Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 10:00 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

This is a shame. When I was a kid Penn Hills was a good school with incredible sports and academics. Wonder why they built such an expensive school?

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...s/201901270119
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 12:11 PM

179 posts, read 106,910 times
This is the commonest story. School officials want to make a name for themselves, so they convince their district to build a new school. "FOR THE CHILDREN." Even though the current one is serviceable, they want to look hip and modern so they can point to it when they run for something else. So they do it, it obviously costs tons of money (they almost always say it won't), and problems result. School buildings don't have a return on investment.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:14 PM

433 posts, read 287,434 times
There seems to have been blatant mismanagement if not outright fraud but that's just from bits and pieces I've read. The beef now seems to be why the DA is taking so long-years-to decide wether to do anything. One thing I did learn that's certain is that many people don't like the DA. They don't trust him. I don't know enough about him and his office to have an opinion one way or another. People in Penn Hills are certainly fed up. I'd be mad too with the taxes they're paying relative to the services they're getting because of mismanagement or fraud.

On the bright side, I believe Penn Hills won the PA State football title.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:20 PM

265 posts, read 150,674 times
Shocking outcomes all around western PA as school districts with declining attendance and population feel the need to build new schools and football fields. Next door neighbor Plum won't be as dire, but seems to also be well on its way to digging its own grave.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:32 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post

On the bright side, I believe Penn Hills won the PA State football title.

And that's all that counts!!!

Old 01-30-2019, 01:16 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shift View Post
This is the commonest story. School officials want to make a name for themselves, so they convince their district to build a new school. "FOR THE CHILDREN." Even though the current one is serviceable, they want to look hip and modern so they can point to it when they run for something else. So they do it, it obviously costs tons of money (they almost always say it won't), and problems result. School buildings don't have a return on investment.

I hope someone will comment on thois, but my understanding is the state has to sign off on all major construction projects. How could the state have approved this project without a financial plan on how it would be financed. How were they able to get bonds approved? Wouldn't they have to get approval from a rating agency to issue bonds?

Old 01-30-2019, 03:35 PM

4,279 posts, read 5,937,011 times
Default The latest school building boon-doggle

Maybe it hasn't hit PA yet, but the latest and greatest money waster coming down the pike is Indoor Football Practice Facilities.

Yup, just like the major universities and professional teams which charge $100 and up to attend a single football game.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:46 AM

433 posts, read 287,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Maybe it hasn't hit PA yet, but the latest and greatest money waster coming down the pike is Indoor Football Practice Facilities.

Yup, just like the major universities and professional teams which charge $100 and up to attend a single football game.
Seems like most college football athletes skate through D1 schools, academically, and I have no problem with that as it really doesn't affect others given that this is the vast minority. And, the big time D1 football schools bring hundreds of millions of dollars to their universities. It is definitly a highly profitable business which pays for other sports that may be money losers. On the other hand, I can't see how it would be profitable at the high school level. Does seem like a big waste to go overboard.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:22 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
PA is the only state that does not grant its citizens a binding referendum on local municipal bond proposals. Tom Ridge ran for governor on a platform of "initiative and referendum" and reneged on both promises. When Pittsburgh had a referendum on the building of the new stadiums, the citizens voted against the proposal but Ridge and the legislature went around the will of the citizens. The legislature then proceeded to approve several useless "arts centers." The "Mountain Laurel Arts Center" in the Poconos- a multimillion dollar boondoggle built with state funds, now lies abandoned.

Last edited by Yac; 02-01-2019 at 01:38 AM.. Reason: copyright; please, provide the source

Old 02-05-2019, 03:44 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
“The reckless financial decisions made by the Penn Hills school board, school administrators and their advisors over the past decade plunged the district into an accelerating downward financial spiral that has resulted in the district’s economic ruin,” the report said.

“The district’s taxpayers may face a future of tax increases accompanied by the loss of property value, while the district’s students face vast uncertainty regarding their education.”

https://triblive.com/local/allegheny...-economic-ruin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh