Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 12:35 PM

18 posts, read 13,046 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My husband had an offer and we are thinking to relocate from Naples Florida to Pittsburgh ( yes, from forever summer to cloudy winter) . I am really nervous about that move even though I am originally from Russia and used to a cold weather. But my worries about our kids and how they will adjust to a new place.

We will have three with us ( our oldest two staying in Naples). Kids are 12, 7 and 6 years old.
So very important neighborhood with other kids and good schools. I was looking at My Lebanon. Planning to rent a house start with ( we will keep one house in Naples) ,so looking forward to affordable rent . No more than$2000 monthly.

Other worry about our 12 years old son. He is very talented and taking a piano lessons and professionallg singing in a Naples philharmonic chorus. He also plays violin in his school orchestra. Is it possible for us to find same things in Pittsburgh? I know Pittsburgh people are very sporty and sport fans. My kids are not so sporty( unfortunately ( I Love sport myself)
Please help with your advices. My husband stayed for one week in your city and be likes it.
So questions: what is affordable rent neighborhood with good schools. And will we be able to find something professional for my musical boy singing and playing piano and violin.

Sorry for my Russian accent in this post)))

Thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 02:14 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,355 times
There are dozens of schools in the area that would be top rated in the entire state of Florida. There are also a wide range of activities to your liking, you can find what you need.

As far as specific neighborhoods, the driving here is weird it really does matter where exactly the job is. If its downtown, you have multiple options in the south hills or north suburbs.

And the weather here is worse for a few months in the winter but its all a matter of taste. I will take a couple months of 20 degree weather over half a year of 90 degree weather, personally.

Old 11-12-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
There are dozens of schools in the area that would be top rated in the entire state of Florida. There are also a wide range of activities to your liking, you can find what you need.

As far as specific neighborhoods, the driving here is weird it really does matter where exactly the job is. If its downtown, you have multiple options in the south hills or north suburbs.

And the weather here is worse for a few months in the winter but its all a matter of taste. I will take a couple months of 20 degree weather over half a year of 90 degree weather, personally.
Thank you for your response! Yes it is crazy hot here) in SW Florida. And maybe somewhere deep deep inside I am missing snow. And yes, you are right, we don't have so many top rated schools in Florida ( but not in our Collier county)
My husband's job will be close to downtown. So what neighborhood will work for us?
Thank you

Old 11-12-2018, 02:46 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post

Yes, it really isn't even that cold here IMO. Sure, it's colder than NYC and Philly but winters here are a little milder than what most of the Midwest experiences and we're about what you'd expect in Southern New England.

Plus, our elections aren't a cluster **** like Florida's always seem to be :P

Old 11-12-2018, 04:06 PM

265 posts, read 150,607 times
PA has no pre-pay for college and has the most expensive state school system in the country.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:22 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,459,774 times
Mt Lebanon is a good choice for the south hills. For the north with easy commute id suggest the Ben Avon area.

Honestly though, you may want to consider the city proper and look into Capa for your son. Its an excellent performing arts school https://discoverpps.org/capa

there would be a lot of neighborhoods which may be a good fit. Squirrel hill, shady side, point breeze, highland park to the east, Brighton heights or observatory hill possibly to the north. Brookline, Beechview, Duquesne heights to the south.

what kind of neighborhood/amenities does your family like or think you would like? Obviously city neighborhoods in an older city like Pittsburgh will be very different from Florida type neighborhoods, but perhaps that may be appealing.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:30 PM

755 posts, read 472,266 times
Mt. Lebanon, Bethel Park and Upper St. Clair in the South Hills are all known to have excellent performing arts departments. If he is a prodigy, he will thrive in this city. There is a great tradition of musicianship, especially classical and jazz . We moved here last year and it is just as sports obsessed as any other Northeastern or Midwestern city of similar size. It creates a lot of civic spirit and pride.

Keep posting specific questions on this board and you should get good advice. Good luck and welcome!

Old 11-12-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Yes, it really isn't even that cold here IMO. Sure, it's colder than NYC and Philly but winters here are a little milder than what most of the Midwest experiences and we're about what you'd expect in Southern New England.

Plus, our elections aren't a cluster **** like Florida's always seem to be :P
My husband went to Pittsburgh last week ,and it was really cold for him. We bought wool coat for him to wear , but he was still very cold) We will have to adjust to this weather.
About the election you are right))) surprised us this year)))lol

Old 11-12-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
Mt Lebanon is a good choice for the south hills. For the north with easy commute id suggest the Ben Avon area.

Honestly though, you may want to consider the city proper and look into Capa for your son. Its an excellent performing arts school https://discoverpps.org/capa

there would be a lot of neighborhoods which may be a good fit. Squirrel hill, shady side, point breeze, highland park to the east, Brighton heights or observatory hill possibly to the north. Brookline, Beechview, Duquesne heights to the south.

what kind of neighborhood/amenities does your family like or think you would like? Obviously city neighborhoods in an older city like Pittsburgh will be very different from Florida type neighborhoods, but perhaps that may be appealing.
Thank you so much for your help and advice !
Will carefully look and research.
About the neighborhood: I would love to have families with the kids around ( in Naples majority are 60 or older), side walks must be ( we like to ride our bikes ( I guess it's going to be a long time before we can do it again with your winter coming) . I would be very happy if it is walking distance to some shopping, etc. . I would love to have some gym close by or park ( I love to run)

Old 11-12-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Mt. Lebanon, Bethel Park and Upper St. Clair in the South Hills are all known to have excellent performing arts departments. If he is a prodigy, he will thrive in this city. There is a great tradition of musicianship, especially classical and jazz . We moved here last year and it is just as sports obsessed as any other Northeastern or Midwestern city of similar size. It creates a lot of civic spirit and pride.

Keep posting specific questions on this board and you should get good advice. Good luck and welcome!
Thank you for warm welcome. We are still thinking. Very difficult decision. How was your first year in Pittsburgh? Where are you moved from?
This forum is very helpful. I am trying to specify my questions) but mostly I am very interesting about would people move from Naples Florida to Pittsburgh if they have good house in FL, my husband self-employment, provides enough money, but job is not steardy year around.Kids are happy do really great at schools. Will you move to work in a good company with steardy paycheck . From summer and hit to cloudy cold?
So much to think about)
Please help)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh