Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 11:58 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,543,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsond89 View Post
Robrobrob,

We would not have an issue with buying if we knew good specifics about the area, and we like to get a feel for the area before we make a purchase. I would hate to relocate buy a house and then a couple of years later move and stuck. Also that would be a very quick turnaround. If he receives the transfer than we would literally have less than 2 months. to move. Is it possible to find a decent house and close in that short amount of time?
Depends on how picky you are.

My point is that if your just want good schools, a decent commute to the VA and access to a year round swim program you have plenty of options. I would at least talk to a realtor to see what he or she says regarding your budget.

Our public schools are really pretty good overall. Private schools are fairly pricey here unless you are going the Catholic School route. So, instead of spending 20,000-40,000 a year on tuition (for 2 kids) you can put it toward your housing costs if you so choose.

As a hypothetical, if you were to buy how much would you want to spend? This way we can at least throw out some areas for you to consider either as a buyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 02:17 PM

23 posts, read 20,634 times
If i were to buy at this moment we would be looking between 150-275k.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:42 PM

810 posts, read 854,232 times
What about Coriopolis? Is that a nice area? i have some friends from there but they have not lived in Pittsburgh for many years.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:35 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,405,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
What about Coriopolis? Is that a nice area? i have some friends from there but they have not lived in Pittsburgh for many years.
The city limits no but I believe the zip code extends into some nice areas.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:50 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,463,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
Kennedy township is near by and would be an ok fit. Coraopolis taxes are pretty high due to the school district millage rate.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:03 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,285,983 times
Quote:
north hills/shaler school districts are a pretty near perfect fit for you. north hills better school district. shaler more house. you can have your pick of houses in shaler and in north hills that will get you a non-updated but livable four bedroom or a really nice three bedroom.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:54 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,543,957 times
Quote:
That is a pretty big price swing.

I think you would be fairly happy with what you get for 240,000-275,000. At this price point you can even get into one of the top school districts with some options. On the other hand 150,000 is really hit or miss. Over the last couple of years a few friends were in the market for a house around 200,000. Both had trouble finding something they liked. One held firm on budget and instead moved to a slightly above average district (Shaler). Another upped their budget to around 260,000 and ended up in a nice house in the North Allegheny Schools, one of the top districts in the area.

I like this for 275,000. In Hampton. Great schools. Nice community. Has a municipal pool.

https://www.howardhanna.com/Property...stpenn/1308784

The OP suggested Shaler and North Hills. Both are great for that price point. With that budget you can even get into the nicer area/elementary school in Shaler (Birchfield).

Last edited by robrobrob; 11-17-2017 at 10:02 AM..

Old 11-18-2017, 06:56 PM

80 posts, read 84,352 times
How about Dormont? I just took a look at Craigslist and there are rental houses well under your range. They aren't modern homes, but clean and updated enough for a typical Pittsburgh rental. You can send your children to Mount Lebanon Montessori. Mt. Lebanon Montessori SchoolHome - Mt. Lebanon Montessori School
Dormont is Mt. Lebanon's more affordable neighbor. We have a historic 60,000 sq ft outdoor swimming pool with a slide and toddler area! Your son could swim at KO during the off season http://www.kosd.org/RecreationalSwimmingProgram.aspx. Dormont is incredibly kid friendly. The borough has tons of kids events: movies in the park; pony rides, bouncy house, fireworks for the 4th; Easter Egg Hunt, and more. We also have a cool, wooden playground. People are friendly, down-to-earth, and helpful here. According to Google Maps, Your husband's commute to the VA hospital would take 21 minutes and 20 minutes to West Penn. The only negative is the traffic can be really annoying and parking is tight, but it's worth looking into.

Last edited by fjy3; 11-18-2017 at 07:22 PM..

Old 11-18-2017, 07:15 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,405,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjy3 View Post
How about Dormont? I just took a look at Craigslist and there are rental houses well under your range. You can send your children to Mount Lebanon Montessori. Mt. Lebanon Montessori SchoolHome - Mt. Lebanon Montessori School
Dormont is Mt. Lebanon's more affordable neighbor. We have a historic 60,000 sq ft outdoor swimming pool with a slide and toddler area! Your son could swim at KO during the off season Recreational Swimming Program. Dormont is incredibly kid friendly. The borough has tons of kids events: movies in the park; pony rides, bouncy house, fireworks for the 4th; Easter Egg Hunt, and more. We also have a cool, wooden playground. People are friendly, down-to-earth, and helpful here. According to Google Maps, Your husband's commute to the VA hospital would take 21 minutes and 20 minutes to West Penn. The only negative is the traffic can be really annoying and parking is tight, but it's worth looking into.
That commute time is unrealistic unless they are driving off peak times. I am a supporter of the South hills suburbs but not if working in Oakland.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:27 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,982,766 times
Nvm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh