Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 11:53 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
I’m not sure what your Ohio complex is, but here it is. Your mayor and your own knight in shining armor. He was on the news with his negative attitude about the public transportation service in Pittsburgh. All I did was point out ride share is the future. You should be mad at him. It looks like he’s already waving the white flag and making excuses when we don’t get amazon.

https://www.wtae.com/article/pittsbu...gions/22751768

LOL maybe you should search my threads, and try to find a single comment about the mayor. I challenge you to. Hint: you won't. So your thoughts about that are in your own mind, not mine.

And you completely failed to respond to the topic at hand, which was you trying to prop up Ohio cities public transit, which was never very good and is now cratering, while Pittsburgh's is doing relatively fine. Also I posted other cities too, it wasn't Ohio focused at all, so there's another point you just made up. The whole point was to post cities that are having problems. -if two of them are in Ohio, I'm sorry that goes against your narrative.

You failed to respond to Cleveland's BRT that you praised as well. Pgh already has much faster BRT with the busways. And the new BRT from downtown Pgh to Oakland and branches outward, will also be much more extensive than Cleveland's BRT line. Response?

There is a thread for Amazon if you want to discuss that, go do it there.

Last edited by _Buster; 08-19-2018 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 03:44 AM

615 posts, read 394,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
LOL maybe you should search my threads, and try to find a single comment about the mayor. I challenge you to. Hint: you won't. So your thoughts about that are in your own mind, not mine.

And you completely failed to respond to the topic at hand, which was you trying to prop up Ohio cities public transit, which was never very good and is now cratering, while Pittsburgh's is doing relatively fine. Also I posted other cities too, it wasn't Ohio focused at all, so there's another point you just made up. The whole point was to post cities that are having problems. -if two of them are in Ohio, I'm sorry that goes against your narrative.

You failed to respond to Cleveland's BRT that you praised as well. Pgh already has much faster BRT with the busways. And the new BRT from downtown Pgh to Oakland and branches outward, will also be much more extensive than Cleveland's BRT line. Response?

There is a thread for Amazon if you want to discuss that, go do it there.
You can’t base your numbers strictly on transit ridership. I think you have trouble understanding the evolution of ride share, accessible cities and realizing parking is not as expensive elsewhere.

My opinion is just my opinion on transit. The mayor of Pittsburgh agrees with me on this. He said Pittsburgh’s transit is lackluster. That is about the only thing we agree on. Do I think it is a showstopper with amazon, no. The obsession with trying to paint Pittsburgh transit as some sort of gold standard service makes me chuckle. The fact transit ridership is stable is nothing more than a moral victory. There is much insecurity about how Pittsburgh measures up to peer cities or even cities in Ohio.

I do know two things.

1. Cleveland has had rapid bus service for 10 years now. It is an old concept and Pittsburgh is late to the game. Other cities are talking about self driving vehicle transit

2. You can take the rail line from the Cleveland airport to downtown to the eastern suburbs. You can’t take the rail line from downtown Pittsburgh to the airport. Neither Pittsburgh nor Cleveland is worth anymore public tax dollars in propping up an expensive to maintain boondoggle service.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:13 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
You can’t base your numbers strictly on transit ridership. I think you have trouble understanding the evolution of ride share, accessible cities and realizing parking is not as expensive elsewhere.

My opinion is just my opinion on transit. The mayor of Pittsburgh agrees with me on this. He said Pittsburgh’s transit is lackluster. That is about the only thing we agree on. Do I think it is a showstopper with amazon, no. The obsession with trying to paint Pittsburgh transit as some sort of gold standard service makes me chuckle. The fact transit ridership is stable is nothing more than a moral victory. There is much insecurity about how Pittsburgh measures up to peer cities or even cities in Ohio.

I do know two things.

1. Cleveland has had rapid bus service for 10 years now. It is an old concept and Pittsburgh is late to the game. Other cities are talking about self driving vehicle transit

2. You can take the rail line from the Cleveland airport to downtown to the eastern suburbs. You can’t take the rail line from downtown Pittsburgh to the airport. Neither Pittsburgh nor Cleveland is worth anymore public tax dollars in propping up an expensive to maintain boondoggle service.

I didn't "base my numbers strictly on ridership". I stated quite clearly that Pittsburgh's busway are a lot faster than Cleveland's BRT line. You can look that up if you want. Cleveland's has to drive with other traffic - it is not a busses-only ROW like Pittsburgh's busways are. It also appears that Cleveland's has no park and ride lots, while Pittsburgh's Busways do offer them at various stations.

Pittsburgh's busways have been there since the 1970s (South Busway) and early 80s (East Busway) - much longer than Cleveland's BRT. Pittsburgh is not late to the game, you're completely wrong again. In fact it was a leader in BRT. Even the West Busway has been there a lot longer than Cleveland's only BRT line.

Who exactly is trying to paint Pittsburgh's public transit as "some kind of gold standard", as you claimed? Who said that? Find the post and reference it. You are incorrect again. YOU are the one trying to do the opposite, and do nothing but complain about a system that is certainly far from perfect, but better than most peer cities.

If you're going to paraphrase other posters, at least make sure you actually know what they said first. Its not difficult.

Last edited by _Buster; 08-20-2018 at 10:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh