Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 03:52 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,902,611 times

Advertisements

An interesting article that I saw in the P-G this morning.

Quote:
A former antiques dealer, Mr. Smith is collecting input for a community plan for the Sharpsburg Neighborhood Organization. He said the waitress isn’t the only one reluctant to brighten at the new hue of Main Street’s once-black lamp posts. This town spent so long in a post-industrial funk that some people still think the other shoe will drop anytime.

“Change is a tough thing here,” he said. “But I see a new beginning.”

Two new craft breweries — Dancing Gnome and Hitchhiker — have attracted swarms of people, mostly young, mostly from elsewhere, without a single police call, said borough manager Bill Rossey.

DeepLocal, a marketing and tech innovator whose clients include Google, is tripling its office space and doubling its fabrication potential in a move to Sharpsburg later this year. “We wanted to stay as close to the city as we could,” said DeepLocal founder Nathan Martin, “and we wanted a neighborhood where a lot of change is happening.”

If Riverfront 47 is built along the Allegheny River, mostly in Sharpsburg, it will be the borough’s largest new construction in decades. The Mosites Co. and Allegheny Development Partners propose 47 acres of mixed use, including housing and a riverfront trail connection between Aspinwall and Etna.

Before it closed at the site in the 1990s, Azcon Scrap Corp. was the borough’s biggest taxpayer, so Sharpsburg is eager to see the land returned to the tax rolls, Mr. Rossey said.

The project depends on $3 million from the state to widen 19th Street into the site, and Aspinwall still has to settle on a second entrance. Mosites is discussing with the state a possible third one near the Highland Park Bridge, said Chris Minnerly, a Mosites architect.

Like its Allegheny River neighbor Millvale, Sharpsburg is already seeing housing prices jump.

Sharpsburg residents cautiously embrace revival | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
I believe that gladhands or merge is from Sharpsburg. Will be interesting to get their take on the article about the changes happening in that town.
Will only be a matter of time until some gentrification happens in Etna too - given that we're wedged between Millvale, Sharpsburg, and Lawrenceville. I think its slowly already beginning to spill-over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 08:14 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Before it closed at the site in the 1990s, Azcon Scrap Corp. was the borough’s biggest taxpayer, so Sharpsburg is eager to see the land returned to the tax rolls, Mr. Rossey said.

I also hope this works out for Sharsburg. They really could use the money. Sure is a sharp contrast to the city who didn't want Whole Foods to expand. I think Sharpsburg is really sitting in a good spot. Which I never sold my building down there, but too late now. Not much for sale at the moment. Sharpsburg's little downtown has so much potential.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:18 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,946,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
An interesting article that I saw in the P-G this morning.

I believe that gladhands or merge is from Sharpsburg. Will be interesting to get their take on the article about the changes happening in that town.
Will only be a matter of time until some gentrification happens in Etna too - given that we're wedged between Millvale, Sharpsburg, and Lawrenceville. I think its slowly already beginning to spill-over.

It's a very positive article in terms of future home values... so for that aspect, I guess I'd say I appreciate it. Having said that... I genuinely like the way Sharpsburg has been the last few years. It's safe, clean and quiet. There is also some diversity in terms of ethnicity and social class. I'd rather it didn't change dramatically, while knowing that change is inevitable. I lived in the Southside in the mid 90's and in L-Ville from 98-2004. I liked those places before the rush of development made them prey to land speculators.

Will the pros outweigh the cons? Will there be a good coffee shop, a grocer, and a Thai restaurant coming? Will trying to find convenient parking be a nightmare? I guess I am optimistic but only guardedly so...

Old 10-09-2017, 04:15 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,702,142 times
Positive is that many gentrifiers respect a town's history and architecture and are good neighbors. Dormont is seeing some of this, as is Arlington Heights. Though I can't understand Polish Hill property price increases. Housing stock isn't much to write home about.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:16 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,685,618 times
Isn't Sharpsburg prone to flooding and isn't it kind of hard to drive west and north conveniently because the roads are small? Not saying the second is necessarily a bad thing.

If Sharpsburg is gentrifying, will they try to have a more main thoroughfare to get directly onto one the highways/state roads from that area?

I lived near the area in 2005, but it's probably changed a lot since then.

Thank you.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:54 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,041,015 times
I don't think Sharpsburg is gentrifying, but it's stabilizing and improving. Sharpsburg is just overflowing with potential -- large and intact business district, walkable, great 19th c. architecture, some very old homes dating to the 1830s (most remuddled, sadly), great old churches.. I love Sharpsburg. I hope it never truly gentrifies, and remains affordable.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:59 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,535,271 times
The weird thing about Sharpsburg is that the most desirable part of of it is furthest from the business district.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:20 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
The weird thing about Sharpsburg is that the most desirable part of of it is furthest from the business district.
I'm pretty sure Heinz Terrace is the most desirable part of Sharpsburg, and it isn't the furthest part from the business district. But in general I think it's a reflection on housing stock quality in different parts of Sharpsburg more than anything else.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:52 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm pretty sure Heinz Terrace is the most desirable part of Sharpsburg, and it isn't the furthest part from the business district. But in general I think it's a reflection on housing stock quality in different parts of Sharpsburg more than anything else.
Well, you are both right in a way. Heinz Terrace is the nicest street in Sharpsburg, but the better housing stock in general is in the northern part of Sharsburg as opposed to the area right around the business district. There is a lot of potential in this little place to a point. Most bearded yuppies (hipsters) HAVE to be in the city no matter what because it is a prestige thing, but I think that prestige might not stay forever since many of these wealthy young people pretend to hate the wealthy. At some point the city is just too expensive and will become less cool, but I am guessing on that thought.

I don't think it matters much how close you are to the business district if you look at lower Aspinwall for example. The homes closer to Delafield, but not on Delafield generally sell for higher prices because they are the larger homes. Getting around Aspinwall and Sharpsburg is easy because they are super flat in the lower sections.

Seems Sharpsburg is following Millvale in a way. Almost nothing for sale at all. It is no doubt going to get more expensive and already has, but I don't think it will be all that expensive no matter what.

I have been a fan of Sharpsburg for a while now and I find it kind of funny that I DIDN'T get some of that action!!!!!! I certainly had MANY chances and even a couple of apartment buildings! Oh well another missed boat!

Old 10-13-2017, 10:05 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,535,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I realize that is a nice street but generally speaking the nicer part is not behind the business district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh