Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 12:39 PM

271 posts, read 332,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Mayor Peduto stepped in to stop Whole Foods from coming to East Liberty because it would displace lower-income residents of color from East Liberty because those residents couldn't find suitable and affordably-priced housing in their same neighborhood.

Who's stepping in to stop techie transplants from coming into Lawrenceville, Polish Hill, Bloomfield, and other areas and displacing lower-income white residents who also are having difficulty finding suitable and affordably-priced housing in their neighborhoods? (I'll be expecting an answer).

Again, I reiterate:

Rich whites displacing poor blacks = Bad. Can't Let it Happen.
Rich whites displacing poor whites = Get Over It. Move Elsewhere.

This same double-standard of rich and/or postgraduate-educated elitist whites looking down upon poor and/or less educated whites explains why we have Donald Trump in office now and why the Democratic Party is a mess, but I digress.
There is a significant difference in outrage because there is a significant difference between (i) a developer tearing down existing low income housing that has existed since the 1960s (i.e., Penn Plaza) and displacing 200+ residents in one fell swoop to build luxury apartments and (ii) demanding that the city building new affordable housing in "hot" city neighborhoods that have gradually been gentrified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 01:02 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The drivers make 40k.
is that low or high? seems kind of low given the pr nightmare that could occur with an error. but i guess it isn't skilled labor.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:17 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
Quote:
Rent control/stabilization is the only thing that has saved New York. Even people who don’t live in rent stabilized apartments 10 to see modest rent increases. New York is it an affordable to live in. It’s on affordable to move to. None of my New York friends are paying close to “market rate” for their neighborhoods, because most of them have been there 10+ years.

NYC has been forever anti-newcomer. Its a wonder people keep flocking there. I blame some sort of brain damage, especially among the elite driving up prices. No piece of that island/peninsula is worth spending the kind of money they are paying.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:18 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
is that low or high? seems kind of low given the pr nightmare that could occur with an error. but i guess it isn't skilled labor.
Quick, name the operator of any autonomous vehicle that got into an accident? You can't. There's very little risk for the driver. 40k is a legitimate middle-class income for a position that doesn't involve a lot of technical skill or education. It's exactly the sort of job that people say doesn't exist in Pittsburgh.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:50 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Quick, name the operator of any autonomous vehicle that got into an accident? You can't.
I can. There we’re accidents on Liberty Avenue in Bloomfield and near the Hot Metal Bridge that involved autonomous UBER Volvo SUV’s. In both instances the non-UBER vehicle driver was at fault.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:54 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I can. There we’re accidents on Liberty Avenue in Bloomfield and near the Hot Metal Bridge that involved autonomous UBER Volvo SUV’s. In both instances the non-UBER vehicle driver was at fault.
Who was driving the Uber? My point is that there is no potential negative PR for the Uber driver. Uber, the company takes the hit.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:54 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times
There was something in Arizona. I think in PGH there was a near miss with a cyclist or someone going the wrong way down the street. I'd have to google to be sure.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:27 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times
Quote:
Who was driving the Uber? My point is that there is no potential negative PR for the Uber driver. Uber, the company takes the hit.
I think that was Paul's point. You want to pay more, to get better employees, so hopefully you don't crash and cause PR issues.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:34 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I think that was Paul's point. You want to pay more, to get better employees, so hopefully you don't crash and cause PR issues.
correct. then again, does uber really care about pr issues....

Old 10-25-2017, 02:47 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Timely.

Amazon HQ2 could bring 'severe' rent increases to Pittsburgh, study finds | TribLIVE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh