Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,850 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I would prefer to spend less, but thus far in my search, Sewickley and Mount Lebanon are both proving to be in the range. Carnegie is interesting and I will take a look. My initial perspective of Bridgeville (which is not a thorough one as I have only driven through it) is that it is very suburban with nothing unique. The draw for me to Sewickley in particular are the eclectic shops and restaurants. I have thus far bid on 3 homes in my price range and lost all to being outbid way over asking. It's getting a little frustrating which is why I am thinking of venturing out of my preferred areas. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. I would love to park my car on Friday and not use it again until Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 02:32 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,712,234 times
To OP: Have you given any thought to increasing your commute time to obtain some of the other priorities on your list? IMHO you were spot on in selecting the areas of Mt. Lebanon and Sewickley as a match to your desires/needs for working in Southpointe; however, I totally understand the reality of what you are finding as far as value and housing types and market conditions, at present, in those communities.

Before I am excoriated for the following suggestions ( by some ) I do realize the commute may be longer than we Pittsburghers would like, as well as not preferable for the OP.

OK then, all that being said: Shadyside and parts of Squirrel Hill or Oakland may be something that you would enjoy as well as being "doable". Perhaps you will find the city neighborhood amenities and certain houses in your range pleasing enough to overcome a longer commute. Portions of your drive will not always be in heavy traffic ( either direction) as some of the route will be against what is considered rush hour direction.

Additionally does anyone have firsthand knowledge of walkability to North Shore shops and cafes etc from Washington's Landing? That, OP, would also require a longer commute, but is easily accessible to highway(s) as are parts of the previously mentioned areas.

Have you considered leasing in an area first? However, ideal leases are also difficult to find.

Of course, before taking my suggestions at face value, a trial run drive from an area would be appropriate. What I consider doable as a tradeoff may be totally unacceptable to you.

Best of luck and welcome!

Last edited by corpgypsy; 04-29-2018 at 02:58 PM..

Old 04-29-2018, 06:13 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,935 times
As someone mentioned, with that budget you have pretty much the option of any community. The benefit you have working there is a little less traffic than heading into the city assuming you travel during rush hour. There is some traffic around Robinson area but nothing like getting into the city. Sewickley is a great area, you didnt mention if you like a more city/urban feel or a little more open. Personally I like the open, to me Mt Lebo is nice but too crowded for me. We live over in Ben Avon which is east of Sewickley. There are alot of options around Sewickley and still not bad to get to southpoint. In terms of walkable, there is not alot of bar/pub type places once you head east of Sewickley that are walkable from residential though. Inventory is very low and homes do go quick but definitely work with an agent (my wife and I are to be open) Zillow and most sites get their feeds from the MLS which can often be days behind adding a new listing and being under contract also lags.

Other walkable areas, parts of Wexford (though not sure if that drive might be a little more than you want), Scott Twp has some walkable parts which is near Carnegie, can't think of much more outside Mt Lebo if you are going to stay east of the city for your commute.

My only set criteria are: (1) a small grass area for the dogs to relieve themselves at night. Other times I am happy to walk them. (2) Off street covered parking. (3) If an older home, the master has to be at least big enough to fit a king bed and 2 decent sized night stands. (4) Safe neighborhood, (5) restaurant/pub/bar, something within walkable distance from home. My "wishes" are (1) doesn't need much remodeling (paint and flooring would be okay), (2) driveway not impossible to navigate due to steep incline, (3) reasonable commute (35-40 minutes) I am willing to go to 650-700k, but prefer to stay in the 575-620k area if possible.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:59 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBurgher View Post
I have thus far bid on 3 homes in my price range and lost all to being outbid way over asking.
That is unheard of in our region. Honestly, it is hard to believe.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:28 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,935 times
Right now I am not surprised, the inventory is very low even on higher priced homes. If the home is priced well they are going within days at times. The last 8 homes we showed (that were move in ready and priced well), 7 of them had multiple offers within the 1st week and some within the first few days though it was in the 150-250k range. 600k+ should sit a little longer given most can not afford but even that range is pretty low. There are alot of overpriced homes sitting longer, people feel with the low inventory they will sit it out. Come another month or two we should see it start to get more on the market, at least I hope so.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:12 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It is not that hard to believe anymore. I have friends who are house hunting, granted not in the $500k+ range but they can’t even get in to see houses before they are sold. If the house is nicely updated and priced right it is gone faster than I ever remember in this area.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:22 PM

271 posts, read 332,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
It is not that hard to believe anymore. I have friends who are house hunting, granted not in the $500k+ range but they can’t even get in to see houses before they are sold. If the house is nicely updated and priced right it is gone faster than I ever remember in this area.
I tried to buy a 225k house in Lebo last week and I think we were offer 7 of 10. Offered above ask and didn't even get close to winning the bidding. Definitely a sellers market.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:26 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
Not for awhile is it unheard of.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:13 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,712,234 times
Quote:

No, it is not unheard of. It happens frequently. It is chaos at present.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 04-30-2018 at 05:27 AM..

Old 04-30-2018, 07:18 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
OK then, all that being said: Shadyside and parts of Squirrel Hill or Oakland may be something that you would enjoy as well as being "doable". Perhaps you will find the city neighborhood amenities and certain houses in your range pleasing enough to overcome a longer commute. Portions of your drive will not always be in heavy traffic ( either direction) as some of the route will be against what is considered rush hour direction.

Additionally does anyone have firsthand knowledge of walkability to North Shore shops and cafes etc from Washington's Landing? That, OP, would also require a longer commute, but is easily accessible to highway(s) as are parts of the previously mentioned areas.
If he was going to consider the city, I would say Lawrenceville was the best option. I have known people who have commuted from Lawrenceville to Southpointe. Takes around 30 minutes with no traffic - a bit faster than in the heart of the East End, because you can jump right across a bridge onto 28, meaning it's highway driving the entire way. Plus the OP is now talking about wanting access to eclectic shops, which is really something which only Lawrenceville and Shadyside are good for.

The North Side would shave around 5 mins off his commute, but I don't think it has what the OP is looking for in terms of retail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh