Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 07:47 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCom View Post
The entire countries public city school system is failing.
Great totally unsupported post including incorrect grammar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 08:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This really isn't true at all. When you look at results on a state-by-state level, several U.S. states (particularly Massachusetts) perform at the top of the charts. In contrast, other states, like Mississippi, score in the range of developing countries.

To be fair, the "peer network" hypothesis is just that. What is known, however, is that the vast majority of the 50% variance in adult traits (intelligence, personality, etc) which aren't the result of genetics are not the result of upbringing. To give the most direct and shocking example, the level of personality correlation between identical twins raised together and separated from birth and adopted into different families is roughly equal. That is to say, while twins in both cases tend to have about 50% similarity on personality traits, there is no evidence that the pair raised by their birth parents together end up more alike. The only conclusion is either upbringing in normal circumstances doesn't have any affect on who we become, or upbringing has an effect, but the outcome is totally random.
Either way, the conclusion to have as a parent is to not sweat the "experts" who tell you there is one proper way to raise a child which will make them more likely to succeed.

Of course going to college raises your lifetime earnings, because it's increasingly become a prerequisite for all number of jobs which historically weren't college track. To give an example I alluded to, traditionally to become a journalist, you graduated from high school, apprenticed at a newspaper, got a job as a copy editor, and slowly, as they were sure you knew how to write, made your way up to being a solid reporter. Woodward and Bernstein, who became famous for breaking the Watergate scandal, were basically part of the first generation of reporters who went to college. It remains a requirement, even though you might end up making less than $30,000 upon graduation if you're writing for a local paper. There are many more recent examples too, like culinary school and the rise of two-year medical tech degrees. Schools realized that people were willing to shell out thousands of dollars to try to get a foot in the door. Employers then realized that these applicants were less likely to quit or be fired than just some random hire with no background, and hence began moving towards making them a requirement. It doesn't mean the degree imparts any real skills however that workers would not pick up quickly on the job.
I seriously doubt that an education in Mississippi is on a par with a developing country. In fact, I know some people who went to school in Mississippi and I can say that's untrue.

I don't get how this alleged research (you have posted no documentation) can come to that conclusion. It's a joke at mother's groups that "it's always the other kid's fault". I have heard stories of parents finding out years later that it was their little angel who started the fire, etc.

You talk about journalism, let me give an anecdote (as you did) about engineering. My father graduated from Carnegie Tech (now CMU) in 1943 and joined the Merchant Marine. After the war ended he went to work in the steel industry as an engineer. US Steel paid for his master's in engineering. Some of the engineers he worked with became engineers the old way, similar to what you posted about journalism. Some didn't go to college and at least one didn't graduate from high school. But guess who was the boss? My dad, the guy with the MSME, and this was in the 50s/60s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Nice post. I agree with virtually everything that you've shared, with the possible exception of your last line/statement. I believe that the college experience (and the significant debt often incurred) needs to be fully explored before enrolling. Too many view the college diploma as a direct link to a higher paying job, immediate upon graduation. In reality, what too many recent graduates are finding is that their college degree often guarantees them nothing but a huge loan debt and few job prospects. It is important for the potential college student to realize that a degree can either be the best investment in one's life, or the absolute worst if the wrong major is pursued.
That is a different issue from discouraging someone from going to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh