Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 01:16 PM

969 posts, read 772,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Considering you don’t have to cross any busy streets unless you consider Duncan or Cumberland busy, or go out onto McKniight Rd, I’m not sure what the problem with walking through a parking lot is. I’d rather much rather walk through parking lots or cross McKnight Rd once or twice a day than cross city streets/intersections most all day.
Yeah, maybe I misunderstood this sentence.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:25 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Yeah, maybe I misunderstood this sentence.
Yep, you did.

I’d personally rather cross once or twice a day than deal with the congestion and traffic of crossing city streets/intersections most all day. If you pay attention, there’s no reason to be scared of any of it though.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:28 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Yep, you did.

I’d personally rather cross once or twice a day than deal with the congestion and traffic of crossing city streets/intersections most all day.
I did too. I interpreted "most all day" as "hands down" or "any day of the week" or similar.

OTOH it's ok with me if people still want to live in the suburbs. We don't have space for everybody, and we wouldn't want a housing crisis.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:35 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I did too. I interpreted "most all day" as "hands down" or "any day of the week" or similar.

OTOH it's ok with me if people still want to live in the suburbs. We don't have space for everybody, and we wouldn't want a housing crisis.
Personally, I don’t want to deal with crossing city streets/intersections most all day, hands down, any day of the week, etc..., but I occasionally do it. I just relate it to “hurrying up and waiting”.

Agreed.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:45 PM

68 posts, read 53,509 times
Wow, this thread deteriorated fast. That's somewhat understandable given our current level political polarization also aligns the city vs suburban/rural divide.

Attempting to leave all that aside...

We should at least agree that McCandless Crossing is not what is considered a "walkable neighborhood". Granted, you can "walk" places there and a few people do. But overall, it is a car oriented area and very few people choose to walk. There are few sidewalks and the density is low enough that walking isn't an everyday thing like it is in a walkable neighborhood.

That isn't meant to assert that, overall, it is a bad place to live. Suburban neighborhoods have other benefits like garages, large yards, lower taxes, etc. If we're going to argue, let's argue about those valid trade offs.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:49 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfiler View Post
Wow, this thread deteriorated fast. That's somewhat understandable given our current level political polarization also aligns the city vs suburban/rural divide.

Attempting to leave all that aside...

We should at least agree that McCandless Crossing is not what is considered a "walkable neighborhood". Granted, you can "walk" places there and a few people do. But overall, it is a car oriented area and very few people choose to walk. There are few sidewalks and the density is low enough that walking isn't an everyday thing like it is in a walkable neighborhood.

That isn't meant to assert that, overall, it is a bad place to live. Suburban neighborhoods have other benefits like garages, large yards, lower taxes, etc. If we're going to argue, let's argue about those valid trade offs.
do you know what mccandless crossing is? it appears not.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:56 PM

68 posts, read 53,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
do you know what mccandless crossing is? it appears not.
Yes I know what it is.

What is the point you're trying to make?

Old 11-01-2017, 02:00 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Honestly, McCandless Crossing barely even counts as a "lifestyle center." There's two short blocks built strip mall style which happen to face each other, but the remainder of the development is set up with their front entrances facing a large parking lot rather than the various streets. As was noted, The Waterfront did it better in essentially every fashion (more pedestrian amenities, more variance in the building facades to make it look like a "downtown" instead of a strip mall, more stores overall, etc). The only way it's superior is there are actually residences within a 5-minute walk, whereas the closest apartments built to the Waterfront's town center area are over a 15-minute walk away.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:24 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfiler View Post
Yes I know what it is.

What is the point you're trying to make?
just thought it was weird calling mcc crossing a neighborhood.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:25 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
just thought it was weird calling mcc crossing a neighborhood.
Technically I think it fits the bill, given it has a residential component.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh