Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:50 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times

Advertisements

I know there are numbers to prove the bike lane utilization; I have yet to see any that prove the claims of loss of revenue regarding small business'. Until that is proven/disproven, it's all speculation on the part of the regressive set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 07:00 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I know there are numbers to prove the bike lane utilization; I have yet to see any that prove the claims of loss of revenue regarding small business'. Until that is proven/disproven, it's all speculation on the part of the regressive set.
does that include peduto now that he wants to kick uber out?

Old 04-05-2017, 07:06 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Until they close their doors you'll likely never see any numbers.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:12 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
Peduto isn't going to kick anybody out least of all Uber.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:20 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Peduto isn't going to kick anybody out least of all Uber.
I don't think anyone takes him serious enough to kick any big business out. What's being said is that he wants to.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:43 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
It's not really true, BTW, that the benefits of bike lanes only accrue to those who ride the bikes. The most obvious example of this is that cars do not have to worry about hitting bikes, which cuts down on the number of accidents. Bike lanes actually reduce accidents beyond this a bit however, because the added visibility and barrier space. It also makes crossing the street easier for pedestrians. Here's a list of findings related to public safety after bike lanes are introduced. There's also some evidence of economic benefits for local retailers which you can see if you scroll up. This probably isn't a result of the bike lanes themselves, but the redesign of the streets calming traffic, as people are more likely to shop as pedestrians on streets where cars are going at a more leisurely pace.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Have any of you seen this: Uber Self-Driving Experiment In Pittsburgh Offers Lessons For An Autonomous-Car Future: : All Tech Considered : NPR ?

"Interesting".

Old 04-05-2017, 12:18 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,992,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It's not really true, BTW, that the benefits of bike lanes only accrue to those who ride the bikes. The most obvious example of this is that cars do not have to worry about hitting bikes, which cuts down on the number of accidents. Bike lanes actually reduce accidents beyond this a bit however, because the added visibility and barrier space. It also makes crossing the street easier for pedestrians. Here's a list of findings related to public safety after bike lanes are introduced. There's also some evidence of economic benefits for local retailers which you can see if you scroll up. This probably isn't a result of the bike lanes themselves, but the redesign of the streets calming traffic, as people are more likely to shop as pedestrians on streets where cars are going at a more leisurely pace.
You must not actually see the bike lane on Penn. First it makes a cross in the strip which is dangerous. Then at many intersections cars make left turns through the bike lane. Add to that the fact that most of the people using the bike lane totally disregard traffic laws and even jump curbs onto the sidewalk terrorizing pedestrians. Get out of your ivory tower and see the real world.

On top of that, the bike lanes are sparsely used compared to the cars which would use those streets. That is a poor allocation of scarce resources.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:31 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
You must not actually see the bike lane on Penn. First it makes a cross in the strip which is dangerous. Then at many intersections cars make left turns through the bike lane. Add to that the fact that most of the people using the bike lane totally disregard traffic laws and even jump curbs onto the sidewalk terrorizing pedestrians. Get out of your ivory tower and see the real world.

On top of that, the bike lanes are sparsely used compared to the cars which would use those streets. That is a poor allocation of scarce resources.
I use that bike lane freqently. I was just on it yesterday actually. Soon I'm going to start riding again with my three-year old son to take him to day care, so we'll both be on it almost every day.

The strip crossing is indeed pretty dangerous, I always worry when crossing over from the shoulder on the right hand side to the left to get into it. Usually I start moving over a block or two back so I don't have a nasty surprise. My understanding is this is a temporary problem though - the bike lane will eventually be extended at least to the 31st Street bridge, where there is lower traffic.

There's generally no excuse for riding on sidewalks, because it's a crime to ride a bike on a sidewalk in a commercial area anywhere in Pennsylvania. That said, on those brief occasions when the bike lane is blocked (for example, due to a truck unloading at one of the bays which cut into the lane) I'll briefly get onto the sidewalk to get around it (though I usually get off my bike) as long as the sidewalk is clear.

A lot of cyclists do break laws. Some of these are stupid and reckless, but some of them (like slowing down and looking both ways but not coming to a complete stop at stop signs) are because riding a bike isn't the same as riding a car. That said, lots of motorists break laws too - in Pittsburgh and elsewhere. I have seen cars in downtown Pittsburgh make left and right turns directly into the walk lane while I was crossing and had the right of way dozens of times - sometimes only missing me by a few feet.

That section of Penn Avenue through the cultural district is not heavily trafficked at any time of the day. I don't see much congestion in either the morning or evening. Maybe it backs up a bit due to theater traffic later at night - I wouldn't know. Certainly the bike lane hasn't hurt the booming restaurant scene up there.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I use that bike lane freqently. I was just on it yesterday actually. Soon I'm going to start riding again with my three-year old son to take him to day care, so we'll both be on it almost every day.

The strip crossing is indeed pretty dangerous, I always worry when crossing over from the shoulder on the right hand side to the left to get into it. Usually I start moving over a block or two back so I don't have a nasty surprise. My understanding is this is a temporary problem though - the bike lane will eventually be extended at least to the 31st Street bridge, where there is lower traffic.

There's generally no excuse for riding on sidewalks, because it's a crime to ride a bike on a sidewalk in a commercial area anywhere in Pennsylvania. That said, on those brief occasions when the bike lane is blocked (for example, due to a truck unloading at one of the bays which cut into the lane) I'll briefly get onto the sidewalk to get around it (though I usually get off my bike) as long as the sidewalk is clear.

A lot of cyclists do break laws. Some of these are stupid and reckless, but some of them (like slowing down and looking both ways but not coming to a complete stop at stop signs) are because riding a bike isn't the same as riding a car. That said, lots of motorists break laws too - in Pittsburgh and elsewhere. I have seen cars in downtown Pittsburgh make left and right turns directly into the walk lane while I was crossing and had the right of way dozens of times - sometimes only missing me by a few feet.

That section of Penn Avenue through the cultural district is not heavily trafficked at any time of the day. I don't see much congestion in either the morning or evening. Maybe it backs up a bit due to theater traffic later at night - I wouldn't know. Certainly the bike lane hasn't hurt the booming restaurant scene up there.
If you think it's dangerous (and I don't know this bike lane so I can't say) for the Love of All that's Holy, don't take your kid there! It's one thing for you to take your own life in your hands, another to subject your kid to that. Find a different way or drive your car!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh