Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 03:34 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
The Pens are a class organization. It’s great to have FNB. They are a great bank and company started in this region.

I’m surprised a tech company did not expand. According to some on this board. The tech growth is in gangbusters growth mode. I would’ve thought a tech company to jump in and anchor this building adding hundreds of employees making this city the next Silicon Valley. I’m disappointed. I guess banking is still larger than tech.
It’s obvious that many think Mario, Rutherford, Sullivan, etc..., we’re going to be in charge of this project. They also obviously have no idea what Ron Burkle does other than being a part owner.

No surprise here. I’m certainly not expect a giant tech company to come in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 04:41 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Very happy with this overall. I do wish the tower was a tad taller though. This whole development will come down to quality design. If designed well and built with good material, this could transform the expansion of downtown and become a highly attractive destination area. If they value-engineer the crap out of everything it could be a disaster. Given the prominence of the site, I'm hoping they make the right choice!

Old 12-12-2019, 06:17 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Very happy with this overall. I do wish the tower was a tad taller though. This whole development will come down to quality design. If designed well and built with good material, this could transform the expansion of downtown and become a highly attractive destination area. If they value-engineer the crap out of everything it could be a disaster. Given the prominence of the site, I'm hoping they make the right choice!
Pittsburgh doesn’t really need anymore high rise buildings. It is having trouble filling the ones it currently has now. The citizens bank building is over 60 percent vacant and the Mellon building is about 40 percent vacant. Not to mention low occupancy rates of class C and B high rise office buildings downtown. Pittsburgh needs more businesses to fill the unused office space it currently has.

I keep hoping the tech industry will help fill this unused space. Unfortunately I don’t think it is as great of a job creator as some folks claim.

Old 12-13-2019, 04:52 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh doesn’t really need anymore high rise buildings. It is having trouble filling the ones it currently has now. The citizens bank building is over 60 percent vacant and the Mellon building is about 40 percent vacant. Not to mention low occupancy rates of class C and B high rise office buildings downtown. Pittsburgh needs more businesses to fill the unused office space it currently has.

I keep hoping the tech industry will help fill this unused space. Unfortunately I don’t think it is as great of a job creator as some folks claim.
Lol okay sure.

That's why a company with billions in assets would just randomly build a new skyscraper... I'm sure FNB is "just falling for the hype" right?

Smdh.

Old 12-13-2019, 04:58 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Lol okay sure.

That's why a company with billions in assets would just randomly build a new skyscraper... I'm sure FNB is "just falling for the hype" right?

Smdh.
Look online at the vacancy rates of those two buildings. There is a few million sq.ft. of vacant office space downtown. The citizens bank building in the heart of downtown is 40 stories and over 60 percent vacant.

I don’t really care what they do as far as high rises. I just responded to the poster the city doesn’t need more high rises because there is a lot of vacant space as it is now. I’d rather see existing buildings go to 100 percent occupancy. You want sustainability and not contributing to more traffic and pollution. Use what you already have.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:05 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
I’m surprised a tech company did not expand. According to some on this board. The tech growth is in gangbusters growth mode. I would’ve thought a tech company to jump in and anchor this building adding hundreds of employees making this city the next Silicon Valley. I’m disappointed. I guess banking is still larger than tech.
Tech growth in our city has traditionally been slow to moderate. A new high-rise is being built---speculatively---starting next year in the Strip District when the old Wholey's warehouse building near the 16th Street Bridge will be demolished. Facebook is occupying a new building just across Smallman Street from this site, so I'm assuming the developer is hoping that Facebook might want to someday expand across the street into their new building to create a "campus"-like setting the way we see with Google and Bakery Square or the way Amazon has a "campus" in Seattle.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:20 AM

716 posts, read 765,836 times
Quote:
Look online at the vacancy rates of those two buildings. There is a few million sq.ft. of vacant office space downtown. The citizens bank building in the heart of downtown is 40 stories and over 60 percent vacant
That particular building was sold just 3 years ago for $67,650,000 with the intent of completing renovations, similar to what has occupied across the street at the Union Trust.

Before I further engage, can somebody explain to me - is this poster the new/old zman or guy from Wierton? Or similar? I can't keep track of all the "characters" on this board. It's like a comic book with it's heros and villains, and often it's like Russian election hacking with its spread of (dis)information.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
That particular building was sold just 3 years ago for $67,650,000 with the intent of completing renovations, similar to what has occupied across the street at the Union Trust.

Before I further engage, can somebody explain to me - is this poster the new/old zman or guy from Wierton? Or similar? I can't keep track of all the "characters" on this board. It's like a comic book with it's heros and villains, and often it's like Russian election hacking with its spread of (dis)information.
I don't think we're allowed to discuss other members personally, but, yes, I'm 99.9% confident this poster is a reincarnation of the same poster who has lived in either Columbus and/or Weirton over the years and says they only left Pittsburgh because Pittsburgh's employers don't pay well enough.

Just because someone has a dissenting voice from the "group think", though, doesn't mean they should be silenced. This forum seems to be split roughly half/half now between those leaning pro-Pittsburgh and those leaning anti-Pittsburgh, and I think that helps to keep us balanced.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:43 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Quote:
Look online at the vacancy rates of those two buildings. There is a few million sq.ft. of vacant office space downtown. The citizens bank building in the heart of downtown is 40 stories and over 60 percent vacant.

I don’t really care what they do as far as high rises. I just responded to the poster the city doesn’t need more high rises because there is a lot of vacant space as it is now. I’d rather see existing buildings go to 100 percent occupancy. You want sustainability and not contributing to more traffic and pollution. Use what you already have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Lol okay sure.

Smdh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post

There are a ton of factors that go into vacancy of current buildings. It is not as simple as “look at X building it is mostly vacant why build a new tower!”. This tower already has a committed corporate anchor. Other buildings being vacant or partially vacant downtown has nothing to do with it. With this logic, the tenet should have just partaken in the renovation/redevelopment of the Granite Building (which is planned). Different companies need different things in a space.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:46 AM

I really wish DICK'S Sporting Goods would move into the city from the suburbs someday. I could definitely see them occupying many floors in a Downtown building or being able to build a new mid-rise commercial building in the Strip or Lower Hill District.

I know IndependentThinker wants to see growth continue to accelerate along the I-376 West/I-79 Corridors to help people in Weirton find better-paying jobs closer to their homes; however, I-376 between the Fort Pitt Tunnels and Robinson Township really can't accommodate too much more vehicular traffic being only four lanes. The more and more employers who site themselves out there, the worse and worse I-376 becomes in subsequent years because 100% of workers in that area need to drive to work whereas only about 50% of Downtown workers drive to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh