Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 06:51 AM

969 posts, read 772,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Interesting, as that is going to make for a longer commute for him but it's undeniable that there will be much better lunch and after work options for him in Bakery Square. I know different strokes for different folks but I don't have interest in working a job that isn't located in the city or North Hills.
Bakery Square is in the City. Are you referring to downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 09:09 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
One of the voices of reason on this board. Thank you for posting.
Thanks!
I don't think that's how many other posters view me though!

Old 08-04-2018, 10:26 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Thanks!
Who cares. You’re a dose of reality which is far better than being a homer or an apologist.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:47 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Bakery Square is in the City. Are you referring to downtown?
I'm referring to anywhere in the city for my personal want.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:06 PM

615 posts, read 394,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Thanks!
Who cares what they think. You are good at posting opinions based on observations. Others spew rhetoric or baseless claims. I have yet to see what city business have left for the suburbs. All you have to do is call people on their claims or ask them to post evidence. All you hear is crickets.

The sad part is there are a few other city posters that don’t live in the east end standing along with them. They may be the worst because they are getting bent over the can and can’t see it. If you aren’t east end elite you don’t matter to this administration . Look at how he’s let the south side go, which is probably the best combination of housing, business district and walkablity in the city.

I don’t have a problem with the city. I have a problem with people that think they know what’s best for everybody else and trying to force others to conform. That’s why I left. I was tired of them
Picking winners and losers and favoring one neighborhood over 50 others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Who cares. You’re a dose of reality which is far better than being a homer or an apologist.
Exactly

Old 08-04-2018, 02:56 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I’m drunk and dancing to Kungs right now (following in the footsteps of one of my favorite regulars on here), so I hope this is somewhat coherent.

I wanted to thank you for this enthralling debate so far. I live in the city. I live walking distance to the Strip District in a neighborhood I initially thought was part of the East End when I first moved here. Since then the “real” East Enders on here have corrected me to tell me Polish Hill, which is 2.5 miles east of Downtown, is not the East End. As such I now say I’m from the “Polish Hill section of Downtown Pittsburgh”.

Anyhow, I’m inclined to agree we need GREATER centralization of employment. Clustering jobs together makes adding new transit routes more financially viable. I’m a fan of extending the “T” up the median of I-279 and adding park and ride lots so North Hills suburbanites can drive to those lots and take the train into Downtown. I’m also a proponent of either a streetcar line running up Liberty Avenue or Smallman Street in the Strip OR a circulator bus that would specifically just circle Downtown and the Strip to ferry people from the West Busway and East Busway to the Seagate Building (Bombardier) and other major employers like UBER, Argo AI, that office Building by the Cork Factory, and those fugly Buncher Buildings at Liberty Commons (southern side of Liberty between 26th and 28th) and those fugly Buncher buildings along the northern side of Penn between 16th and 12th. The parking lots in the Strip already offer a free shuttle to and from Downtown’s major buildings.

Let someone live in Wexford and drive a GMC Yukon Denali. Just make them pay $10/day-$15/day to park in the city to work OR drive to a park and ride lot 5 minutes from their homes and take the “T” in—the way people in the South Hills do. The western ‘burbs (Moon Township, Robinson Township, Kennedy Township, Weirton, etc.) and the eastern ‘burbs (Monroeville, Murrysville, Penn Hills, Delmont, Export, etc.) are both too sprawled out for effective transit options, but we can improve things for people in the Norh Hills.

Oh, and if you go by my liberal definition of “East of Downtown = East End” then ~50% of the city’s population lives in the East End, so of course the East End is going to get more attention. I believe the entirety of Council District 2 (western neighborhoods) only has like ~20,000 people these days. Brookline is by no means neglected. It’s a fantastic neighborhood. I have two colleagues and two friends who live there. If they got a direct bus line to Oakland the neighborhood would explode. The Southern Hilltop neighborhoods are largely a mess, but I do see hope for Allentown (Zone 3 police and hipster businesses). It reminds me of where Garfield was a decade ago. Carrick? I don’t foresee good things for it. Beltzhoover is too far gone. Arlington has hope. Knoxville has GORGEOUS (and cheap) historic homes and is walkable to the Mt. Oliver business district. If Zone 3 could clean up its crime issues I’d live there in a heartbeat. Instead I’m zeroing in on Elliott.

The North Side (District 1) is a mixed bag, and I’d blame some of that on NIMBYism and Councilor Harris. Troy Hill is where Polish Hill was before it became invaded by the quinoa and unicycle crowd. East Allegheny is on the upswing. I’m bullish on Brighton Heights. Brightwood and Perry North (Observatory Hill)? Not so much. Fineview should be more popular than it is. If I was a physician at AGH I’d buy there in a heartbeat. Gorgeous views, safe, and a 10-minute walk to work via the Fineview Fitness Trail.

Anecdotally since moving here in 2010 the city feels younger, busier, and more vibrant. I’m guessing the population decline continuing is because old people are still dying off faster than Millennials are moving in to replace them.

TL; DR? I have no qualms with WELL-PLANNED suburbs. Park and rides in the suburbs are my jam. Suburbanites whining that the city doesn’t offer enough parking can blow me. I pay the high rent to live in the city so I can walk to work. If I do drive it’s $12 to park at my office near Ross & 1st, and that’s a-okay by me!

Old 08-05-2018, 10:56 AM

354 posts, read 475,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
The sad part is there are a few other city posters that don’t live in the east end standing along with them. They may be the worst because they are getting bent over the can and can’t see it. If you aren’t east end elite you don’t matter to this administration . Look at how he’s let the south side go, which is probably the best combination of housing, business district and walkablity in the city.
Since this is pointed at me... I have many issues with the focus of the current administration. I also have issues with some of the local "community" groups that promote only their own personal self interests. I could go on. But regardless, griping about parking, and wanting things to be more suburban....that does absolutely nothing to benefit me or my neighborhood. Nothing at all. So don't get all high and mighty or act like I should back your point of view. Talk about a false dilemma. The Strip is actually very convenient from here, my neighbor, who works for Bombardier, is thrilled about the move. Hell, I wish they'd move to my neighborhood. But of course they didn't ask me, or even the mayor, because they are a private business doing what makes sense for them, regardless of your lay opinion. You'd still be crying about the same stuff anyway. This is some "nobody goes there its too crowded'' Yogi Berra kind of thinking. Business moving into the city is good for the city. Oh no! Shorter commutes and a broader tax base, how horrible for us city folk!! It take some pretty twisted logic to turn anything about this subject into a negative for the city. Its amazing, really. Sure, there's some infrastructure things that we should try to improve, but business is what creates that need and helps generate the revenue to make it a reality. That's just economics of scale. Don't want to work in the Strip? DON'T. No one cares. Not us horrible city folk and sure as heck not Bombardier. We'll make sure to rant the next time a large company moves hundreds of jobs to Weirton. Might be a while though.

Last edited by Faer; 08-05-2018 at 11:24 AM..

Old 08-05-2018, 11:24 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Since I moved to Pittsburgh 6 years ago, most of the employment growth has happened in the health care sector and in the suburbs. UPMC and AHN have decentralized health care delivery and built neighborhood facilities all over the region. Hospitals are also being constructed everywhere. They've seen phenomenal growth. Whatever it is that Bombadier does, it's a drop in the bucket by comparison.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Since I moved to Pittsburgh 6 years ago, most of the employment growth has happened in the health care sector and in the suburbs. UPMC and AHN have decentralized health care delivery and built neighborhood facilities all over the region. Hospitals are also being constructed everywhere. They've seen phenomenal growth. Whatever it is that Bombadier does, it's a drop in the bucket by comparison.
Please state your source and evidence to back up this claim. It’s been well documented that the downtown area has the most jobs in the region. I have never seen data suggesting the city has lost employment to the suburbs or jobs have moved out of the city to the suburbs.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
Since this is pointed at me... I have many issues with the focus of the current administration. I also have issues with some of the local "community" groups that promote only their own personal self interests. I could go on. But regardless, griping about parking, and wanting things to be more suburban....that does absolutely nothing to benefit me or my neighborhood. Nothing at all. So don't get all high and mighty or act like I should back your point of view. Talk about a false dilemma. The Strip is actually very convenient from here, my neighbor, who works for Bombardier, is thrilled about the move. Hell, I wish they'd move to my neighborhood. But of course they didn't ask me, or even the mayor, because they are a private business doing what makes sense for them, regardless of your lay opinion. You'd still be crying about the same stuff anyway. This is some "nobody goes there its too crowded'' Yogi Berra kind of thinking. Business moving into the city is good for the city. Oh no! Shorter commutes and a broader tax base, how horrible for us city folk!! It take some pretty twisted logic to turn anything about this subject into a negative for the city. Its amazing, really. Sure, there's some infrastructure things that we should try to improve, but business is what creates that need and helps generate the revenue to make it a reality. That's just economics of scale. Don't want to work in the Strip? DON'T. No one cares. Not us horrible city folk and sure as heck not Bombardier. We'll make sure to rant the next time a large company moves hundreds of jobs to Weirton. Might be a while though.
You didnt need to explain your stance to me in a long diatribe. It’s all good. I lived in the north side for a good while. I wasn’t happy and I left. I know plenty still living there with your stance. No big deal. We are all doing just fine here in Weirton. We have the gas drilling industry to keep us going. We are excited about the potential and economic spinoff. Our houses may not be in the same category as your east end, but values and property continue to go up here. Once the industry is up and that new plant is operating I suspect the city of Pittsburgh will try and find a way to get in on it. By then it will be too late. The western suburbs and Ohio valley will have the good paying jobs and low taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh