Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,992 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband and I are moving to Pittsburgh this summer from NYC. We are really into food and are looking for a neighborhood with good restaurants and bars, and it seems like a lot of people have recommended Lawrenceville. My big concern about Lawrenceville is the noise from the train tracks. We were looking specifically at a new building on 41st and willow (right on the tracks by the bridge) but I just wanted to be sure that the trains weren't coming and going at all hours before we commit. Any input on train volume (or any other recommendations at all!) would be much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 04:19 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega1021 View Post
Hi everyone! My husband and I are moving to Pittsburgh this summer from NYC. We are really into food and are looking for a neighborhood with good seems like a lot of people have recommended Lawrenceville. My big concern about Lawrenceville is the noise from the train tracks. We were looking specifically at a new building on 41st and willow (right on the tracks by the bridge) but I just wanted to be sure that the trains weren't coming and going at all hours before we commit. Any input on train volume (or any other recommendations at all!) would be much appreciated!!!
I dont have any input on that location but i owned a house next to train tracks in bridgeville. I was surprised at how fast the train noise blends into the background. In less than a week i had no problem sleeping through a train.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:10 PM

23 posts, read 25,447 times
I've worked at a couple of buildings along those tracks. They're only used once or twice a day, from what I can tell. The trains are moving quite slowly as they pass.

That new development has really changed the neighborhood. A couple of the row houses on Willow have now sold at prices I couldn't have imagined even in late 2014.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:49 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,769 times
I'd look closer to the East Liberty area, so you're up the hill from most trains (which follow rivers, generally). Walkable to a lot of neighborhoods, and still in restaurant central.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:14 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Shop around. Our sky high rents have started to drop!

Rent Report Roundup: Rent Hikes Leveling Off, At Least - Philadelphia Magazine

Old 02-04-2017, 07:10 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega1021 View Post
Hi everyone! My husband and I are moving to Pittsburgh this summer from NYC. We are really into food and are looking for a neighborhood with good restaurants and bars, and it seems like a lot of people have recommended Lawrenceville. My big concern about Lawrenceville is the noise from the train tracks. We were looking specifically at a new building on 41st and willow (right on the tracks by the bridge) but I just wanted to be sure that the trains weren't coming and going at all hours before we commit. Any input on train volume (or any other recommendations at all!) would be much appreciated!!!
The tracks on that side of the river are not used all that much and as someone stated the trains would be moving pretty slow. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Not sure what you are looking for exactly, but Lawrenceville is pretty popular right now. Keep in mind, Pittsburgh isn't going to be even remotely close to NYC when it comes to restaurants. It has improved greatly around here, but don't expect too much. If you like NYC pizza, I recommend you have some before you depart NYC because we don't have pizza like that here. I think you would be fine with the location you are looking at. Downtown is also an option. I think it is getting more popular and it is close to Lawrenceville and a fast bus ride to the East End that is also very popular. Good luck.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:38 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,459,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Shop around. Our sky high rents have started to drop!

Rent Report Roundup: Rent Hikes Leveling Off, At Least - Philadelphia Magazine
pittsburgh and philly are not the same rental market. and leveling off and dropping are different things. I only know of one newer development in pittsburgh that has dropped their prices at all due to lack of demand.

For the OP, I dont think you will have any issue with the train noise in that building. As mentioned, its a pretty infrequently used track. Ive spent lots of time at the dog park right by that building, and cant remember a train ever coming by.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:54 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,714 times
The article bcb links mentioned Pgh dropped rents more than Philly. It's buried in the article.

Bcb, nobody here reads. You gotta quote the article if you want people to know the stuff in it.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:43 AM

271 posts, read 332,066 times
If you are moving from NYC and didn't have issue with the daily noise of city lif there, that location won't be an issue.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:15 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,459,774 times
https://www.rentjungle.com/average-r...h-rent-trends/

from this long range data, you see we really had a spike in avg rents from early 2012 through mid 2013, from that point to current, its been fairly flat with ups and downs, but trending slightly higher. the article posted before was a 1 month data set which is impossible to use as any actual trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh