just to your south for fine dining (Rippingtons Waxhaw) and antiques, and Ballantyne is 5-7 minutes away for a huge variety of commercial shopping.

There are about 5 homes in your price range right now which is a good deal. And no, none of the listings are mine, so just trying to help. Most homes are much higher in price in this neighborhood. It's always better to buy the least expensive in a nice neighborhood than the most expensive in a so-so neighborhood.

Best wishes on whatever you decide.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:37 PM

9 posts, read 26,678 times
I would definitely recommend the Fort Mill/Tega Cay area. You might look into Baxter Village in Fort Mill. Gorgeous houses, great community, and fantastic FM schools. There's a great golf course in Tega Cay and houses very much in your price range.

Last edited by megz8709; 06-05-2008 at 02:00 PM..

Old 06-05-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncqueenbee View Post
You may also want to consider Firethorne in Union County.
Firethorne Country Club

There are parts that are in SC (Lancaster County) with Fort Mill Schools too... Union County schools and in particular, Marvin/Marvin Ridge Schools are highly sought after.

It's beautiful, a FABULOUS golf course, and country club, mature landscaping on most homes. Close to multitudes of Equestrian Facilities, and Historic Waxhaw is just to your south for fine dining (Rippingtons Waxhaw) and antiques, and Ballantyne is 5-7 minutes away for a huge variety of commercial shopping.

There are about 5 homes in your price range right now which is a good deal. And no, none of the listings are mine, so just trying to help. Most homes are much higher in price in this neighborhood. It's always better to buy the least expensive in a nice neighborhood than the most expensive in a so-so neighborhood.

Best wishes on whatever you decide.
Beautiful neighborhood...but wrong school district. Fort Mill Schools that are superb are in YORK County only.

Now if the NC side of the neighborhood is in Marvin or Weddington district...that would be a fine district too.

Marvin, NC & Weddington, NC have both become quite Upscale!

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 06-05-2008 at 01:47 PM..

Old 06-05-2008, 02:11 PM

168 posts, read 506,094 times
I suggest Marvin NC, great schools, very close to some great golf courses and a great suburb. I would specifically look at Providence downs, if you spend 700k - 800k right now you can get some steals in that neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte