Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 11:29 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times

Advertisements

My wife mentioned something to me last night about a new zoning overlay for tiny homes in Garfield. Lo and behold, there is a hearing on it on April 3rd. Here is the proposed regulations, and here is the map of the affected area.

The bottom line is it will now be legal everywhere in Garfield to have a secondary unit on lot, provided the following is true.

1. The parcel in question is homeowner occupied.
2. The second unit (which can be a free-standing new tiny home, a subdivision of the house, or the conversion of a garage or something else) is less than 800 square feet.
3. The structure is less than two stories/30 feet tall.

There will be no required off-street parking for the secondary units, and minimum lot size/lot size per unit are waived, but zoning otherwise remains in force.

I do not see this leading to a boom in tiny houses. Relatively few homes in Garfield are owner occupied and have residents with the means to afford this. The neighborhood has a lot of vacant lots still waiting for redevelopment. And most of what makes tiny homes too expensive to build in Pittsburgh has nothing to do with zoning, and everything to do with the ridiculous expense of PWSA hookups (IIRC $20,000 for sewer hookups, regardless of the size of the house).

On the other hand, this does mean that any home in Garfield can be turned into a legal two-unit, provided it is owner occupied at the time. So I'm guessing we'll see a few more of the larger homes chopped up as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 11:40 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
This seems like a return to the old idea of building houses in the backyard, usually on an alley, as an extra source of income for the owner. You can still see some of these these in part of Oakland, but I think most of them were pushed down when the population of the city dropped.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:43 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
I wonder how long the owner has to occupy the house? It says it can be attached to or part of an existing structure, that would save having to pay tap fees.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I wonder how long the owner has to occupy the house? It says it can be attached to or part of an existing structure, that would save having to pay tap fees.
I'm wondering how you prove the main unit is owner occupied. Taking the homestead exemption?

There is apparently a company out in Portland now which will build a tiny home in your backyard for free in exchange for most of the rent, with the owner having the option to buy out the remaining value of the tiny home at any time. Basically you get a small secondary income source for renting your backyard to the company, and need to do nothing, because the company takes care of the property management side of things.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:57 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,699,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
This seems like a return to the old idea of building houses in the backyard, usually on an alley, as an extra source of income for the owner. You can still see some of these these in part of Oakland, but I think most of them were pushed down when the population of the city dropped.
Would like to see a photo of these possible. Had no idea. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Would like to see a photo of these possible. Had no idea. Thanks.
The core portion of South Oakland only really has one alley (York Way) which only has a handful of houses. But the alleys in South Side and Lawrenceville are packed with houses, which were indeed mostly initially built to provide rental income for the homeowners on the primary street.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm wondering how you prove the main unit is owner occupied. Taking the homestead exemption?

There is apparently a company out in Portland now which will build a tiny home in your backyard for free in exchange for most of the rent, with the owner having the option to buy out the remaining value of the tiny home at any time. Basically you get a small secondary income source for renting your backyard to the company, and need to do nothing, because the company takes care of the property management side of things.
I think income tax returns would be an easy way of checking, I don't see them doing that unless there are complaints.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:12 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The core portion of South Oakland only really has one alley (York Way) which only has a handful of houses. But the alleys in South Side and Lawrenceville are packed with houses, which were indeed mostly initially built to provide rental income for the homeowners on the primary street.

But is there a name that would let me google an image or article? I can't find one.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
But is there a name that would let me google an image or article? I can't find one.
Dude, don't you know how to streetview?

I even found an alley house in Shadyside.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:56 PM

These places are all over Pittsburgh and the mon valley, I am negotiating on one now in Braddock, it is a house with an apartment over the garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh