Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 08:49 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Yeah I'm sure St. Louis has its good areas, but from what I've heard I can't believe it has more nice areas than Pittsburgh.
In its prime - prior to urban renewal and the blight of its North Side - St. Louis had a more extensive continuous urban form than Pittsburgh. But they systematically demolished so much of it that what's left is in bits and bobs.

It does, however, have a much more cohesive selection of intact walkable suburban downtowns in St. Louis County just to the west of the city. Certainly we have nothing like Clayton, which is like a Mt. Lebanon on steroids, with everything from upscale historic SFH to apartment-block neighborhoods to a secondary CBD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 11:43 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
Quote:
Yeah I'm sure St. Louis has its good areas, but from what I've heard I can't believe it has more nice areas than Pittsburgh.
It's the architecture in the nice areas that to me, beats Pittsburgh. Those private streets are amazing, and they have a lot of them.

Tours by Josh Whitehead: Private Drives of St. Louis

Old 06-04-2019, 06:43 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In its prime - prior to urban renewal and the blight of its North Side - St. Louis had a more extensive continuous urban form than Pittsburgh. But they systematically demolished so much of it that what's left is in bits and bobs.

It does, however, have a much more cohesive selection of intact walkable suburban downtowns in St. Louis County just to the west of the city. Certainly we have nothing like Clayton, which is like a Mt. Lebanon on steroids, with everything from upscale historic SFH to apartment-block neighborhoods to a secondary CBD.
Wow yeah, Clayton is nothing like what Pittsburgh has in its suburbs. It looks more like Silver Spring, MD to me.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:37 AM

14 posts, read 11,446 times
Descend north from covington at night and your would be hard pressed to tell the two apart.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:37 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
i never knew St. Louis to be so rich in grand old homes. I had a friend who was placed there for 2 years for work - he really liked St. Louis.

Definitely worth a visit.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:37 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i never knew St. Louis to be so rich in grand old homes. I had a friend who was placed there for 2 years for work - he really liked St. Louis.

We'll be there in a little over a week for the first time. Super excited! Staying in Benton Park.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:00 AM

994 posts, read 502,206 times
Quote:

St Louis and Cincinnati are very old river cities and relatively big in the 19th century.

St Louis hosted the Olympics at the beginning of the 20th century.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:37 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
We'll be there in a little over a week for the first time. Super excited! Staying in Benton Park.
Looking forward to hearing about your trip. I have a cousin in St Louis that I've been meaning to visit.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:05 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
St Louis and Cincinnati are very old river cities and relatively big in the 19th century.

St Louis hosted the Olympics at the beginning of the 20th century.
Crazy to think of now, but in the 1900 and 1910 censuses, St. Louis was the fourth largest city in the country behind New York, Philly, and Chicago.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:34 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
Quote:
Crazy to think of now, but in the 1900 and 1910 censuses, St. Louis was the fourth largest city in the country behind New York, Philly, and Chicago.
The built environment reflects that. It's a fantastic place if you know where to look.
Lafayette Sq. (fabulous!!!)
Soulard
Central West End
Clayton

The private streets aren't open to the public, but you can still get a good look from outside the gates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh