Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 10:01 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times

Advertisements

Just want to point out that there is a big difference between 35 and 45. At 35 I didn't have a kid. At 45 I had two. At 35 I still went out a fair amount on a regular basis. At 45 I am too busy shuffling kids to activities.

What I am getting at is that at some point your kids activities become pretty demanding. For us it started at around age 8. This doesn't last forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 10:05 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,498 times
I think the Mexican War Streets is cool, especially since you have quick access to the Strip District and Lawrenceville, but it's also really easy to get downtown. But I guess my idea of cool and older is the Mattress Factory and City of Asylum crowd, so that makes a difference.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:00 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Just want to point out that there is a big difference between 35 and 45. At 35 I didn't have a kid. At 45 I had two. At 35 I still went out a fair amount on a regular basis. At 45 I am too busy shuffling kids to activities.

What I am getting at is that at some point your kids activities become pretty demanding. For us it started at around age 8. This doesn't last forever.
I am 42 with 15 and 17 year olds. You have not seen nothing yet. Activities around 8 are still limited. At some point you will become your children's private Uber. Many of the activities run later for older teens. I have to pick up as late as 11pm on game days. I just look to the light at the end of the tunnel. When my youngest graduates high school I will be 45 years old. Still kinda young.....I think. lol

Old 11-08-2017, 11:22 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I am 42 with 15 and 17 year olds. You have not seen nothing yet. Activities around 8 are still limited. At some point you will become your children's private Uber. Many of the activities run later for older teens. I have to pick up as late as 11pm on game days. I just look to the light at the end of the tunnel. When my youngest graduates high school I will be 45 years old. Still kinda young.....I think. lol
Yep. 45 is young. You got plenty of time to have fun once your kids are grown. My BIL didn't have his first kid until 45. A relative had his last kid at 50. Both of which were with their first wife.

What I look forward is to having dinner with my wife without having to get a babysitter or a family member to watch the kids. Then again, it is fun now too but in a different way.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:39 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'd say that's young. I was 30 when my daughter was born, and 34 when my son was born. Best-case scenario, they both won't be out of the house until I am 52. And my wife is eight years older than I am.

I feel like it's gotten easier as my daughter has gotten older honestly, since she can entertain herself. It's so nice having her read a book quietly in the evening once my son goes to bed rather than having to play with her constantly.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:22 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,547 times
Look at the south side suburbs, Dormont & Mt Lebo. They are urban in feel and have access to light rail. You will be surrounded by families and older singles. Shadyside and Lawrenceville feel like a pretentious college dorm to me. Unless you want to feel like an aging Mrs. Garret on a hipster Facts of Life.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:35 PM

969 posts, read 772,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Look at the south side suburbs, Dormont & Mt Lebo. They are urban in feel and have access to light rail. You will be surrounded by families and older singles. Shadyside and Lawrenceville feel like a pretentious college dorm to me. Unless you want to feel like an aging Mrs. Garret on a hipster Facts of Life.
You must not be going to the right places for your age when you visit these neighborhoods.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:01 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
Quote:
45 is still young, my worker and his wife just had a child at 44.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:04 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Lawrenceville is played out. Dormont & Mt Lebo are good recommendations.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:16 AM

716 posts, read 766,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
You must not be going to the right places for your age when you visit these neighborhoods.
Completely agree with this and honestly can't even imagine one place in Lawrenceville he would be going to be inunndated with a college aged crowd. Some of the best parts of living there are the options and age diversity and that it's not the south side on weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh