Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 09:12 AM

68 posts, read 150,551 times

Advertisements

I haven't posted in this thread in a long time. I lived in West Gate Village from 1988-1994.

My mom and I decided to visit this new "Emerald Gardens" about five years ago. When we arrived, there was a security booth but there was no in it. Actually, it was a bright sunny day and there was NOBODY out, probably because everyone was working.

We visited our first home on Village Road; we lived right between the first and second court on the left side as soon as you enter from B-F Road. The playground behind our row was gone and there was a gazebo in it's place. We had a cherry tree in our yard that I used to climb and surprisingly that cherry tree was still there and blooming! The prickly bushes with the little orange berries were all gone. We then walked across the street to the second home we moved into. We didn't walk around the row this time because we started feeling NEGATIVE ENERGY, so after 15 minutes we just got back into the car and left.

Emerald Gardens is dolled up now, but while we were there for a brief visit we felt the negative energy and demons that were still emanating from it from years before. This place was wicked and till this day- I'm in my 30s- I occasionally have bad dreams that I'm back in West Gate. In my dreams I am trapped and I start to feel panic. West Gate was a terrible neighborhood, especially for children. I have not so good memories from the times we lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 09:14 AM

68 posts, read 150,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Astronaut View Post
Broadhead Manor was built in 1944 by the federal government, but was owned and managed by the Housing Authority of the City of Pittsburgh, which eventually became the ACHA. It originally had 448 units & was specifically designed & used as housing for the surge of WWII workers at factories along the Ohio River, just like Mooncrest & several other housing projects. In 1953, the complex was converted into low-rent public housing. After the conversion, it only had 364 units, but was still massive & imposing along Broadhead-Fording Road. By '96, occupancy had dropped to 250 families. By '98, all but 64 units were torn down. In 2004, in the aftermath of Hurricane Ivan, Chartiers Creek flooded the complex, & the 47 remaining families had to be evacuated, & ultimately the site was abandoned. They are all demolished now. The Giant Eagle warehouse occupies the entire Northeast corner of the property. They recently (within the last 5-10 years or so) tore down the Fairywood School & even more recently tore down the "Ujamma building" which I think housed a laundromat, library, convenience store, & credit union. The Salvation Army Westside Worship Church is still there, as well as the Fairywood Park & Pool.

Wow. We used to go to that Salvation Army. I'm surprised it's still standing. I remember an elderly couple used to live across the street from that church and their house was tore down after they both died.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I haven't posted in this thread in a long time. I lived in West Gate Village from 1988-1994.

My mom and I decided to visit this new "Emerald Gardens" about five years ago. When we arrived, there was a security booth but there was no in it. Actually, it was a bright sunny day and there was NOBODY out, probably because everyone was working.

We visited our first home on Village Road; we lived right between the first and second court on the left side as soon as you enter from B-F Road. The playground behind our row was gone and there was a gazebo in it's place. We had a cherry tree in our yard that I used to climb and surprisingly that cherry tree was still there and blooming! The prickly bushes with the little orange berries were all gone. We then walked across the street to the second home we moved into. We didn't walk around the row this time because we started feeling NEGATIVE ENERGY, so after 15 minutes we just got back into the car and left.

Emerald Gardens is dolled up now, but while we were there for a brief visit we felt the negative energy and demons that were still emanating from it from years before. This place was wicked and till this day- I'm in my 30s- I occasionally have bad dreams that I'm back in West Gate. In my dreams I am trapped and I start to feel panic. West Gate was a terrible neighborhood, especially for children. I have not so good memories from the times we lived there.

Hello, my name is Xac and I lived in Westgate and also The Circle the same time frame as yall and I was wondering some of the people you remember? Yall lived on the other side from us we lived in 222 which of course was way around the corner from where yall lived we lived right next door to the lady that owned that blue store bus that used to come around the neighborhood. Based on what you say you were a kid back during that time so I wouldnt have known you but might know or heard of your people. Ask your Mother if she knew Yvette or Tracy and Ronnie or a girl named Toni or a lady named Marcia or this gay girl named michelle and her girlfriend candy...Do she remember the lady that used to rent bootleg video tapes?
I personally had good times in Westgate but I guess it depends on your age I wasn't too old or too young
I mean yes I recall it wasnt perfect around Westgate but Beltsoover was worse so was northview heights.
We moved to The Circle in 1992 after a family member caught the Wesgate apt on fire so alot of drama I didn't see in Westgate eventhough as you know its right across the street from The Circle.
Nevertheless just thought I would say something to you since we lived in the same area at one time in the past,peace and blessings to you and your family...

Old 11-13-2020, 04:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,311 times
Just looking at the gas vents from Emerld Green one can tell the heating system is old and from the size of he apartments it was once federal housing. I only know this from looking at fed housing for 4 previous years. They all look eerily familiar. ppl do what they learn at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh