Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 11:20 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
So this has been vacant land for how many years now? And they are just getting started on this connector which will take roughly two years. So the end of 2021 this may be complete. When is development starting? Will development of the site be competed by 2030?

you can look the plan up online, go ahead. I don't know why you're complaining to me, I'm not involved in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
`
the bull crap that i hear in this city is amazing. don't let them fool you about this "being cut off" crap.

with our topography, how many neighborhoods are NOT separated by giant valleys and such? here, we area talking about a several block walk. its a ridiculous narrative.

Trust me - i lived in the hill for years - there are those, yes, that walk towards downtown. there are more unpleasant areas to walk in the metro area (ardmore boulevard, for starters). few make that hike, because mostly everyone has a car.

True, people can also take the T to Steel Plaza station -- which is right next to this-- in order to reduce the walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 12:57 PM

969 posts, read 772,565 times
I'm actually happy about the increase in traffic during the project. Drivers will need to learn to adapt and take a back seat to pedestrian projects. The entitled complaints will be funny to listen to and at the end we will have a large new usable space downtown.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:04 PM

615 posts, read 394,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
you can look the plan up online, go ahead. I don't know why you're complaining to me, I'm not involved in it.
I’m not upset. I was just wondering if it will be complete this decade or not. If not I could benefit if I’m looking to buy a new condo.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:17 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
I'm actually happy about the increase in traffic during the project. Drivers will need to learn to adapt and take a back seat to pedestrian projects. The entitled complaints will be funny to listen to and at the end we will have a large new usable space downtown.

Well, let's hope so - so often at a red light they don't even look to the right. instead, they look to the left as they roll through it - very dangerous.

I am hoping there is some plan in place for the immediate area to accept that volume of traffic from teh north to the liberty bridge, and the opposite.

should be fun as a ped or bicyclist to get from the HIll and points east to downtown and the trails....or not.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:04 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
`
the bull crap that i hear in this city is amazing. don't let them fool you about this "being cut off" crap.

with our topography, how many neighborhoods are NOT separated by giant valleys and such? here, we area talking about a several block walk. its a ridiculous narrative.

Trust me - i lived in the hill for years - there are those, yes, that walk towards downtown. there are more unpleasant areas to walk in the metro area (ardmore boulevard, for starters). few make that hike, because mostly everyone has a car.
True. People love to be a victim. Easier that was. Lol.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:09 PM

170 posts, read 97,700 times
I don't know if this is a good idea or not but one thing the city is sorely lacking is green spaces. Sure there is a park here and there are part of zoning codes, but why do we not have something akin to Central Park? There seems to be money for projects like this and billion dollar tunnels to connect our little subway to North Side, why not some serious green space? If i could snap my fingers there is so much real estate down there I would take down.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:13 AM

684 posts, read 419,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm supportive of as many tax dollars as possible being spent to mitigate the impact these freeways had upon our urban fabric decades ago.

If we're spending billions on some stupid airport connector beltway that will just encourage more urban sprawl, then let's also spend billions to build more "caps" over I-579 and I-279 to help these neighborhoods heal.

So someone who lives in Peters Township and works in the Strip District will have a longer commute? Let me get my little violin ready. They could move walking distance to work---like me and my partner.
It's the people who live in the suburbs and work/visit the city that keeps it alive. Without that, you likely don't have a job to go to, so you may not want to be so dismissive of them.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:26 AM

969 posts, read 772,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
It's the people who live in the suburbs and work/visit the city that keeps it alive. Without that, you likely don't have a job to go to, so you may not want to be so dismissive of them.
Prove it.

I'd reverse that and say those who choose to avoid City taxes and schools are a big reason the City isn't more financially stable and vibrant.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:28 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Prove it.

I'd reverse that and say those who choose to avoid City taxes and schools are a big reason the City isn't more financially stable and vibrant.
If the city was more desirable and the schools were better, people wouldn’t have a problem with the taxes. People will pay if they feel they’re getting their money’s worth.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:49 AM

684 posts, read 419,767 times
Quote:
Prove it.

Really? You need someone to prove to you that the number of people who work downtown is vastly greater than the number of people who live downtown?

If that's not something that's obvious to you, then I'm afraid there's no hope of reasonable communication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh