Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2019, 06:07 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times

Advertisements

Surface bus rider almost everyday for a little under 10 years, bus stop a block from my front porch, buses come every 10 mins during peak hours(98% of the time on time), and its a 20 min ride to work. Can't beat it. Do I use it to go to Monroeville? No, but I never would even if I could easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 07:13 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,240,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The general consensus is that plastics manufacturers will locate themselves near an Etheline cracker plant, so this plant may lead to more than 600 jobs by bringing other polluters into the area.
I don’t know anything about plastic manufacturing but 15 years’ experience says the main plant itself will bring in support companies such as specialty gas & catalyst suppliers, heavy construction equipment rentals, truck fleet management (like F-150s), specialized safety equipment suppliers, temporary facilities, office suppliers & PC rentals, coffee & vending machine suppliers all the way down to sub-contracted janitorial staff. Not to mention other specialty contractors that will eventually take care of maintenance. Each facet of maintenance (pipe, electrical, etc) has its own job and needs support as well. Not to mention hotels, restaurants and retail will get a boost. That is all very long term though. Same with the people who will get rich- it will take many years. Savvy business owners or managers for instance. All the plant workers who stay a long time will retire millionaires with their coveted “big oil” pensions and benefits. The engineers / professionals will be worth $1M on paper by age 40 if they didn’t invest it in fancy trucks / sports cars and easy local women looking for a meal ticket. This is all pretty typical stuff in Texas. It’ll make you think twice before judging a book by its cover. And like I said, a second plant nearby might happen and would only multiply the effect:

Possible Site Of Petrochemical Complex | PTTGC America

Old 05-21-2019, 08:52 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The general consensus is that plastics manufacturers will locate themselves near an Etheline cracker plant, so this plant may lead to more than 600 jobs by bringing other polluters into the area.
I think I saw that in that ancient Dustin Hoffman movie.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:05 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post

Compare this to other metro areas (even those who, like Pittsburgh, are not the biggest cities in the league of New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, et al) like, for instance, your not-to-far-away neighboring Cleveland, Ohio metro area. Since the early 1900s, metro Cleveland and Cuyahoga County at-large it has extensive rail transit (both heavy rail and light rail, underground and aboveground), regular buses, and bus-rapid-transit (BRT) buses and some of its lines run 24/7/365 (e.g., the so-called "HealthLine"). Their rail system covers the great bulk of the metro area (not just Cleveland proper but the surrounding suburbs and towns on all sides around Cleveland and Cuyahoga County and vicinity. It is a major a strike against Pittsburgh, in my mind.

In your mention of Cleveland rail transit, it might be higher than avergae for a city of its size, but its really a stretch to call it extensive and its certainly does not cover the great bulk of the Metro area. Two things its got going over Pittsburgh's T is that it goes to the airport and University area, whereas the T does not (except near Point Park U and Duquesne, but not the bigger ones in Oakland).

Clevelnd RTA all lines combined have 50 stations, but Pittsburgh's T has 53. Cleveland's covers a bit more mileage of track (about 33 miles, vs 27 for the T). More of Pittsburgh's is underground than Cleveland's, and in a more important area (underground in downtown Pittsburgh, vs. only the airport in Cleve). The systems have very similar ridership numbers, although Cleveland's have been dropping faster.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:44 AM

716 posts, read 765,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post

In the end: Can I or will I be able to go from downtown Pittsburgh to Monroeville by a BRT line? From downtown Pittsburgh to Oakland, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, East Liberty, Wilkinsburg, and so on (i.e, other greater East End neighborhoods and municipalities) by a BRT line? From the East End to the malls in the North Hills by a BRT line? and so on and so on? From these areas to the airport by a BRT line? From Oakland to Sewickley by a BRT line? The key words are "pervasive", "frequent", "rapid", and "long-running hours".
With the exception of Sewickley/North Hills I believe the answer to everything else is that is the plan.

And East Lib, Shady side, Williamsburg already have the dedicated busway.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:20 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Well, with the city's population again declining in 2018 we're now smaller than Cincinnati. We'll likely be under 300,000 in the early-2020's.

I guess my rent should start to decrease then due to the dwindling population?

Old 05-23-2019, 09:33 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,656 times
This article is about cities with declining populations that are doing better economically. Pittsburgh is one of them. https://www.governing.com/topics/urb...-thriving.html

Old 05-23-2019, 09:37 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Well, with the city's population again declining in 2018 we're now smaller than Cincinnati. We'll likely be under 300,000 in the early-2020's.

Probably not. Decline is due to elderly population dying off. We have a decent number of people moving here. The newcomers tend to be younger, well educated, and affluent which puts upward pressure on the housing market.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:55 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
Quote:

Hold your breath!

Old 05-23-2019, 11:01 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,166 times
Quote:

Not likely in Polish Hill. Maybe Southside with all the apts having gone up. Puts some downward pressure on the duplexes nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh