Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 11:52 AM

94 posts, read 78,797 times

Advertisements

Former steel mill site Almono renamed Hazelwood Green | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

I kinda like it. It's superior to Almono. That's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 12:48 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Here's hoping it doesn't become Hazelwood Greed.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:44 PM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Here's hoping it doesn't become Hazelwood Greed.
What does this even mean? Are you against urban development?

Old 10-13-2017, 03:55 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
What does this even mean? Are you against urban development?
I was going to make a Cabrini Green joke, but just because it was there, not because I actually see anything but a bright future for Hazelwood.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:14 PM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
I was going to make a Cabrini Green joke, but just because it was there, not because I actually see anything but a bright future for Hazelwood.
Hazelwood needs help, it's not a great place. I don't know if Almono the answer, but these reactions to development are just so cynical. Pittsburgh will not stand still no matter how much these old-minded yinzers want it to, those days are over. Step aside or help build it.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:29 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times
Quote:
Hazelwood needs help, it's not a great place. I don't know if Almono the answer, but these reactions to development are just so cynical. Pittsburgh will not stand still no matter how much these old-minded yinzers want it to, those days are over. Step aside or help build it.
Right, I just meant that the "Green" makes me think of another notorious site, but purely because of my own ties to Chicago. Hazelwood as a whole is struggling but it's just a matter of time -- five years, ten years -- before the growth of the East End pushes serious redevelopment into Hazelwood, and the Almono/Hazelwood Green/whatever site picks up more energy. I realize some will see this as an overly optimistic view, but the city has a lot of momentum, especially for new industries that want to be reasonably close to CMU and Pitt.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:53 PM

395 posts, read 488,074 times
The Waterfront was supposed to help Homestead but it didn't. They think Hazlewood Green's gonna help Hazlewood? If you wanna help revitilize an area that's down on it's luck, why don't you pick a place that's not crime ridden? The Homestead Park area of Munhall, even though not exactly down on its luck, when compared to Homestead or Hazlewood, would be a good pick. How about Downtown West Newton? Or, how about some rural development, like expanding further west of Robinson? I understand a lot of that land is owned by the airport, so it makes it kinda difficult, but surely not all of it is.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:17 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastad View Post
The Waterfront was supposed to help Homestead but it didn't. They think Hazlewood Green's gonna help Hazlewood? If you wanna help revitilize an area that's down on it's luck, why don't you pick a place that's not crime ridden? The Homestead Park area of Munhall...
its about making money, first and foremost.

accessibility, usefulness, and optimal location help towards that goal. its hoped spinoff economic activity, and even jobs for nearby locals would result, but come on. the Hazelwood site is about development, not social justice.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:18 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
I find it really odd you feel the yinzers are against the city growing. The only people I hear complain never-endingly are the young spoiled hipsters. They want everything to stay "gritty". All the yinzers I know are happy to be working and building things. Maybe you don't know any hard working labor types. They are some of the best people I know. Not a bunch of fakes like so many of these young newcomers complaining about EVERYTHING!

Old 10-14-2017, 07:03 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastad View Post
The Waterfront was supposed to help Homestead but it didn't. They think Hazlewood Green's gonna help Hazlewood? If you wanna help revitilize an area that's down on it's luck, why don't you pick a place that's not crime ridden? The Homestead Park area of Munhall, even though not exactly down on its luck, when compared to Homestead or Hazlewood, would be a good pick. How about Downtown West Newton? Or, how about some rural development, like expanding further west of Robinson? I understand a lot of that land is owned by the airport, so it makes it kinda difficult, but surely not all of it is.
An area that is in population decline does NOT need more urban sprawl.

I agree about The Waterfront, though. Nearly 20 years later, and Homestead still looks like an armpit. East Enders just drive in to go to Costco, see a movie, or eat at a chain restaurant, and then drive back to the East End. There's little incentive to park at The Waterfront and then prance into the established part of Homestead.

Hopefully Hazelwood Green will have a street grid that will directly connect into the existing one in Hazelwood so it will feel like more of a natural extension of the neighborhood and not like an island (like The Waterfront).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh