Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 11:09 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,955,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
^ I'm also a fan of Damon Young's blog.

I met Chaz Kellem, formerly with the Pirates and now with YMCA, when I was involved in some nonprofit work. ImaginePittsburgh.com : Meet the Neighbors : Chaz Kellem

There's also a great group of 40 under 40s that includes several local African Americans
40 Under 40: 2016 - Pittsburgh Magazine - November 2016 - Pittsburgh, PA

I was always a fan of Gwen Elliott, former police commander who started Gwens Girls. Her daughter now runs it. http://www.gwensgirls.org
Gwen Elliot was an amazing woman. She was so inspiring to young women. My wife and I had the pleasure of serving in our church hospitality ministry under her son Elder James.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 07:40 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I started reading Damon Young's Very Smart Brothers blog before I knew the Pittsburgh connection. His national blog is very popular. Once I saw a picture of the man behind the blog I realized that I knew him from different social circles around town.
Same. It's a fantastic blog.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:27 AM

93,223 posts, read 123,819,554 times
I'm glad that someone else is highlighting their community in a way many people don't know about. Keep in it up wpipkins.

Also, for those interested in finding where there are decent concentration of a black middle class in the area live, this source could help: Pittsburgh, PA - USA.comâ„¢ You can just use the map to click on a census division area to find relatively recent information in that regard. You can even view information by group as well.

This would also help you to get an idea of what is middle class in the area: Are you in the American middle class? | Pew Research Center

So, an area like this census block group would be within the range of middle class in the area according to the calculator: Census Block Group 210700-2 in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania

Or this tract in Monroeville: Census Tract 521302 in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania

Or this tract in Penn Hills: Census Tract 523300 in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
where black households have a median household of $60,903: Census Tract 523300 in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania Income and Careers

A census block group in Penn Hills: Census Block Group 523200-2 in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Its census tract: Census Tract 523200 in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania

Another area within the city: Census Tract 110600 in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania

A census block group in Corapolis: Census Block Group 450800-3 in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania

So, you can do this for the area as a whole.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:42 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,175 times
I work with a woman who is an incredibly talented veterinarian and research scientist. She also just happens to be black. Her work will potentially affect thousands or even millions for the better. She is a great example of what is possible.

IDK maybe I am just different but to me people are people and it should not matter what color your skin is. Sadly those in the black community get fewer opportunities to fulfill their potential than most other races. I do hope that this is changing.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:21 AM

My brother was in town last week to do a community mural project at the August Wilson Center for Black Culture. The turnout was larger than expected and we had a good time. My brother made the initial outline of the mural and the community was given the opportunity to color in the mural.

The mural is on the front page of the Pittsburgh Courier.

https://newpittsburghcourieronline.c...wilson-center/

Old 07-28-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm glad that someone else is highlighting their community in a way many people don't know about. Keep in it up wpipkins.

Also, for those interested in finding where there are decent concentration of a black middle class in the area live, this source could help: Pittsburgh, PA - USA.comâ„¢ You can just use the map to click on a census division area to find relatively recent information in that regard. You can even view information by group as well.

Or this tract in Monroeville: Census Tract 521302 in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania

Or this tract in Penn Hills: Census Tract 523300 in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
where black households have a median household of $60,903: Census Tract 523300 in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania Income and Careers

A census block group in Penn Hills: Census Block Group 523200-2 in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Its census tract: Census Tract 523200 in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania

So, you can do this for the area as a whole.

Most of my friends (black) that purchased homes in Penn Hills and Monroeville got a lot of house for the money. Most of the married couples have combined incomes in the 6 figure range and purchased suburban homes in the 80K to 120K range. This allows them to update the homes to their specification. The 80K home in Penn Hills would be 150 - 230K in Hampton Twnshp.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:34 AM

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...X3HvqRHxS0mtfA

Old 07-28-2017, 10:29 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Most of my friends (black) that purchased homes in Penn Hills and Monroeville got a lot of house for the money. Most of the married couples have combined incomes in the 6 figure range and purchased suburban homes in the 80K to 120K range. This allows them to update the homes to their specification. The 80K home in Penn Hills would be 150 - 230K in Hampton Twnshp.
I only know three families in Penn Hills, but all three have their kids in private school. That's the rub.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:48 AM

93,223 posts, read 123,819,554 times
This census block group in Sewickley has a decent black population in a middle class area: Census Block Group 445500-1 in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania

Same with this one in Ingram in the Montour SD: Census Block Group 464300-2 in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh