Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 12:30 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
The below quotes are from the Trib article about this: https://triblive.com/local/pittsburg...trict-oakland/

The P-G had a story about the same topic: https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202001270098

This is... laughable.
If anyone thinks that a 'public-private partnership' to build a gondola to connect the Hill to the Strip and Oakland has the aim of benefiting existing residents of the Hill then I have a bridge to sell you.
People snicker when I say that the Hill is going to be gentrified to make room for the tech bros who will be working in an ever-expanding Strip District and Oakland - but obviously Peduto sees things the same way. The Middle Hill will gentrify given its excellent location (connected to the tech hub of the Strip, downtown, the eds and meds center of Oakland, adjacent to the massively expanding Mercy Hospital campus, and easy access to the South Side and Bloomfield and Lawrenceville).

Further adding to the laugh factor - if anyone cared about improving public transit access for the folks who actually need it, there would be more of a push to expand access to the Mon Valley - the most of thinking that the City of Pittsburgh is the center of the un?

So wouldn't the gondola idea be environmentally friendly? Wouldn't it help those who can't afford a car to get to the city? A lot of Millennials are into not driving and so wouldn't having alternative modes of transport, the gondola being one, be a good idea to consider? This to me seems innovative. I kind of worry about you said regarding this leading to gentrification, but wouldn't destroying houses and building roads to connect the places you mentioned be more likely to bring about gentrification?

Old 02-01-2020, 12:34 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,021 times
I'm fine with any alternatives. I just don't see where you put that and how much of an impact it would be able to have not even considering costs.

Old 02-01-2020, 12:44 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I'm fine with any alternatives. I just don't see where you put that and how much of an impact it would be able to have not even considering costs.
It appears as if he was just throwing these ideas out there. I would think the city would have to do it's due diligence and then inform the people before anything concrete. Someone mentioned Medellin earlier. I'm not saying Pittsburgh is similar, but I'd curious as to what they'll come up with.

Old 02-01-2020, 12:48 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Wouldn't it help those who can't afford a car to get to the city?
How would that happen mate? The places that it would connect are already all neighborhoods within the City. It doesn't connect disadvantaged folks to transit centers. Its just something unique and trendy that the idiot mayor floated in order to attract attention from brogrammers.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:08 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
How would that happen mate? The places that it would connect are already all neighborhoods within the City. It doesn't connect disadvantaged folks to transit centers. Its just something unique and trendy that the idiot mayor floated in order to attract attention from brogrammers.
Wouldn’t this gondola set up help people form the Hill get to the Strip, where they could shop for groceries, but most esp fresh produce at places like Stans? It would also take them closer to the Grant Street Transportation center and Amtrak.

Old 02-01-2020, 03:29 PM

369 posts, read 463,239 times
Do we really want these things littering our skyline?

Let me know when we solve the problem of high winds, thunderstorms, and fear of heights (which eliminates its use for a good portion of the population).

Old 02-01-2020, 03:57 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
Do we really want these things littering our skyline?
Probably not.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:32 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Seriously, this thread had at least 5 different off-topic discussions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh