Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 06:28 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
1.) I'm talking distance-wise---not time-wise. It's only 50 minutes between your office and Etna because traffic congestion is worsening in the city. It's not like Etna is 50 miles from Pittsburgh, and the average speed of your commute is 50 miles per hour. Etna is only 10 minutes from your office with zero traffic.

2.) I'd be a homeowner today, but I made poor choices in my past that I'm still paying for---not the least of which was a drug addict ex who stole from me---along with student loans. My partner and I make ~$60,000/year combined. That's plenty to buy a home here in a neighborhood like Etna or Brighton Heights or Beechview or Lincoln Place.

In any event I'll never understand why people commute to Pittsburgh from such distant places. Why live in Slippery Rock and work in Pittsburgh?
I’m curious did you both go to college? The reason I ask is your point #2. I would not be satisfied with those wages. That is extremely low for somebody over 30, with experience and an education. That’s why I left Pittsburgh the first time. Gained experience and came back. I make double that amount by myself and my journey took me through two other large cities and a small midwestern town before coming back. I had the freedom to live anywhere in the Midwest or mid Atlantic. My salary was higher by itself working for a company in Ft. Wayne, Indiana.

Some people don’t care about salary and maybe you are happy. I know I wasn’t and wouldn’t stay here or anywhere else for low wages. I know the salaries here overall aren’t the greatest. I talked to a headhunter and local companies that pay well are either in trades or computers. Everything else she said was a crap shoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 07:00 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,858,573 times
[quote=prnlvsxy;56789835]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post

Ok, I've checked Google Maps this morning, at 7:45 AM to get travel times:

Cranberry to Pittsburgh: 44 Minutes
Slippery Rock to Pittsburgh: 1 Hour, 14 Minutes
I checked Google Maps at 8:38 AM and it still says Slippery Rock to Pittsburgh is 51 minutes and Cranberry to Pittsburgh is 24 minutes. I don’t even understand how you could be getting significantly different drive times than me using Google Maps.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:33 AM

684 posts, read 419,767 times
[quote=trackstar13;56790205]
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post

I checked Google Maps at 8:38 AM and it still says Slippery Rock to Pittsburgh is 51 minutes and Cranberry to Pittsburgh is 24 minutes. I don’t even understand how you could be getting significantly different drive times than me using Google Maps.
That was yesterday ... perhaps there was a wreck, or worse traffic?

In any event, I checked just now (9:32 AM) and SR -> PGH : 51 minutes CRAN -> PGH: 24 minutes

AGAIN....OVER twice as long ( 24 * 2 = 48...which is less than 51).

I'm not sure how else to communicate with you, if you're going to be obtuse about facts.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:42 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
I’m curious did you both go to college? The reason I ask is your point #2. I would not be satisfied with those wages. That is extremely low for somebody over 30, with experience and an education. That’s why I left Pittsburgh the first time. Gained experience and came back. I make double that amount by myself and my journey took me through two other large cities and a small midwestern town before coming back. I had the freedom to live anywhere in the Midwest or mid Atlantic. My salary was higher by itself working for a company in Ft. Wayne, Indiana.

Some people don’t care about salary and maybe you are happy. I know I wasn’t and wouldn’t stay here or anywhere else for low wages. I know the salaries here overall aren’t the greatest. I talked to a headhunter and local companies that pay well are either in trades or computers. Everything else she said was a crap shoot.
As an aside not all of us care about money. If I solely cared about money I'd probably be earning an $80,000 salary now back in Fairfax County, VA, which is where I lived before Pittsburgh.

My base salary is just over $30,000 here. With overtime I make ~$45,000/year. My partner makes about $26,000/year. Combined we live comfortably in Pittsburgh in a 1-BR apartment in a safe, convenient city neighborhood. We can both walk to work. We don't have children to support.

Will I ever drive a BMW? No. Will I buy a McMansion in McCandless? No. Will I be able to drive a pre-owned Honda and live in a 2-BR house in Beechview someday soon? You betcha. That's good enough for some of us. I realize half the East End wants to drive a Tesla while simultaneously decrying the plight of the third-world, but we're not all like that. My only bad expensive habit is that my ex helped me to develop a Starbucks addiction.

Yes, for what I personally do (skilled crime analysis) I'm underpaid relative to peers in other cities. My partner is paid less than his peers at other banks for doing the same work. We could both easily leave our jobs for more money---in Pittsburgh or elsewhere. Not all of us are always "looking for the next best thing". Some of us hit a point where we're content with inertia. I'd of course like to make closer to $40,000/year base, which is more appropriate for what I do, but that will never happen as long as our incumbent mayor doesn't value city employees.

Anyways, that question to us was WAY off-topic.

Back on-topic? I think urbanized area is the best metric to determine a city's true size. I think Cranberry Township, for example, is certainly a part of "Greater Pittsburgh". Same with Murrysville, Peters Township, and Clairton. Slippery Rock Township? No. Hopwood? No. Leechburg? No. Claysville? No. If there is contiguous development (or semi-development) between the city and your location? Yes, you're a "Greater Pittsburgher" to me. If there's an interruption of a few miles of rural areas? No. You're not a suburbanite or an exurbanite.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:03 AM

[quote=prnlvsxy;56790502]
Quote:

In any event, I checked just now (9:32 AM) and SR -> PGH : 51 minutes CRAN -> PGH: 24 minutes

I'm not sure how else to communicate with you, if you're going to be obtuse about facts.
What you are stating is not fact, it is simply an estimated travel time based on ideal conditions without traffic. It has already been established as fact that the traffic north of Cranberry is significantly less than in or around Cranberry or south of Cranberry. With any amount of traffic it is impossible to make it to Pittsburgh from Cranberry in 24 minutes. It is weird that you seem upset about an article listing Slippery Rock as a Pittsburgh suburb. It is just semantics to me, but since all of Butler County including Slippery Rock is part of the Pittsburgh MSA, I would be happy to label it as an exurb if it makes you feel better.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:47 AM

684 posts, read 419,767 times
[quote=trackstar13;56790828]
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post

What you are stating is not fact, it is simply an estimated travel time based on ideal conditions without traffic. It has already been established as fact that the traffic north of Cranberry is significantly less than in or around Cranberry or south of Cranberry. With any amount of traffic it is impossible to make it to Pittsburgh from Cranberry in 24 minutes..
No, what I posted was what Google says is the travel time, in real time, taking traffic, etc into consideration. It's proven to me to be highly accurate anytime that I use it, almost to the minute.

But hey, whatever peanut butters your bread.....if you want to commute from Northside, Cranberry, Slippery Rock, Toronto, Anchorage, knock yourself out. If you want to call London England a neighborhood of Pittsburgh, have at it. It's just words. I find everything works out if we all have our own definitions rather than a collective definition. Makes communication really easy.

At that, I'm done trying to introduce facts and logic into this discussion. Enjoy the world you live in!

I just hope that people who come here to find out about Pittsburgh to move here don't read your posts and think that they can have a reasonable life buying a house in Slippery Rock and commuting to Pittsburgh every day.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:07 AM

[quote=prnlvsxy;56791220]
Quote:

No, what I posted was what Google says is the travel time, in real time, taking traffic, etc into consideration. It's proven to me to be highly accurate anytime that I use it, almost to the minute.

But hey, whatever peanut butters your bread.....if you want to commute from Northside, Cranberry, Slippery Rock, Toronto, Anchorage, knock yourself out. If you want to call London England a neighborhood of Pittsburgh, have at it. It's just words. I find everything works out if we all have our own definitions rather than a collective definition. Makes communication really easy.

At that, I'm done trying to introduce facts and logic into this discussion. Enjoy the world you live in!

I just hope that people who come here to find out about Pittsburgh to move here don't read your posts and think that they can have a reasonable life buying a house in Slippery Rock and commuting to Pittsburgh every day.
Google maps is highly accurate and as soon as one leaves Cranberry to try and reach a destination in Pittsburgh at 8 AM on a weekday it will readjust the drive time to reflect slowdowns and traffic conditions and it will be longer than 24 minutes. You have introduced no facts and only multiple straw man fallacies. People can have a very reasonable life buying a house in or around Slippery Rock, especially if they can’t afford Cranberry. I just hope that people who come here looking for advice don’t listen to the people on this forum who are hyper-regionalists and they are able to find the house or area that fits them best. The city vs. suburb daily battle in this sub-forum is exhausting.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:23 AM

265 posts, read 150,737 times
Territorial Yinzers arguing over what is/isn’t Pittsburgh. Great debate!

Old 12-05-2019, 12:36 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
[quote=prnlvsxy;56790502]
Quote:

Stats, numbers, etc..., don’t lie, but are often unpopular and can’t be accepted by some.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amattaro View Post
Territorial Yinzers arguing over what is/isn’t Pittsburgh. Great debate!
Yinz City Dwellers better stay out of the burbs with your Bernie stickers and electric vehicles and the SUV Driving Exurbanites better stay out of the city with it's vast bike lanes and liberalism as far as the eye can see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh