Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 12:21 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,164,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan14 View Post
Do YOU understand what the Paris agreement is/was? Do you even remember the quality of air and water before it was enacted waaaaay back in October of 2016? We lived just fine before it and we'll live just fine after it. Pulling out of the agreement isn't a carte blanche for corporations to ignore all environmental laws. But, you probably knew that already. It's kind of sad to read the smugness that Pittsburghers have for their neighbors. It's very problematic of progressives as a whole. They think of themselves and give a giant middle finger to whoever desperately needs a job in Beaver, Fayette, or Washington counties. But, they're all about the little guy, right? And no, a 56 year old out of work miner can't just "do something else." That's the equivalent of saying "Let them eat cake!" Someone like that isn't going to wake up one day, learn how to code, and start developing apps to feed their family. Have some compassion for once! These regulations are hurting people. Try and think of them and what their lives are like. No, they don't live in a loft in Lawrenceville, most don't wear skinny jeans or have a handlebar mustache, and they aren't riding a bike to work at a non-profit job...but that doesn't mean they aren't human and deserving of right to work for a living. For years Democrats in Western PA and across the country did absolutely nothing for these working-class folks and now, as the great Rev. Wright would say, "The chickens are coming home...to roost!" Enjoy it. You only have 7.5 more years of Trump.
I have read it--have you? Do you know the US creates more carbon emissions per capita than any other country in the world? And why couldn't people living in Beaver County get a job in clean energy? People always have and always will need to change their jobs due to shifts in industry. What about all of those people who used to work making 35 mm film? Or all of those telephone switchboard operators?
I do not even understand half of your rant about skinny jeans and mustaches.
Even without environmental restrictions, technology and the low price of natural gas means that there will never be the number of jobs in coal mines that there once were.
I have been living in Europe this year and it has been very interesting to hear perspectives on the U.S. -- and now people are asking me about Pittsburgh. ;-)

Old 06-02-2017, 01:11 PM

369 posts, read 463,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
Whatever you think of Trump, isn't it just possible that he picked Pittsburgh simply for the alliteration in his soundbite? He needed an American city that began with a "P" sound to alliteratively pair with Paris. Name another mid-sized to large American city that most people have heard of that begins with a "P" sound. I would think Pittsburgh would be the first one most Americans would come up with. (Philadelphia doesn't count even though it begins with a "P"; the sound is an "F" sound). The point he was trying to make is that his main concern is the effect of the agreement on Americans, not with what European leaders think.
Exactly, and my first thought as well. He could just have easily said "P"ortland. "P"hiladelpia and "P"hoenix would not work.

Nowhere in that speech did President Trump state he thinks Pittsburgh is still a dirty industrial center or that he wants the region to return to that era. That all has been inferred by a whole host of people including the mayor. The first thing pundits related Pittsburgh to is its dirty industrial past - it seems President Trump has a better opinion of Pittsburgh than most, including many on this board. What I got out of Trump's speech is "America First"

Old 06-02-2017, 01:20 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
Exactly, and my first thought as well. He could just have easily said "P"ortland. "P"hiladelpia and "P"hoenix would not work.

Nowhere in that speech did President Trump state he thinks Pittsburgh is still a dirty industrial center or that he wants the region to return to that era. That all has been inferred by a whole host of people including the mayor. The first thing pundits related Pittsburgh to is its dirty industrial past - it seems President Trump has a better opinion of Pittsburgh than most, including many on this board. What I got out of Trump's speech is "America First"
Maybe you should read about the real issues instead of taking a propaganda speech on its face.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:25 PM

369 posts, read 463,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Maybe you should read about the real issues instead of taking a propaganda speech on its face.
You referring to me or the Mayor?

Old 06-02-2017, 01:30 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
You referring to me or the Mayor?

Old 06-02-2017, 02:24 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
Lets put a little perspective on this.

Trump is doing what he was elected to do. Like it or not, Trump still is very popular with those that voted for him.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:54 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Earlier in the week Peduto was talking up some "rapid bus transit" scheme between Oakland and downtown that would require winning a big federal grant. After yesterday, I don't see Peduto beiing able to get that.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:58 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Trump making Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania look like a laughing stock.

Those saying sad people doubling down saying stuff like "I VOTED FOR THIS!" Should be sent to Syria or another trash dump country that Donny sided with.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:12 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
I was born in Pittsburgh. I saw pictures of how it looks like a different place. I am going to come back to check it out sometime soon. Congratulations to the city and residents for making your city so beautiful.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:14 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Lets put a little perspective on this.

Trump is doing what he was elected to do. Like it or not, Trump still is very popular with those that voted for him.
Let's put a little perspective on this. Trump is not the president of people who voted for him. He is the president of the United States. He appears to be governing for a particularly ignorant and hateful 27% of eligible voters, and his policies will impact the entire planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh