Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 05:03 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times

Advertisements

I like Beechview, but we need to admit that the T absolutely sucks. It’s slower than most busses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 05:35 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I like Beechview, but we need to admit that the T absolutely sucks. It’s slower than most busses.
I don't think so--I can get on the T in Beechview and be downtown in 20 minutes or less, which doesn't seem bad during rush hour. The rest of my commute into Oakland might take 2 or 3 times as long on the bus.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:47 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't think so--I can get on the T in Beechview and be downtown in 20 minutes or less, which doesn't seem bad during rush hour. The rest of my commute into Oakland might take 2 or 3 times as long on the bus.

That what BRT is supposed to fix, I think.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:05 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
The T is considerably slower than the busway (max speed IIRC is 45mph) but it's much faster than surface bus routes.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:23 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That what BRT is supposed to fix, I think.
Yeah it will make the journey from Downtown to Oakland much faster, which will also make the ride faster for people further out who live in neighborhoods where their buses go through Oakland. But you know, some say it won't be a benefit for anyone.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:05 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The T is considerably slower than the busway (max speed IIRC is 45mph) but it's much faster than surface bus routes.
The T, in my experience feels slower than even surface bus routes. In some areas it’s barely faster than walking.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:22 PM

615 posts, read 394,178 times
Quote:
The T is a very old system. It is a trolly line and is actually slower than light rail. The electrical systems that power the network are old, dated and costly to repair. They are only one of three cities using trolley gauge rail line in the nation. The other being New Orleans and Philadelphia has one line trolley gauge.

It is likely the reason you don’t see this system expanded its obsolete. You would have to get rail cars specially made to run on the tracks. The cars currently on the t system were specially built in 1985 and have been refurbished once or maybe twice since then. If the T system needed major repairs it is likely they would abandon rather than fix it. That’s the reason the Allentown line was shut down. The electrical system is worn and can only have one set of cars going up or down warrington Ave.

There’s are only 15 heavy rail public transportation systems in the USA and the smallest city that has it is Cleveland. The rest are light rail and some only consider Pittsburgh as a step lower than a light rail, which makes sense because the cars are slower. It’s ultimately a trolley line that has stops underground.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:53 PM

22 posts, read 21,938 times
On the other hand, the three existing busways (Bus Rapid Transit #BRT) that Pittsburgh has are quite advanced. Impressive as hell, and quite the demonstration of how BRT can be faster, cheaper to build, and cheaper to run than light rail.

Meanwhile, other cities are reserving a lane of regular road for "BRT", without even any physical separation from car traffic, enforcement against double-parked cars, or signal priority. It's a bit of a joke.

I keep reading about how Pittsburgh is excited to potentially welcome BRT to a downtown -> Oakland route. That will be wonderful, but ... don't ignore the BRT you already have. It's some of the best in the country!

Old 10-10-2019, 05:14 AM

170 posts, read 97,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Yeah it will make the journey from Downtown to Oakland much faster, which will also make the ride faster for people further out who live in neighborhoods where their buses go through Oakland. But you know, some say it won't be a benefit for anyone.
https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbu...t?oid=15445712

I would be curious to see the proposed implementation, which I am sure will eventually be made available. I feel as if the only way to really do this would be to build some new infrastructure and possibly eminent domain some buildings.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:22 AM

170 posts, read 97,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
The T is a very old system. It is a trolly line and is actually slower than light rail. The electrical systems that power the network are old, dated and costly to repair. They are only one of three cities using trolley gauge rail line in the nation. The other being New Orleans and Philadelphia has one line trolley gauge.

It is likely the reason you don’t see this system expanded its obsolete. You would have to get rail cars specially made to run on the tracks. The cars currently on the t system were specially built in 1985 and have been refurbished once or maybe twice since then. If the T system needed major repairs it is likely they would abandon rather than fix it. That’s the reason the Allentown line was shut down. The electrical system is worn and can only have one set of cars going up or down warrington Ave.

There’s are only 15 heavy rail public transportation systems in the USA and the smallest city that has it is Cleveland. The rest are light rail and some only consider Pittsburgh as a step lower than a light rail, which makes sense because the cars are slower. It’s ultimately a trolley line that has stops underground.
Thanks for the interesting information. Based on what you are saying it sounds as if the "T" has a limited lifespan, so what happens to the roughly 600,000 riders per month who depend on it when it goes kaput?

Incidentally, in 2018 the Port Authority had 741 buses and 83 rail cars.

https://www.portauthority.org/siteas...st/2018asr.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh