Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 08:25 PM

43 posts, read 46,731 times

Advertisements

Do you realize the amount of excavating that would need to be done to build this highway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyMaddoxWasTheMan View Post
when looking at this route I discovered a cool little fact (to me at least). You can ride a bicycle on a dedicated right-of-way from Kittanning to Brookville.

I assume this is part of the Pittsburgh-to-Erie trail that’s under development. Will be really great when they extend the trail from Pgh all the way up to Kitanning to connect with this.

As far as the proposal for a highway goes, it really does make sense. I am an environmentalist but I also like to drive, and I think full automation with self driving cars, etc, is far enough off that we are still in the last generation or two of road building. I expect things like the Southern Beltway/MFE to be completed, and probably things like the 219 and 99 extensions north to the NY border, (and 28 to brookville). THEN we should finally be at the end of this era of spending billions on new roads through our green space
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 10:10 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurmsMcKenzie View Post
I think turning 28 into an expressway is unnecessary. Spend the money completing the last troublesome link of 22 (the 15 or so miles around Murrysville) and you probably help 50% of the drivers that would take the new 28 anyways.
Yeah, Murrysville is a hemorrhoid on the arse of every trip I make northeastward.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:46 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Put me in the camp that says no to the 28 to 80 expansion. I travel that route when I take the back way to Chautauqua, very scenic, leisurely drive, and I go for miles and mile without seeing much traffic. Put the money to improve the roads from Downtown to the Great White North.

Few other points: Don't discount the growth along the 28 corridor from the Mills exit to Kittanning. A LOT of commuters on that road. There may not be much new housing at the Northpointe exit, but I can see that changing in the near future. The Mills Mall may be dying, but the stand alone business are doing well. The mall itself could be re-purposed as the access to the site is excellent.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:35 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
I often wonder why politicians in rural areas think that the locals don`t like their community as it is? It`s quiet here in Frazer Twp. and if I wanted to live in a place like Cranberry or Wexford I would move there. I live in the northern part of Frazer that hasn`t been ruined with the disastrous Pittsburgh Mills.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I often wonder why politicians in rural areas think that the locals don`t like their community as it is? It`s quiet here in Frazer Twp. and if I wanted to live in a place like Cranberry or Wexford I would move there. I live in the northern part of Frazer that hasn`t been ruined with the disastrous Pittsburgh Mills.
They see more people as more tax money and more votes.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:20 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
They see more people as more tax money and more votes.
I can`t disagree but I wonder if these pols ever survey their residents to see if they would like a Sheetz and McDonalds as neighbors instead of cows and chickens. 350 acres of woods and farmland were destroyed for the Mills mall. It`s unfortunate that what they did here isn`t a crime and it`s irreversible.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:23 PM

A majority of the public didn't want a new baseball stadium. Guess what?

Old 06-10-2019, 01:41 PM

969 posts, read 772,975 times
Quote:
I can`t disagree but I wonder if these pols ever survey their residents to see if they would like a Sheetz and McDonalds as neighbors instead of cows and chickens. 350 acres of woods and farmland were destroyed for the Mills mall. It`s unfortunate that what they did here isn`t a crime and it`s irreversible.
This is the nature of most suburban development.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:33 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
Few want to farm anymore, especially the children who the property is often left to. Someone could’ve certainly bought the property and kept it how it was, however, it’s often too costly to maintain and pay the taxes on.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:35 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
A majority of the public didn't want a new baseball stadium. Guess what?
Still can’t believe the Pirates received their own stadium. “We need a baseball stadium so we can afford to compete for a championship”. -Bob Nutting.

Truly hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh