Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 12:23 PM

14,354 posts, read 17,059,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowski626 View Post
Well, she'd love a picturesque freestanding house but a pretty nice townhouse, duplex, etc. would be more than acceptable.
That's good, because you're not going to get an affordable whole house rental in the sort of neighborhood your partner desires. You can rent whole houses in Pittsburgh, but most of them will be in the city (Mt. Washington seems to have a ton available now). My impression with the suburbs most of the rental stock is in newer-construction townhouse developments which are kind of isolated, which won't give either you or your partner much of what you want. Genuine whole-house rentals tend to be catered at established families who have to move on short notice, and can be very expensive per month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowski626 View Post
As far as rent vs. own, I wouldn't rule out house shopping someday. There is the conundrum of "nice if you can afford it." Even if a mortgage payment might be cheaper than renting, there's also the matter of homeowner's tax plus being on your own for any maintenance. Hence we see so many people in the US ending up "house poor." Also, even if expense was of minimal concern I'd rather wait for a house we were absolutely in love with in a vicinity we were pleased with rather than grow old in a house we settled with or having to deal with the grief of selling and second-time home buying to get our dream place.
I can understand all of this, and I agree it's certainly better to rent first before you choose somewhere to buy. As long as your partner is okay being more flexible with the initial location, you should be fine.

What are her feelings on...uhh..."dated" units?

Also, what is your exact price range? And where will you guys be working?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 02:39 PM

29,755 posts, read 34,444,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

These are good questions, especially if the OP is coming from somewhere like the sun belt where there's new housing as far as the eye can see. I like how Pittsburgh is a little shabby and rough around the edges, but it can be jarring for people who want NEW! NEW! NEW!

Old 02-22-2018, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 2,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
That's good, because you're not going to get an affordable whole house rental in the sort of neighborhood your partner desires. You can rent whole houses in Pittsburgh, but most of them will be in the city (Mt. Washington seems to have a ton available now). My impression with the suburbs most of the rental stock is in newer-construction townhouse developments which are kind of isolated, which won't give either you or your partner much of what you want. Genuine whole-house rentals tend to be catered at established families who have to move on short notice, and can be very expensive per month.

I can understand all of this, and I agree it's certainly better to rent first before you choose somewhere to buy. As long as your partner is okay being more flexible with the initial location, you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
These are good questions, especially if the OP is coming from somewhere like the sun belt where there's new housing as far as the eye can see. I like how Pittsburgh is a little shabby and rough around the edges, but it can be jarring for people who want NEW! NEW! NEW!
RE "dated" units: If by this you just mean not new-ish construction, then that's no problem. Now, places that look like full-on slumlord housing, falling apart, places a modest middle class person would at a glance say "Woah, what a dump!" she wouldn't go for. Most of the places I've seen on Zillow, even on the cheaper end, seem more attractive interior-wise (floors, kitchens, etc.) than the townhouse we currently live in, which is nothing ritzy but certainly not a hellhole either.

Can't say right now about exact price range or workplaces as moving would be no sooner than 12 months away. I'm in a general fact-finding mode right now. I've been searching neighborhoods of interest on Zillow to get a sense of the market and prices. It seems that two bedrooms range from $1000ish/month for the more affordable places to $2000+/month for luxury living for renters. Accurate?

Last edited by Yac; 12-09-2020 at 02:19 AM..

Old 02-23-2018, 09:12 AM

595 posts, read 601,522 times
Green Tree isn't walkable, but it's a nice community closer to the city and cultural amenities. Very short drive, and has a mix of newer and older housing while being affordable.

Mt. Washington (Northern section, e.g Virginia Ave corridor), Brookline, and Greenfield are all affordable city neighborhoods with walkable business districts (Shiloh/Virgina, Brookline Blvd, and Greenfield/Ronald respectively), and are a short Uber away from nightlife and cultural amenities.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:43 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,707,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmesia View Post
Green Tree isn't walkable, but it's a nice community closer to the city and cultural amenities. Very short drive, and has a mix of newer and older housing while being affordable.
Greentree (not two words as in Green Tree) is absolutely walkable. I and millions others have done it for decades. Walk to Olive Garden, business offices, cleaners, Indian grocery store, Ace Hardware....

Old 02-23-2018, 10:59 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,564,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Greentree (not two words as in Green Tree) is absolutely walkable. I and millions others have done it for decades. Walk to Olive Garden, business offices, cleaners, Indian grocery store, Ace Hardware....

Beat me to it. More sidewalks there than Cranberry.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:40 PM

595 posts, read 601,522 times
Quote:
While the neighborhoods are walkable because there are sidewalks, it's not exactly "walkable" in the same way OP had posted:

Quote:
I long for walkability, proximity/easy access to the draws of city living in terms of culture, dining, shopping, etc. Basically the urban millennial dream.
I also said "but it's a nice community closer to the city and cultural amenities." The post was aimed to OP, not a slight trying to set off an urban/suburban debate.

Also, Greentree is a road. Green Tree is a borough.

But thank you for your input.

Last edited by lprmesia; 02-23-2018 at 02:51 PM..

Old 02-23-2018, 03:10 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,679,315 times
Quote:
Green Tree is correct.
Greentree is incorrect.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:59 PM

3,462 posts, read 4,650,565 times
Quote:
I live in Crafton close to Green Tree and all the signage I've seen says Green Tree, not Greentree. Am I missing something?

Old 02-28-2018, 08:26 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,564,509 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh