Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2017, 10:12 AM

164 posts, read 174,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8YearsinPittsburgh View Post
I'm just so overjoyed at those saying "we are done with the Steelers", "never watch them again", etc. LIKE HELL. If it weren't for football, thousands upon thousands of people in our region wouldn't have a life.
You are absolutely right!!!! Yinzers will never give up their precious Stillers. Not only wouldn't they have a life, they wouldn't have a thing to wear. What will new brides do if they don't have their Stiller garter under that wedding gown to get the new hubby to put down that iron city and pay attention. Now what will yinz do? Bingo at the fire hall will never be the same. The entire area will go to hell in a handbasket. I say GO STILLERS! Let's make Pittsburgh great again!!!!!

i'd like RogerParkTransplant to tell us a little more about NASCAR and the rest.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:12 AM

977 posts, read 566,903 times
This is a lot of fussing about fake patriotism. Standing up when a song is played is NOT real patriotism, and for the record, I DO in fact stand up and show my respect for the country when the anthem is played. That's not real patriotism, though, because slavish devotion to your country is NOT the founding principle of America. America was founded on the opposite idea, in fact, namely that when a government doesn't serve the needs of the people, the people have the right to protest that government and, if necessary rebel against it and install a new one.

While I disagree with those protesting the anthem and I think they could probably find a better way to express themselves, I do applaud them; they are the truly patriotic ones. They are the ones exercising their rights and protesting what the government is doing. I don't mean to disparage anyone who doesn't engage in this type of protest; it's certainly your right not to engage in it. I also believe that most members of the military feel as I do; they fought for your right to go out and protest. I know A. Villanueva has said as much. Of course, AV has the absolute right to stand and salute when the anthem is played, but those who protest also have the right to do what they do.

Real freedom is difficult. Real freedom means that when you hear someone spewing offensive garbage, you don't have the right to get violent with them or try to shout them down. You have to allow them the opportunity to spew their garbage. The right seems, in this instance, to be the ones forgetting this, but too often it seems to be the left that forgets. White supremacist groups, neo-Nazis, etc. all have the same free speech rights as anyone else, no matter how vile and disgusting their speech is to ordinary citizens. We have gone from "I don't agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it", to "I don't agree with you, so shut up or I'll beat the crap out of you". That is a sad thing, and real patriotism is about getting us back to the former.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:17 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,990,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
This is a lot of fussing about fake patriotism. Standing up when a song is played is NOT real patriotism, and for the record, I DO in fact stand up and show my respect for the country when the anthem is played. That's not real patriotism, though, because slavish devotion to your country is NOT the founding principle of America. America was founded on the opposite idea, in fact, namely that when a government doesn't serve the needs of the people, the people have the right to protest that government and, if necessary rebel against it and install a new one.

While I disagree with those protesting the anthem and I think they could probably find a better way to express themselves, I do applaud them; they are the truly patriotic ones. They are the ones exercising their rights and protesting what the government is doing. I don't mean to disparage anyone who doesn't engage in this type of protest; it's certainly your right not to engage in it. I also believe that most members of the military feel as I do; they fought for your right to go out and protest. I know A. Villanueva has said as much. Of course, AV has the absolute right to stand and salute when the anthem is played, but those who protest also have the right to do what they do.

Real freedom is difficult. Real freedom means that when you hear someone spewing offensive garbage, you don't have the right to get violent with them or try to shout them down. You have to allow them the opportunity to spew their garbage. The right seems, in this instance, to be the ones forgetting this, but too often it seems to be the left that forgets. White supremacist groups, neo-Nazis, etc. all have the same free speech rights as anyone else, no matter how vile and disgusting their speech is to ordinary citizens. We have gone from "I don't agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it", to "I don't agree with you, so shut up or I'll beat the crap out of you". That is a sad thing, and real patriotism is about getting us back to the former.
What you are missing is the NFL protest is just thinly disguised racism. The NFL will take a ratings hit as a result of this situation.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:22 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatareyou View Post
You are absolutely right!!!! Yinzers will never give up their precious Stillers. Not only wouldn't they have a life, they wouldn't have a thing to wear. What will new brides do if they don't have their Stiller garter under that wedding gown to get the new hubby to put down that iron city and pay attention. Now what will yinz do? Bingo at the fire hall will never be the same. The entire area will go to hell in a handbasket. I say GO STILLERS! Let's make Pittsburgh great again!!!!!

i'd like RogerParkTransplant to tell us a little more about NASCAR and the rest.
Don't forget all the babies that get Terror Towels at the hospital -- WHAT WILL THEY DO???

Can't tell how serious you are about my NASCAR opinions, but...they are pretty predictable. I'm fine to extend free speech to people who really want to parade around under Confederate flags (or to my neighbor who seems to think the Stars and Bars makes a real classy curtain -- in PA for crying out loud), I just don't see how those same people can accuse anyone else of disrespecting the US military and its long, proud history.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:23 AM

977 posts, read 566,903 times
I really don't care one way or another about NFL ratings. People are free to react to all this by ceasing to watch the NFL games if they want. That's their right.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:55 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Disrespectful behavior? Police brutality and a biased criminal justice system is what I would consider offensive and disrespectful behavior. None of the protests offended me. I support them 100%. Black people do not have to cater our protest to appease white people. We can protest however we choose. The NFL is the platform for these young men. These young black men are the bread and butter of the NFL and the owners recognized that fact this weekend. We have a white supremacist sympathizer acting as president. Trump decided to call out black athletes that chose to protest injustices. He called these black athletes out during a trump rally of southern white supporters.

None of the athletes whined. They pretty much said f*&^ him similar to how we say f*&^ the police. Donald Trump is a bully that can't fight. He does not have the balls to say things directly to our black faces.
As I said earlier, I personally don't care if the players protest. Also, you're right, black people don't have to appease white people with how they protest, However, white people don't have to appease black people, and can be offended by behavior they feel is disrespectful, that includes the President. Of course it isn't only white people that feel the player's protest is disrespectful, it's you that want to make this an issue of race.

As I've said already, the players can protest all they want, it doesn't bother me, but they better not whine when they have to face the consequences for their actions, and yes, the players were whining. They were whining because they know the power that Trump has, he is a man that can bring down the share values of one of the largest aerospace/defense contractors in the world with a single Tweet.

I'll say it again, this is the last thing the NFL needs right now, this is extremely shortsighted of these players.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:13 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
As I said earlier, I personally don't care if the players protest. Also, you're right, black people don't have to appease white people with how they protest, However, white people don't have to appease black people, and can be offended by behavior they feel is disrespectful, that includes the President. Of course it isn't only white people that feel the player's protest is disrespectful, it's you that want to make this an issue of race.

As I've said already, the players can protest all they want, it doesn't bother me, but they better not whine when they have to face the consequences for their actions, and yes, the players were whining. They were whining because they know the power that Trump has, he is a man that can bring down the share values of one of the largest aerospace/defense contractors in the world with a single Tweet.

I'll say it again, this is the last thing the NFL needs right now, this is extremely shortsighted of these players.

Again...that is the problem with everything that happened this weekend. The office of the President has extreme power, and it should not be used in the manner in which it is. It pumps up Ivanka's brand, and then works to devalue the brand of companies in which he has differing opinions of their employees. He is the President of the entire country, yet these days wide swaths of us are expected to behave (or rather stand up and shut up) so that he doesn't get angry and rain tweets down on us.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:19 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Again...that is the problem with everything that happened this weekend. The office of the President has extreme power, and it should not be used in the manner in which it is. It pumps up Ivanka's brand, and then works to devalue the brand of companies in which he has differing opinions of their employees. He is the President of the entire country, yet these days wide swaths of us are expected to behave (or rather stand up and shut up) so that he doesn't get angry and rain tweets down on us.

The President has just as much of a right to free speech as do the players.

It was all fun and games saying FU to many in the fanbase, but when it comes time to face the consequences of those actions, the whining starts.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:22 AM

164 posts, read 174,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Don't forget all the babies that get Terror Towels at the hospital -- WHAT WILL THEY DO???

Can't tell how serious you are about my NASCAR opinions, but...they are pretty predictable. I'm fine to extend free speech to people who really want to parade around under Confederate flags (or to my neighbor who seems to think the Stars and Bars makes a real classy curtain -- in PA for crying out loud), I just don't see how those same people can accuse anyone else of disrespecting the US military and its long, proud history.
This is going off topic but I must reply. What is so predictable? That you think you are right? It seems you want to portray live and let live and everyone has their rights until it comes to NASCAR and the confederate flag. Ask those holders of the confederate flag if they think it's racist. They don't. But you do. What is the matter with a confederate flag in PA for crying out loud as you say? Your neighbors put up a confederate flag as a curtain. Mine put up aluminum foil. So what. I live in a suburb of Pittsburgh that is dog friendly and I'm regularly charged by rottweilers while walking my lab because I think these people are entitled to own whatever dog they choose and if they choose to terrorize the neighborhood, it's their right and I will suffer the consequences or move. Don't like your neighbors confederate flag. Move. Put me next to a flag waver.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:26 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
The President has just as much of a right to free speech as do the players.

It was all fun and games saying FU to many in the fanbase, but when it comes time to face the consequences of those actions, the whining starts.

Yes he does have the right but having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Also, you shouldn't face consequences from the President of the United States for partaking in peaceful protests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh