Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 08:18 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,593 times

Advertisements

Thanks to Hitchhiker Brewing, beer is back at Fort Pitt | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Hitchhiker Brewing, in need of expansion, will restore the old Fort Pitt Brewing to a Brewery. Never tried their beer, but I hope they go for quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 08:51 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Thanks to Hitchhiker Brewing, beer is back at Fort Pitt | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Hitchhiker Brewing, in need of expansion, will restore the old Fort Pitt Brewing to a Brewery. Never tried their beer, but I hope they go for quality.
buy into sharpsburg now.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:52 AM

354 posts, read 475,786 times
Ahh I remember when they were going to open in my area. Good for them. Too bad. Great thing my nimby neighbors openly pick fights with business.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:03 AM

595 posts, read 600,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
Ahh I remember when they were going to open in my area. Good for them. Too bad. Great thing my nimby neighbors openly pick fights with business.
NIMBYs? In the South Side? Surely you must be joking. [/sarcasm]

Old 02-13-2017, 11:10 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
I believe they cited issues with various city related red tape for pulling out of their original plans. So it didn't get far enough for the usual nimby's to get involved for once. It also doesn't help that the local councilman, instead of walking a potentially great addition to his district through the bureaucratic hurdles, would certainly have thrown more hurdles in the way to boot.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:14 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I believe they cited issues with various city related red tape for pulling out of their original plans. So it didn't get far enough for the usual nimby's to get involved for once. It also doesn't help that the local councilman, instead of walking a potentially great addition to his district through the bureaucratic hurdles, would certainly have thrown more hurdles in the way to boot.
Bruce Kraus strikes me as firmly anti-drinking establishments, so this should be no surprise to anyone that he didn't want to help a local brewery open a location in his district. I find his stance odd, given he represents the city's biggest nightlife corridor.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:36 AM

595 posts, read 600,668 times
While Bruce does work to do some good for the community, Bruce runs the South Side as if he were trying to run a place like Pleasant Hills. He's completely out of touch with the populace - outside of the very VOCAL minority of NIMBYs in the neighborhood. He wins because no one runs against him. You could run a Raven or a Flyer against him at this point and they'd likely win.

Didn't a SFH project recently get stall out in the slopes because of a vocal minority arguing the weight of the houses might make the hill collapse? I mean, if math serves me correctly, the amount of dirt removed for a foundation on a 3 story, 1900 sq foot home is going to weigh about 3 times as much as the home itself.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:06 PM

354 posts, read 475,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmesia View Post
While Bruce does work to do some good for the community, Bruce runs the South Side as if he were trying to run a place like Pleasant Hills. He's completely out of touch with the populace - outside of the very VOCAL minority of NIMBYs in the neighborhood. He wins because no one runs against him. You could run a Raven or a Flyer against him at this point and they'd likely win.

Didn't a SFH project recently get stall out in the slopes because of a vocal minority arguing the weight of the houses might make the hill collapse? I mean, if math serves me correctly, the amount of dirt removed for a foundation on a 3 story, 1900 sq foot home is going to weigh about 3 times as much as the home itself.
That project got approved recently. Finally. Bruce categorically calls it bad news. He's still fighting. It was purportedly about earth moving variance, but I'm pretty certain it has more to do with many people around the monestary considering 'Winter Park' to be THEIR personal park. Private property, sorry.

He's also opposing a $25 million apartment building on Wharton and 23rd, and arguing for single family homes instead (cuz that's not a stupid idea for a dense urban neighborhood.) The worst part about the nimby squad over here is how Suburban their demands are. I swear they'd be much happier in Pleasant Hills. Its terrible, and Bruce is basically king nimby, at least in the Flats. ps. The local rumor mill claims there was a petition that got passed around trying to block Hitchiker a few months ago - in a largely industrial section of the neighborhood.

Last edited by Faer; 02-13-2017 at 12:21 PM..

Old 02-13-2017, 01:15 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Great news and I have had their beers and am impressed. Love this news!! Thanks.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:07 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
buy into sharpsburg now.
I think you're right. It's in a decent school district, close to shopping, easy access by car and transit to Downtown and only 1% local income tax rate. Lawrenceville is getting pretty expensive now and Sharpsburg is is close to it and offers direct transit access to it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh